• Feed

Customer reviews

Feed
Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 July 2017
Love this trilogy. Just wish Book 2 and 3 came as an audiobook too. Really enjoyable.
on 24 August 2017
Intelligent vampire virus. Love her books can't wait to read the next one.
on 19 September 2017
Clever book, better than your average zombie book with some twists. Would recommend to teens and adults alike
on 2 October 2016
bought as a present for my girlfriend. she loves it (and she is quite picky with books)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 27 June 2017
So this series was recommended to me by my mother who is quite a horror action fan. I decided to give it a go though zombie novels aren't so much my thing. Not that I dislike them, I don't, it's just i've seen many zombie films/games and just don't feel that anything about them could really stand out much yet this book, Feed, actually surprised me quite a bit.

The story focuses on two characters, adopted brother and sister Shaun and Georgina Mason. They are living in a world full of zombies. The thing that felt fresh about the novel is that it's not an apocalypse, humanity fought back, contained it and while there are no go zones, and blood tests for health and safety reasons to detect the virus, other wise life has gone on as before, only with zombies. The siblings are a pair of bloggers, a form of news reporters in the future who do a mixture of reporting on the truth, and doing stupid things with zombies for entertainment to keep their ratings up. They get a big job however, following a senator on his quest for presidency, this is their big shot to break out as journalists, what could go wrong?

To me, this is not a zombie novel. Oh sure, it has zombies in it, but it's more about how society has adapted to it and how people live in it with their fear and insane safety precautions. I really enjoyed it, Georgina especially is a pretty cool character (her brother is kind of a dipstick though) and some of the ideas and moments are really exciting and I found myself really wanting to know what happens next. That said it isn't perfect with a couple of parts of it that could have done with being slightly less cheesey or fleshed (no pun intended) out a little more but overall it's a great read.

+ Great setting, feels quite fresh.
+ Pretty addictive, a real page turner.
+ Georgina is a pretty good character.

Edit: For some reason this review for the first book in this series Feed, also appears for book 2 Deadline, this may confuse anyone who reads this. For the reference I found the second book to be a step down from the first book and felt just like a stepping stone to reach the conclusion in the third. There are still some good moments here and there that kept me engaged but the characters I found all pretty unlikeable 3/5 stars.
on 3 September 2017
So I have seen this book around a few book sites and when I saw my local library had it I wanted to see if it way any good. Well for me it was a decent read worth 4 wine glasses. Only because of two reasons 1. Is because it took me until about the second attack to really get into the book. 2. I have no clue really what Newises, Fictionals, and Irwins really were in the blogging world. I know that is something small but it bothered me.
Characters I actually really like Georgia and Shaun as brother and sister they made a bad-a.. team trying to get the news to the public.
In zombie stories we always have it go the way of the heroine killing them, finding survivors and trying to live. In this story that has zombies (even animals that can become zombies) we have a community of people living a semi-normal life with the occasional outbreaks and getting the news out to the people. This isn't your normal run of the mill news this is news via camera feeds and being put up on After the End times blog. You have testing when you enter a place or vehicle and then you have to test when you exit. In this new world it is very testing so to speak.
When Georgia and Shaun get to be part of the biggest story ever it will jump their ratings like never before. They get to cover the man running for presidency how neat is that! Georgia lets it be known that she will record any and everything though when outbreaks start happening, and her people start dying she realizes that the story is bigger than before. I will say this Georgia and her crew will stop at nothing to uncover what is going on even if that means dying themselves.
I do think I plan on reading the next book in this series because where we leave off I am wondering what Shaun is going to be up to.
on 25 April 2012
such a great book that i wake up wondering what happened next! you need to read the first one, FEED, before though as alot of the references wont make sense otherwise. cant wait for the next and final instalment due in June. bring on the dead!
on 14 November 2010
You could never call it unputdownable, because I put it down twice, whilist I read other novels.
Even so I still managed to read in within a 7 day period, so not bad.
At least the writer attempted a new take on a zombie ate my brain tale.
I have no problem with the change of narrator, but I honestly cannot see where they can go in books 2 and 3. I have an open mind and I like to see things reach a logical conclusion. So yes I will be back for book 2 certainly.
on 2 August 2017
I have the paper back version bought somewhere else but I LOVE this book! Zombies political assassins well rounded characters drama
deadline the second one is the only book that's ever made me have to put down a book out of an emotional reaction
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 8 March 2011
I was so looking forward to reading this book based on some of the better reviews but I should have paid heed to the worst ones. I am fairly new to the zombie genre of books and although I knew it was not going to be a zombie-fest, what remained was pure repetitious drivel. Like a previous reviewer I was also thoroughly fed-up with the constant references to the main character's eye condition and found that the triumverate of bloggers were so stereotypical of a kid's cartoon show I really think that this was written with a TV serial in mind - Scooby Doo meets Bart Simpson comes to mind. The adopted brother and sister bloggers are in their late 20s and it's 26 years after the first appearance of zombies yet the brother jumps fences and gets his kicks from baiting and poking zombies with a stick! I thought I'd stumbled on a book meant for teenagers after reading the opening chapter. For the first time in years I found myself flicking whole swathes of pages trying to escape ad nauseum descriptions of the retina sensitivity of that flat, one-dimensional character of the sister.

Half-way through this book I felt a zombie-like rage come over me and finally gave up at page 250. Even the rare bits of zombie action in this book was mild! I didn't find that this book portrayed one bit of 'intelligent writing' ; long-drawn-out details of the bloggers technical equipment did not make interesting reading for me. I can only remember one other book where I could find nothing good to say about it but hey, compared to this load of twaddle, it's looking more like War and Peace. One last word, this reviewer will be first to say, 'I knew it!' if this turns out to be a TV serial like the current fashion for vampire programmes.
44 Comments| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse