Format: Paperback|Change

on 10 June 2004
After reading Bitten and Stolen I was slightly dubious as to what this third book had to offer. It is certainly different from Kelley's first two books, mostly due to her shift from Elena to Paige and I'm not entirely sure the shift is a good one.
If you're looking for a punchy modern leading lady, like Elena, then Paige isn't going to satisfy you. I must admit that I wanted a bit of kick from the book, something to get my blood flowing, some passion and some depth, but I don't feel this book delivers any of those to any great depth. And that's what this book is lacking - depth. It's nice, it's a good read and it flows very easily (I read it within two evenings and couldn't put it down) BUT there isn't the depth of character that should leave you really caring what happens to Paige, Savannah and Cortez.
And a bit of advice, if you haven't read the first two then I'd suggest you read them first, as when there is a touch of depth in this book, it comes from the writer explaining previous events.
Don't get me wrong, like I said, it's a good read and you'll come away satisfied, I gave it four stars for this very reason, but there's just something... not quite right.
Bring back Elena.
on 21 November 2012
I'm new to Kelley Armstrong. I bought Bitten back in 2001 but never got around to reading it. Recently I decided to give the series a chance and I will soon be posting a lengthy review on the Bitten page (including a suggested reading order for readers new to the series; as I disagree with the chronological reading order on Ms. Armstrong's site....sorry Kelley!).

The only reason I felt a need to write this review is because of the change from Elena/Clay to Paige/Savannah/Lucas. I personally loved this shift in style and story. Kelley Armstrong has said herself that she never wanted to write book after book about the werewolves because it would get boring for her to write. Well, I tend to agree from a reader's perspective too. I have found with other series' out there that they tend to get a bit repetitive as they go on.
Paige has quite a prominent role to play in Stolen; and I really liked her, so I went into Dime Store Magic with a positive feeling towards the characters. The book really didn't disappoint. The story was exciting; but grounded and had a great payoff at the end.
I've just started Industrial Magic and I'm really pleased to be staying with the same characters for another book.

Recently, Kelley Armstrong, has leapt into my top ten urban fantasy writers and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this series and her other books too!

If you like these books I would also recommended Jennifer Lynn Barnes' Raised by Wolves series, Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake books (primarily the earlier ones), Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse books, Rachel Caine's Morganville Vampires series and Keri Arthur's Riley Jenson Guardian series.
on 20 September 2005
"Dime store magic" is the third book in Kelley Armstrong's "Women of the Otherworld" series. These books have a lot of action, magic and yes, some romance. But more importantly, they are thoroughly engaging, so be prepared to be immersed in a world that differs quite a bit from our own.
The narrator of "Dime store magic" is Paige Winterbourne, a 23-year-old witch who suddenly finds herself as guardian of Savannah Levine, the irritable 13-year-old daughter of Eve, the black sheep of Paige's family. Unfortunately, Savannah isn't just an annoyed teenager angry with everything and everyone: she is also a witch with growing powers and a noticeable tendency towards dark magic, like her mother. On top of everything, Paige also becomes the leader of her Coven (due to the death of her mother, narrated in "Stolen"). It is worthwhile to point out that the position is mostly nominal, though, as Paige doesn't get a lot of respect from the other witches.
Life isn't obviously too easy for Paige, but neither is it overly problematic. That changes, though, when Savannah's previously unknown father, a powerful wizard, decides to fight for custody in order to gain control of his daughter's power. Paige won't give in without a fight, as wizards are traditional enemies of witches. The result is that she will have to put her life and reputation on the line, and will need to accept help from whomever can give it. That includes Lucas Cortez, a lawyer but also a wizard that has rebelled against his heritage and goes from quest to quest striving to make justice. In Paige's words, "It was a sad world when a witch had to rely on a work-starved sorcerer for help". The fact is, soon enough she will view Lucas in a different way...
All in all, I highly recommend this book. In my opinion, it is an excellent addition to the series, and will make you want to read the sequel immediately. For that, you will have to buy or borrow "Industrial magic"... But in the meanwhile, enjoy "Dime store magic" :)
Belen Alcat
on 19 June 2013
The third book in the otherworld series and as always a great read from Kelley Armstrong.

