Customer reviews

The Glass God (Magicals Anonymous)
Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 26 October 2013
The Glass God is the follow up to Stray Souls , set in the Midnight Mayor universe.

The story, told from a range of perspectives, follows the heroine Sharon Li and her slightly motley crew of assorted magical beings once again on a mission to save the City and, this time, track down it's missing Midnight Mayor.

The writing is strong enough too keep the slightly sillier elements just on the right side of entertaining (rather than annoying), babes. Although I hated the Tribes txt spk conversation...

The story is interesting and the mystery is well plotted. The book is fast-paced and driven by dialogue and it would have been nice to have a bit more reflection on some of the events. Sharon is forced to defend herself and deal out retribution, actions that are quite at odds with the positive personality built up in this book and the previous one that could have done with a bit more exploration.

The characters are fun and engaging, and the connection is helped by getting to see the inner-thoughts of many of them. The Aldermen, Kelly and Miles remain a bit mysterious (I haven't read the original series) but I liked both characters.

Overall it was a fun read that kept me entertained throughout. I'll definitely look for the next book but will be hoping for some character development to move things on.
on 13 September 2013
But after reading Glass God, I very much fancy Sharon.

The shame is there are only the two books so it feels as though Sharon has at last decided to go off with that wet wheezing druid, which I understand as he seems a likeable chap, but where does that leave me.

The Midnight Mayor having a sticky time of it was so well written you can actually feel the horror of the inability to help or in Sammy's case, almost not giving a stuff, which of course is not true.

Any more on the way? I sincerely hope so.
on 23 September 2013
I love Kate Griffin's writing and her conception of magic, but this book might have been my least favourite so far. It was fun and the characters were likeable, but I battled to get really immersed in the story. On the one hand, it's refreshing to have realistic dialogue - as a 20-something, I felt like everyone, you know, spoke like me, yeah? But on the other hand, I felt that a lot of the characters didn't have distinct voices. I really want to love Sharon, and I do like her, but after two books I still feel like I'm trying to make sense of her as a character. I'll definitely keep reading the series, but so far I much prefer the original Matthew Swift books.
on 22 December 2013
New idea and interesting in concept. Characters interesting and well developed at outset. Good plot that romps along - although not sure that even with magical assistance you can get by with that little sleep and poor diet! Think there is milage in the characters but they need to move forward as a result of their experiences and develop further. Also, whilst I have a bias as a Welsh woman but would like the Welsh Druid to be a bit less of a whimp.
on 28 November 2013
What a thoroughly enjoyable book. Sharon's monologues, Kelly's enthusiasm, Gretel's canapés... It all fits together. The usual slog and exhaustion, although I was delighted that there was sleep slotted into the saving the world schedule, this time. And so much wry humour, human observation, and underpinning it all, a deep affection for every wart, scab and beauty that make up London.
on 31 August 2015
Great fun. How can it not be with characters such as a seven foot troll called Gretel that like fine food and a gay vampire with OCD? Just as good a romp as the last one. It reminds me of the Peter Grant series, but is different enough. The sort of book that will take your mind off things and give you a laugh.
on 26 July 2013
A series of strange disappearances? Ancient Spirits of London running amok? People dying from the Black Death? With the consciousness of London's Midnight Mayor going missing, it's up to Sharon to use her shaman powers and creed of positive thinking to save the city from the forces of darkness. Kate Griffin has written another great book! Really enjoyable and an exciting read.
on 20 October 2015
How does she write the stories and draw the characters and plots that we wished we could? Yet another thoroughly engaging and hugely entertaining deployment of imagination and crafted humour
on 1 September 2015
Really enjoyed this series - great plots & characters - funny too
on 29 September 2013
loving these books and hope there will be more soon. great characters, great stories, can see real development of the whole world they occupy as the series of books progresses. Have now started on the matthew swift books (which I think actually came first) and enjoying them just as much