Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 December 2012
An excellent story, I have been reading this series in character lines, so have now completed the story set with the wolves and moved on to the witches. I was unsure if I would enjoy Paiges story line as much, but all hail Kelly, she as she writes with a new voice and tone for Paige, giving the character her own personality, for me she was reminiscent of Dresdens Murphy... if your a follower you will know what I mean. I recommend this book and will be buying the next in the series shortly.
on 3 September 2011
I was worried about buying this book as i am more of a werewolf fan and enjoyed bitten and stolen but i wasnt qute as enchanted with the witchs in stolen, but this book didnt disapoint i read it in one night!!! fantastic book with a great twist :)
on 25 April 2014
This is a fun and exciting follow up to the previous books in this saga. I look forward to reading the rest of the series.
on 5 March 2015
Excellent read ... awaited all her books since but this was the one that drew me in and I still love it. I never read a book twice but this I have many times.
This third book in Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series moves away from the Werewolves Clay and Elena and switches to the story of Paige the Witch.

To be honest, I wasn't that crazy for Paige's story. Not because I wanted to stick with the Werewolves (although that would have been fine too), but because I just didn't really like Paige much as a character. She was tasked with parenting the 13 year old Savannah, daughter of the recently deceased Eve, and the way the story tells it Savannah is a brat. Actually, I thought Savannah had the right end of the stick in most of the escapades and Paige would have done well to just suck it up and listen to her now and then. Not only is Savannah a more powerful witch, she's quicker on the up-take and it would seem that despite only being 13 she's also more adept at reading the 'signals' where romance is involved. Paige just strikes me as a really weak woman.

However, in her defence she did come good at the end.....barely. She appeared to have a normal, loving relationship with her caring (late) mother, so why did she find it virtually impossible to show affection for Savannah the child in her care? She wasn't cruel but she was hardly the demonstrative type. Would a cuddle now and then have killed her?

Overall I get the impression that although this is the 3rd book in the season, this was actually written first. It doesn't seem to have the same style as the first 2. For all the subject is different, it just feels less well crafted.

At the end I'm left wondering what the people round here would make of Paige, if the story was set here.....I'm pretty sure nobody would take any notice to be honest. Some crazy woman who it's claimed is a witch with evil powers? Riiiight. That would have the whole town camped on her front door round here.......I don't think. People just wouldn't and don't care about that stuff enough, I don't think.

But still - I'm definitely going to read the next follow on's. Just because I didn't love Dime Store Magic doesn't mean I'm giving up. It was an OK story and I didn't hate it, plus I expect I'll need the info in this one in order to enjoy the others.
on 21 November 2012
I'm new to Kelley Armstrong. I bought Bitten back in 2001 but never got around to reading it. Recently I decided to give the series a chance and I will soon be posting a lengthy review on the Bitten page (including a suggested reading order for readers new to the series; as I disagree with the chronological reading order on Ms. Armstrong's site....sorry Kelley!).

The only reason I felt a need to write this review is because of the change from Elena/Clay to Paige/Savannah/Lucas. I personally loved this shift in style and story. Kelley Armstrong has said herself that she never wanted to write book after book about the werewolves because it would get boring for her to write. Well, I tend to agree from a reader's perspective too. I have found with other series' out there that they tend to get a bit repetitive as they go on.
Paige has quite a prominent role to play in Stolen; and I really liked her, so I went into Dime Store Magic with a positive feeling towards the characters. The book really didn't disappoint. The story was exciting; but grounded and had a great payoff at the end.
I've just started Industrial Magic and I'm really pleased to be staying with the same characters for another book.

Recently, Kelley Armstrong, has leapt into my top ten urban fantasy writers and I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this series and her other books too!

If you like these books I would also recommended Jennifer Lynn Barnes' Raised by Wolves series, Laurell K. Hamilton's Anita Blake books (primarily the earlier ones), Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse books, Rachel Caine's Morganville Vampires series and Keri Arthur's Riley Jenson Guardian series.
on 15 March 2013
From author of `Bitten' and `Stolen' is another spellbinding tale that embodies all one truly loves with Young Adult fantasy/ paranormal fiction. Full of deadly demons, supernatural sorcerers and wicked Witches this captivating tale is one that will have you reading into the early hours of the morning with feverish excitement. `Dime Store Magic' is the forth book in the series of Otherworld books, which began with Bitten and ends with Broken. The enchanting storyline captures your attention almost instantly, whisking you away into a world that is no different from our own, and yet which harbors many things - Beneath the surface lies sinister secrets and mystery, shrouded in a cloak of concealment and which only can be discovered if you dare to open the pages...

The main protagonist is likeable and someone whom I instantly connected to, for her age is nearer my own (compared to other Young Adult stories that contain teenagers). I loved the Witch element which gave it an almost `Sabrina' feel to it, although directed towards the older reader I feel. Paige and her adopted teenage daughter, Savannah's connection is poignant and heartwarming and I really felt for the young child as she sought help in pursuit of her mother. That family blood-bond is so strong and something that all readers will be able to empathize with, for regardless of any magical power the power of love is strongest and resolute. With a telekinetic half-demon stalking them and a bunch of evil sorcerers, Paige has a challenge ahead of her that is heightened by her fragile situation. As `normal humans' (aka. Her neighbors) uncover the truth about her; the tension rises as they endeavor to use magic for good.

This otherworldly creation is a work of pure genius for I found myself truly believing everything about this convincing story that is akin to `Harry Potter' for you do believe in the magic. Containing everything I love within this genre; from Witches to casting spells, powerful creatures that are dark and deadly, to love and those special moments which tug on the heartstrings. Utterly fascinating, I was most intrigued by the sinister forces and mixture of myth, fable and fantastical vision that captures your imagination.

