Customer reviews

Grave Peril: The Dresden Files, Book Three: 3
Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 December 2014
After my boyfriend introduced my to the Dresdan Files, I’ve been hooked. He gave me this book for our six month anniversary in November and I had to stop myself from diving right in due to the other books I was reading at the time.

This book is a bit darker than the previous ones, certainly Butcher has no qualms with making poor Harry suffer! Bianca, the vampire madame, makes a return in Grave Peril and makes Harry’s life a misery – nothing new there.

I was sucked in by the story, it kept me guessing. The ‘big bad’ of this book is called the Nightmare and I didn’t figure out the ending this time around, which made it a nice surprise.

I will admit that I didn’t like the things that were happening – but purely because they were mean things and I just wanted to wrap Harry up in a blanket and cuddle the poor guy!

The ending almost made me cry, I was so upset by what Butcher did to Harry and the others. Obviously, I don’t want to give too much away, but I put the book down when I was finished and had to give myself a couple minutes to get over what I had just read.

If you’ve read the previous Dresdan Files books and loved them, you’ll love this too, but it may hit you right in the feels. Fans of superntural/crime stories will most likely enjoy the Dresdan Files too.

For me, this story gripped me tight and didn’t let go, but due to the fact that it was just so mean, I feel like I hate it – which is actually a good thing!
on 16 March 2015
The third book of the phenomena that is the Dresden Files gets off to a flying start. Literally. The first two chapters are spent ghost busting in the local hospital’s paediatric ward where a paranormal serial killer of children keeps returning in her deluded attempt to protect them all from her violent and abusive (but also deceased) husband. The trouble is, by saving the babies from the potential (and non existent) threat of her husband, she is actually killing them. This time around, Dresden has a new ally, in the form of Holy Knight Michael, who comes complete with white cloak, medieval sword and complete and utter faith in his beloved Christ and the Power of Good.

Chapter two ends of a pseudo cliff hanger - which is probably some kind of record in the history of popular fiction, as who puts a cliff hanger right at the start of a book? Jim Butcher does. And the world is (or it bloody well should be) forever grateful.

The reader gets a chance to take a breath, relax and take a look out of the train window for a few moments as the pace of the story drops back to normal. This is where Harry meets his latest client - a stunningly beautiful young woman (complete with matching figure) called Lydia who convinces him that she is suffering from “Cassandra’s Tears” and therefore without our hero’s protection, she won’t survive the night. And we all know how much resistance a certain wizard has when it comes to beautiful women....

This is easily the best Dresden book so far. The plot sizzles along at a break neck pace, the jokes are back, it is relatively spooky and as I have already mentioned, it comes pre-packed with a plethora of cliffhangers. The thing is simply unputdownablly FUN to read. All books should be like this. Well, actually, all books SHOULD not be like this, but certainly books aimed at this particular genre should have at least one book like this in a given set.

Moving on.... So what is missing from the e-ink of my kindle screen? Well by the time you reach the ten percent mark, there is no mention of the FBI, or Lt. Murphy, the local members of the Chicago Police Department. Have I said how good this book is? Have I said which characters are yet to make an appearance? Have I said how good this book is? I think I see a connection there...

There is only a small mention of Harry’s part time love interest, Susan Rodriguez, famous (and syndicated) reporter for the Chicago Arcane Newspaper. She enters from stage left, briefly, in three, and soon departs in order for the story’s for the main characters to entertain you. No doubt she will return, when the time is right. And when Mr Butcher writes her back into the story.

I love this novel. Book one was a great introduction to the concept of a Private Detective with Wizard-type Powers setting out to save the world from the bad guys and bad demons. Book two fell over itself somewhat when it tried to take itself too seriously. This is easily the best of the first three books and naturally I have to award it full marks. I demand it. Logic demands it. And so do my funny bones. And yours will, too.

BFN Greggoio!
After reading something as thought-provoking as Ian McDonald's The Dervish House, I was aware that I needed to tackle something lighter, something more fast-paced, for my next book. And Jim Butcher's Grave Peril, the third installment in the now insanely popular The Dresden Files sequence, appeared to fit the bill rather perfectly.

Though a bit formulaic and episodic in format, the misadventures of the wizard Harry Dresden have always made for fun-filled reads.

