Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 April 2017
As with the rest of women of the otherworld series it's a fantastic read, one I can and have read over and over again, the whole series is well written
on 4 May 2006
Kelley Armstrong certainly hasn't lost her touch for setting the macabre amidst normality. Elena and Clay's story continues and this installment sees them attempting to close a portal to "Hell" that they accidently opened with a squashed mosquito! Zombie prostitutes with Syphallis, rabid rats, cholera and Jack the Ripper all nicely rolled together with Elena's advancing pregancy make for another unputdownable addition to the series.

It was nice to see that Elena and Clay whilst mellowing with age and impending parenthood into a happy couple are still freaky and screwed up enough for their lives to be nothing close to approaching normal. The story also has a very happy ending which pleased me no end. Maybe they will take a back seat for the foreseeable future and the next generation of werewolves will take the story forward.

Well worth the wait.

Check out Kelley Armstrong's website if you haven't already, the free online fiction is cracking.
on 16 May 2006
After enjoying all of Kelly Armtrong's books, especially Bitten and Stolen I feel like I have been waiting for the third chapter in Elena's story for a life time.

Broken focuses on Elana Micheals the only known female werewolf in the supernatural world that coexists with the normal human world. Through the Women of the Otherworld series we have seen Elena refuse her werewolf status, accept it, reunite with mate Clay and be stolen and locked away in a laboratory and finally escape to live with the Pack (the werewolf clan).

This new adventure sees Elena help steal the infamous Jack the Rippr From Hell letter, and deal with her precnancy at the same time! As chaos ensues after the letter opens up a portal to Victorian England, Elena, Clay and the rest of te Pack race to close it and remedy the ailments it has caused.

This book shows that Kelly Armstrong is stronger than ever and is dveloping her characters to their fullest. Her writing is enigmatic which give the reader "I can;t put it down syndrome". The story is well paced and makes you keep reading right until the end. Twists and turns keep you interest as well as the further developing relationship of Elena and Clay which all Armstrong fans have been waiting for. Its great to see that the chemistry is still their and that they have become closer than ever.

For any fan this book is a must have and for anyone new to the otherworld series it is a great book to read.

A brilliant enstallment that will keep you hungry for more... Bring on more from this excellent author!
11 Comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 April 2006
This is a fantastic book! I've always loved Kelley Armstrong's writing but found that I hadn't really clicked with Elena...until I read Broken. It has a bit of everything and I was torn between reading it slower, to make it last longer, and not being able to put it down! In the end I just couldn't stop reading and finished it wishing there was more because it was such a wonderful read.

You get to find out a bit more about one of the races, along with what's been going on with the pack since we last heard from Elena. The story in this one keeps you on the edge of your seat the whole way through, and I don't think there was one chapter that ended without me wanting to carry on to find out what happened next.

I'm really looking forward to the next Elena book now, which I know won't be for a few more years, but I can comfort myself knowing that book 7, even though from a different perspective, will be just as good.

If you already know and love Kelley's work then you'll love this one too. If you're looking for a new author to get hooked on then Kelley Armstrong is definately a good choice!
on 11 October 2016
It was great to see Elena and the pack back in action and with exciting things afoot. But I got a little fed up with their instincts constantly being wrong. I'd have preferred a more decisive pack. Didn't come across as realistic that someone could be wrong so often.
on 19 October 2011
The story opens with Elena, who, at 5 weeks pregnant, is about to Shift for the first time since she found out about the pregnancy. She is terrified that in doing so, she will potentially lose the baby. And it's not as if there is anyone she can ask for advice. Currently, Elena is the only female werewolf in existence. Female werewolves throughout history have been rare, and female werewolves reproducing with their human mates, even rarer. Two werewolves reproducing? It's never happened. At least, not as far as the records can tell. So naturally Elena is finding the whole thing daunting and unsettling.

On the other hand, not Shifting isn't really an option either. In Kelley Armstrong's world, werewolves have to Shift regularly or they'll go mad, which would mean having to be to be locked away. So she really is in quite the predicament.

Clay's protective nature is out in force in this book. Not only has he got a mate to protect, but an unborn pup, too. Clay, having always been closer to his animal side than any other werewolf I have read about, is ruled by his natural instincts, and yet I thought he was showed considerable restraint at times during this novel. Giving Elena the space she needs and trying not to pressure her in any way. It really was nice to revisit this couple.

The action comes into play when Elena gets a call from Xavier, who was one of the people who held her captive 3 years ago, (see Stolen) who claims she still owes him a favour. She swiftly tells him what he can do with that idea, but then he offers to help her locate a rogue wolf that the Pack have been tracking for months to no avail, in return for this new favour, which is to retrieve a letter that was purportedly penned by none other than Jack the Ripper, and something that only a non-human can do.

Now, if I'm honest, I found the main premise of oops-I've-accidentally-brought-Jack-the-Ripper-through-a-magical-time-portal to be a little bit silly. And I'm usually all for high fantasy, and don't mind far-fetched storylines, but I just wasn't expecting it from a Clay and Elena book. I'm used to getting a gripping suspense-filled mystery from them instead, so it was a bit of a head scratcher as to why Armstrong went down that route this time. Nevertheless, it was still well written as usual, and it was nice to see how they are coping with the pregnancy, etc.