I would highly recommend this gripping, absorbing tale to all those who enjoy mystical masterpieces of sheer creative vision and something a bit "Twilight esque"!!
After revelling in the thrills of the werewolf world which Kelley Armstrong introduced in Bitten, and then followed up so well in Stolen, I have to say that I'm a mite... disappointed.

DSM is an altogether more pedestrian affair, with precious little magic in it. The title is accurate -- this is dime store stuff -- and I was hoping for something with a little more supernatural sparkle, like the first two books in the series. I get bogged down enough in the humdrum domesticity of my own life, so I can do without a blow-by-blow account of custody actions, lasivious lawyers, welfare visitors, a half-hearted romance and the onset of a would-be witch's first menses.

The chapters are short, the story progresses rapidly enough, and I guess I am interested in its conclusion and what happens next to Paige and Savannah. But if Industrial Magic doesn't pick up the pace (and the supernatural action) somewhat then I doubt I'll return to the series. I can get domestic soap opera on every channel, any hour of the day!
on 20 September 2005
"Dime store magic" is the third book in Kelley Armstrong's "Women of the Otherworld" series. These books have a lot of action, magic and yes, some romance. But more importantly, they are thoroughly engaging, so be prepared to be immersed in a world that differs quite a bit from our own.
The narrator of "Dime store magic" is Paige Winterbourne, a 23-year-old witch who suddenly finds herself as guardian of Savannah Levine, the irritable 13-year-old daughter of Eve, the black sheep of Paige's family. Unfortunately, Savannah isn't just an annoyed teenager angry with everything and everyone: she is also a witch with growing powers and a noticeable tendency towards dark magic, like her mother. On top of everything, Paige also becomes the leader of her Coven (due to the death of her mother, narrated in "Stolen"). It is worthwhile to point out that the position is mostly nominal, though, as Paige doesn't get a lot of respect from the other witches.
Life isn't obviously too easy for Paige, but neither is it overly problematic. That changes, though, when Savannah's previously unknown father, a powerful wizard, decides to fight for custody in order to gain control of his daughter's power. Paige won't give in without a fight, as wizards are traditional enemies of witches. The result is that she will have to put her life and reputation on the line, and will need to accept help from whomever can give it. That includes Lucas Cortez, a lawyer but also a wizard that has rebelled against his heritage and goes from quest to quest striving to make justice. In Paige's words, "It was a sad world when a witch had to rely on a work-starved sorcerer for help". The fact is, soon enough she will view Lucas in a different way...
All in all, I highly recommend this book. In my opinion, it is an excellent addition to the series, and will make you want to read the sequel immediately. For that, you will have to buy or borrow "Industrial magic"... But in the meanwhile, enjoy "Dime store magic" :)
Belen Alcat
on 28 May 2012
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
This is book 3 in the `women of the otherworld' series. Apologies; I still haven't read book 2 so I'm not sure of the timeline between the two books.
Paige is a witch. In fact, since her mother's death, she is cover leader, not that the other members of the coven allow her to act as such.

Paige currently has custody of a 13-year-old neophyte witch Savanna, following her mother's disappearance/death. The delivery of a letter petitioning for custody of Savanna is not welcomed, especially not when it comes from the half-demon, Leah, who killed Paige's mother.

Attending the meeting with Leah and her lawyer, Paige is shocked when she hears that it's not really Leah petitioning for custody, but Kristof Nast - a powerful sorcerer who is claiming to be Savanna's father.

Trying to be clever, Paige retaliates by hiring a human lawyer - the human courts will not allow a custody battle of this type without DNA evidence of paternity, something that Kristof cannot do because of this sorcerer DNA.

Paige hasn't won the battle yet though, and now Leah is playing dirty. A fake black mass is set up in the woods behind Paige's house, and the police are called in. Suddenly Paige is being accused of murder, and there are wiccans, reporters, and do-gooders camping out on her lawn. Her only saviour is a sorcerer who wants to stick his nose in her private business, and much to her disgust, her own coven are trying to disown her. Between Leah, Nast, the media, and her own coven, Paige has really got her hands full, and with Savanna's power growing and her full powers blooming, has Paige really got what it takes to protect her from not only her father, but herself?

I never really know what to expect from Kelley Armstrong's books; they're always good, but the storyline doesn't always go in the direction I expect! I haven't read book 2 so this is the first time I have come across Paige, and to be honest she was a bit annoying and scatter brained in the beginning. She really wasn't anything like what I would expect a coven leader to be like, and seemed quite immature, which was exactly why the rest of her coven weren't impressed either!

I found Savanna to be in some respects a typical teen, and she really didn't seem to understand that her magical powers were more than `dime store magic'. Again and again she began conjuring things without a thought to the effect her actions may have, placing Paige in the firing line more than once. She was also strong-headed, and used to getting her own way it seems, although in that respect she acted a lot like Paige.

I have to say that the story was quite slow and dull to begin with, as it mainly focused on the custody petition, lawyers meetings, and other almost mundane stuff, and it wasn't until over half-way through that the supernatural stuff really came into it. This was probably the biggest failing of the book for me. The series is `women of the otherworld, and up until mid-way, the fact that Paige and Savanna were witches had made very little difference to the story.

The ending however was a different story, and was much more focused on the supernatural than the court case. There were some very creepy images that were quite chilling, and a natural end to the story which was probably the best part of the book.
Overall; worth reading as part of the series, but one to borrow rather than buy.
6.5 out of 10.