Here's the blurb:

Harry Dresden's faced some pretty terrifying foes during his career. Giant scorpions. Oversexed vampires. Psychotic werewolves. It comes with the territory when you're the only professional wizard in the Chicago area phone book.

But in all Harry's years of supernatural sleuthing, he's never faced anything like this: the spirit world's gone postal. All over Chicago, ghosts are causing trouble -- and not just of the door-slamming, boo-shouting variety. These ghosts are tormented, violent, and deadly. Someone -- or something -- is purposely stirring them up to wreak unearthly havoc.

But why? And why do so many of the victims have ties to Harry? If Harry doesn't figure it out soon, he could wind up a ghost himself...

As was the case with its predecessors, Storm Front and Fool Moon, Grave Peril features the first-person narrative of the sympathetic, if frequently inept, sole wizard in Chicago. Although he may not always be the sharpest tool in the shed, I find it hard not like and root for Harry Dresden. Like James Bond, you know he'll pull through in the end. Hence, it's in the execution that you truly get to enjoy Jim Butcher's stories. And the witty tone of the narrative adds an extra layer to the overall reading experience.

The supporting cast is again comprised of Bianca St. Claire, Karrin Murphy, Susan Rodriguez, Bob the Skull, and the cat Mister. But new characters play an important role in this book, chief among them Michael Carpenter, a Knight of the Cross, Leanansidhe, Dresden's faerie Godmother, Thomas Raith, a White Court vampire, as well as Mavra, a Black Court vampire.

The addition of new characters provides yet more hints that this series echoes with more depth than meets the eye. The introduction of new concepts such as the various vampire Courts, the faeries, and the Knights of the Cross is yet more evidence in that regard. Hopefully, there will be more developments regarding these concepts in the next volume. For, as fun and entertaining as these novels are, I'm afraid that they will lose their appeal if they remain too formulaic and episodic in style and scope.

Once again a fast-paced urban fantasy plot, Grave Peril has more surprising twists and turns than the more linear first two volumes. Especially the fate of one of the main protagonists at the end, which sort of shocked me, for I never saw it coming. I'm glad to discover that it won't always be a case of all's well that ends well. . .

If you are looking for quality urban fantasy books featuring a flawed and endearing wizard trying to do the right thing, then I strongly urge you to pick up The Dresden Files books.
on 20 November 2011
The adventures of Harry Dresden have been going for a couple of books now, and Butcher's talent as a writer has been growing even as the world of his creation has been evolving and deepening. Now, with the third in the series, the full potential of both the character and the setting is realised.

It was inevitable that a supernatural fantasy series would have a title dealing with vampires sooner or later, and with the species already making a brief appearance in Storm Front, here they come to the fore. Butcher being Butcher, however, he throws a hell of a lot more into the mix, including a recent demonology case of Harry's, his holy knight friend Michael, and his literal fairy godmother, amongst others.

This is an excuse for the regular blend of detecting intrigue and massive action setpieces, but the crucial difference here is that the characters are richer, and their relationships are more important. Harry's inability to admit the depth of his feelings for his girlfriend Susan is just as important as his trying to halt the destructive hauntings plaguing Chicago.

The mark of a great series is that every successive title stands on its own while adding depth and maturity to the wider picture. With this latest release, Butcher is succeeding admirably.
on 7 September 2009
(Currently writing under my mother's account)

I have not read all the books of the Dresden Files, but have read the first four. Whereas the fourth book has been my favourite so far, this the third, has to be the least, however that does not mean it is not a good book, far from it.

The statement that Harry does not understand God simply because he himself would write off the human race as a bad idea himself was particulary grating. It is very typical of 'woe the human race is terrible and God is so amazing' idea which can sometimes plague many books and made me fail to sympathsise with him. Not to mention, the promotion of christianity in this book in general made my eyes roll.

However overall this was enjoyable, and the take home message seemed to be it didn't matter whether what you believed in was actually true- but belief WAS indeed a powerful thing. Not to mention this book made Susan, a character I previously disliked in the first two books into an interesting character and I enjoyed what we saw of her relationship with the main character.

As mentioned, I have read the first four books and so far it is entertaining and I plan to read further books in the series. Here's hoping that later books are also as enjoyable!