All-in-all this one didn't rock my world quite like Bitten or Stolen, but it was still a good read.
on 14 August 2014
Of all the Otherworld characters, I rather love reading Elena and Clay's stories. In this book Elena is asked to steal a letter and ends up letting Jack the Ripper loose in the streets of Toronto...oh and she's pregnant!
This book keeps you in suspense until all is revealed. Characters from the previous books appear as well, which helps build up the supernatural world. As the book is from Elena's point of view, you really get a sense of motherly protection towards her unborn child and her annoyance at Jeremy and Clay for being over cautious.
Admittedly, some parts were obvious to me and that left me shouting at their stupidity for not seeing this, but it didn't ruin the book for me!
Another great edition to this series.
on 1 September 2012
Elena Michaels owes a favour to the devious half-demon Xavier and when he calls it in, the job seems simple. All he wants Elena to do is steal Jack the Ripper's infamous 'From Hell' letter from a private collector. But nothing is as simple as it seems when supernaturals are involved and a simple accident triggers a hidden spell placed on the letter, opening a portal into Victorian London. Elena must shut the portal as soon as possible, or everything she holds dear could be lost forever.

This is the sixth book in the Otherworld series (after Bitten,Stolen,Dime Store Magic,Industrial Magic and Haunted) and returns to Elena as a narrator after a three book gap. If you are new to the series, or haven't at least read the first two books which are narrated by Elena, I wouldn't recommend starting here as you'll have missed a massive amount of backstory.

Elena and Clay's relationship has changed a lot since their introduction in Bitten. They are now happily together and expecting their first child, whilst Elena is willingly wearing her wedding band for the first time ever content in her decision to spend her life with Clay. They've managed to keep the passion and spark in their relationship although Clay is just as protective as always, if not more so due to the pregnancy. I love that their story has continued on whilst the reader was occupied with the other books as it adds a dimension of reality to the Otherworld. Another aspect I enjoyed was that Elena is happy to mix her old life in Toronto with her new life with the Pack, again showing how much she's grown.

The plot is just as densely plotted as usual, packed with twists and turns and allowing the characters to grow and develop even more. As usual the world-building gets a boost, this time focusing on sorcerers and the mechanics of portals while introducing zombies for the first time. The Jack the Ripper angle was something I was looking forward to when I started reading as I really enjoy anything based off the case. This offers a new and unique perspective to the history, allowing it to go in some unexpected directions. The idea of aspects of Victorian London passing into modern day Toronto are especially well-explored as it isn't only Jack the Ripper who transfers. Cholera, syphilitic prostitutes and diseased rats all cause chaos in a modern environment.

Jaime guest stars in this book and her crush on Jeremy is still as prevalent and unrequited as usual. Jaime is increasingly embarrased by it so it will be interesting to see what happens when she takes the narrator role in the next installment. The crush isn't the only focus on Jaime this time as she gets a scary vision of her future and takes her necromancy to a whole new level.

All in all, this was another great read and I'm looking forward to No Humans Involved.

Plot: 9/10
Characters: 9/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Cover: 9/10

Overall: 47/50
on 6 March 2012
As a fan of all Kelley Armstrong's books, I have to confess that my favourites are the ones that focus on Elena Michaels and the werewolf clan. This is one such story and since the last time we heard from Elena she seems to have finally accepted her werewolf status, her love for her partner Clay and - the biggest surprise for me - she is pregnant.
Not only that, this story is connected to the infamous Jack The Ripper historical account regarding the letters he allegedly wrote to the police, in particular the only one thought to be actually written by him which is now missing.I love anything to do with Ripper lore so I was immediately sold on buying this book.
It goes without saying that Clay and Jeremy are very over protective of Elena in her current state and as a feisty strong-willed character you can see this is driving her nuts. So when an old "friend" calls in a favour asking her to retrieve the Ripper Letter from the person who stole it in an apparantly simple bag and tag job, Elena jumps at the chance. Obviously Clay and Jeremy try everything to dissuade her from taking the job but soon realise that this is one battle they cannot win.
Soon the three of them find themselves in Toronto and when the job goes off without a hitch you just know that something bad is going to happen. Which of course it does. Without giving too much away ( then you would not need to read the book would you?) they soon have zombies to deal with, missing people, a sorcerer who does not want to be found and a whole lot of other stuff.
Once again Kelley Armstrong has written a page turning supernatural thriller that I absolutely loved. Can't wait for the next werewolf instalment.
on 23 July 2011
I love Kelley Armstrong and I particularly enjoy the Otherworld series when it focuses on Elena. She's the most interesting character for me. Bitten and Stolen were both good but when the focus switched to Paige and the witches and the sorceror cabals in the next couple of books, my interest waned a little.

So, I was pleased when I realised that Broken was back to Elena. In simplistic terms, the plot has moved on a few years and Elena is pregnant. She and the rest of the pack are involved in solving a mystery surrounding Jack the Ripper which includes portals and zombies.

Unfortunately, I didn't enjoy the main plotline. It just didn't really engage me and, although it seems silly to say this about the plot of a paranormal book, it just seemed so unrealistic, even for their world. I really dislike it when paranormal plots drag up real events or characters from history and try to add a paranormals twist to them. Just doesn't float my boat.

The best parts of the book were all the bits that had nothing to do with the main plot- Elena's pregnancy, her relationship with Clay, Jeremy and the pack, Jeremy and Jaime and so on. I found myself very disinterested in the rest of it.

Don't get me wrong. I will continue to read the Otherworld books and Kelley Armstrong's writing is still good, the characters are still great, but this one really didn't grab me plot-wise.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kindle edition: well formatted and very few typos :)