It has been a while since they freed everyone from the compound and Savannah, a powerful teenage witch, is the ward of 23 year old Paige, the new coven leader. Narrated by Paige, as she struggles to empathise with Savannah and her macabre tendencies, she is suddenly forced into a custody battle for Savannah, who one day will become an incredibly powerful supernatural. The person wanting custody is her supposed father Kristof Nast, a sorcerer who helps run a mafia style supernatural company. Seeing how witches and sorcerers detest each other, Paige is convinced it is a ploy to gain Savannah as a powerful asset because what witch would ever sleep with a sorcerer? A modern, media driven witch hunt begins and Paige is forced to make decisions that go against everything she has been raised for. With the, at first unwanted, help of a young sorcerer, who has his own reasons for involving himself in the case, Paige is determined to fight to keep Savannah safe, even if it means losing everything she has ever worked for.
on 3 April 2012
I chanced upon this author's works and decided to give them a try and I am delighted that I did so. As a teacher in a secondary school, I find that reading works of fiction is my only true release and means of relaxation. I like to leave this real world behind for a time. Subsequently, I intend to buy all of the books in this series of books, as they make for an addictive read and allow me to completely switch off from my working life. Each story can stand alone, but Kelley Armstrong weaves her related characters beautifully throughout each story. One is reminded of the relationships as you proceed through each story and you really believe in each and every one of her supernatural characters. This is the third book in the series and, like books one and two, is fast paced, imaginative, magical and a lovely read. Anybody who likes/loves the supernatural or fantasy novel would be well advised to read these books. They are not quite teenage literature, as they cover a number of adult themes, but they are a gentle read - the perfect book to switch off with.

This particular story line tells of an age old conflict between witches and sorcerers, with a half-demon thrown in here and there, and how some individuals come together to right wrong doings, despite their so called differences.
on 18 May 2012
Ok so the first two books in the series hooked me, but i did feel a little dubious as to buying this as it no longer focuses on Elena and the werewolves, but on the witch Paige and her charge Savannah. Now I must admit i did not like Paige at all in the previous books, she came across as short-sighted, spoiled and naive. That said, she does have a bit more maturity in this book, or perhaps things just look and feel different from her own perspective. Either way, I found myself slowly growing to like her... just a little.

For the most part this isn't a high action book, the action is subdued and spaced out and most of the book is extremely domestic. What really made this fun for me was Savannah and Lucas. Savannah is your bubbly, moody, devil-may-care teen and never lets Paige forget it. Lucas is interesting in that he's extremely formal, at first anyway, and he's reserved, a total opposite to Paige really.

Not a bad addition but not sure i'll read it again. I will buy the next in the series though as I see potential and the witchraft details are interesting
on 26 February 2013
Dime Store Magic is the third book in The Women of the Otherworld series. Paige Winterbourne, head of the witches coven and guardian of black witch Eve Levines daughter Savanah tells this story and what a story!! Its the story of the huge battle Paige faces to keep custody of Savanah whilst her powerful sorcerer father Kristof Nast (of the Nast Cabal) tries everything he can to take it away!! He enlists the help of Leah, the demon with telekenetic powers from the second Otherworld book, and various other supernaturals, enter Lucas, another sorcerer, but he shows Paige and Savanah that not all sorcerers are the same!!! another excellent book from KA!! Keep reading I know I am going to!!!!
on 13 August 2014
I have read most of Kelly Armstrong's novels concerning supernaturals she has an intriguing concept on the subject. her characters are strong and her story ideas keep you enthralled from page one to the end so far I have read 13 of her books and have enjoyed every one of them
VINE VOICEon 4 April 2005
In this third novel from the Women of the Otherworld Series we hear the story of Paige Winterbourne who we first saw in Stolen.
This is a different side to Paige we see here as I did find her mildly irritating in Stolen! Paige is an orphan and finds herself as leader of the American Coven of Witches. Unfortunately for Paige she is nowhere near as experienced as her predecessor, her mother, or even as some of the other members of the coven.Some of them feel that Paige is not the right person to be their leader.
Nine months before this book began Paiges mother was murdered along with another witch who is the mother of Savannah Levine, who became left in Paige's care to look after her. Savannah is far experienced for her age for the powers she possesses therefore Paige has to try and make sure Savannah uses her powers responsibly! The story goes on in revealing Savannah's father as Kristof Nash who is heir to the Nash Cabal and he naturally wants custody of Savannah but, just for his own evil purposes.
This was the very 1st book of Kelley's books I bought without realising that there were 2 before it but, did read them in order. Again I have heard it said this one can be read as a stand-alone but, I do feel you would benefit from reading the previous books especially Stolen in relation to this one as you may not fully understand why or how Savannah & Paige's mothers died.
This is brilliant and much different from the werewolves of the previous books and Paige is so much more likeable in this one.
on 28 September 2015
As one of the early books in the series it is obviosly going to be a bit uneven in places -- but still a worthwhile read/buy.
Eventually I will buy the whole set ( I am replacing a set of old friends I have lost over time ).