Four stars.
on 17 October 2011
The third of the same series (I, uh, kindda like to read the whole series in one go. I'm not the best at remembering details) takes place about six months to a year after Fool Moon, I'm not sure what the time line is. And yes, this one is crammed full with ghosts. Oh, and vampires. We didn't get any of the lovely crime king-pin in this one. I forget what his name is, but I missed his presence in this book, though there was some others who intrigued me; Tomas, a sex vampire with a insane girl as his companion and Michael, a Knight of some holy order. They were both really fun characters.

This book felt a little off balance from the get-go, as something important happened a few months earlier that was the keystone of the unfolding events. I also think it started rather weakly, the first two scenes switched around to hook the reader with action and then force them to read a little backstory from an hour beforehand which really rather annoyed me.

It's the weakest of the series so far. Ah well, it's still better than a lot of the urban fantasy detritus out there.

Characters: 8/10
Setting: 5/10
Plot: 6/10
Dialogue: 8/10
Overall: 7/10
on 3 May 2006
Grave Peril is book three in Jim Butchers series The Dresden Files... the other two being Storm Front & Fool Moon.

Harry Dresden is the only wizard known to mankind and listed in the Chicargo yellow pages.

In his career he has faced dark wizards, large scorpions, over sexed vampires and the police suspecting him of supernatural crimes he didn`t commit.

However in this third installment Harry now faces ghosts, demons and faeries... and that`s the easy part.

Pursued by his Fye Godmother (or faerie Godmother - and I don`t mean of the wish granting kind), facing many restless ghosts and a powerful demon ghost Harry needs help.

And that help comes in the shape and form of his rightious companion and friend Michael.

Can Harry & Michael defeat their enemies and save the day or will they be condemned to hell.

This is yet another amazing sequal and worthy of being called possibly the best of the series that I have read to date.

Whatever you do I recommend you do NOT miss out on this book or this series - read The Dresden Files and be amazed.
on 11 June 2014
Harry Dresden books never fail to enthral. This is number 3 in the series and he seems to be getting into hotter water as the books go on and become ever more fantastical. This time there's an array of ghosts, shades, vampires, demons, just plain evil supernatural beings and Neverever Land where the reader catches a glimpse of Faerie and Harry's evil Godmother (at least she's not a stepmother - they're usually the evil ones). Grave Peril provides a constant adrenalin high as Harry is forever on the brink of disaster: I've taken one star off because he's always clinging to a cliffhanger. He must be a wizard - nothing human could survive what he does. Still, I'm getting the next book, Summer Knight, because I'm hooked.
It's also interesting that Harry Dresden is extremely sexy yet there are no explicit sex scenes in the book for which I'm hugely grateful. There's a moral here: you can write a hot, sexy main character without resorting to the gory details. It's a mark of a great writer!
on 6 January 2017
I've started reading through the series and if I weren't reading them in order I'm not sure I would have bothered any further if I came to this one first.
So the lesson is ....read them in order !!!
There are lots of summaries of the plot already posted so no need to go there.
This one is certainly a drop after the first two,the humour is there and the magic is there but there is a lack of oomph somehow. There is a feeling of narrowness in the storyline. That is once you realise that you haven't actually missed a book out....because it gets just a bit confusing. On the bright side Michael is great and carries the story for me, I was more interested in him than Harry (not sure that's a good thing though) and the Vampires were fascinating. (Love a good world build for a vampire ..have to say his world building for the 'bad guys' is excellent,)
So,all in all it's ok. Not as good as the others and roll on the next book.
on 14 November 2015
Something is rotten in the state of Illinois. And it's up to Harry to sort it out. Chicago is full of ghosts. Not just regular ghosts who wander around, bemoaning their lost loves, or chucking things at angst-ridden teenagers. These are dangerous spirits and they're tormented.

We love a good ghost story and this combines our new favourite series with ghosts. What could be better? This is the first time Harry travels to the dark otherworld, the Nevernever and we were excited to see it. It's also the first appearance of the fae and Michael. Archangel, defender of Heaven Michael. And he's badass. And pious and saintly, but mostly badass. Though we weren't as keen on his wife, Charity.

When there's something strange in your neighbourhood, who you gonna call? Harry Dresden. He's in the phone book under 'wizard'.