Customer reviews

Industrial Magic (Otherworld)
Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 March 2016
I'm not sure why this is here to review now as I bought it years ago, but it appears I forgot to review it here -(bad Nicky!), so here it goes:

Well, I cannot rate this higher, I adore the Women of the Otherworld series.

Again, we join Savannah Levine as she and her friends and family fight against SLAM (they gave them the extra vowel) and their dangerous supernatural reveal movement, aided by a certain Lord Demon. There is fighting on both sides of the veil, creatures from hell appearing on the New York subway, rabid werewolves and vampires at a rooftop wedding, demi demons possessing children, action, magic, romance, deadly viruses - this book has it all!

All of the characters that we have got to know and love are here in this final volume and we finally get to witness the reunion of two favourite characters (I won't ruin it and say who) which is quite emotional, but not overly so - this is the Otherworld after all, we'll deal with the emotions later.

We see Savannah growing into her powers, growing into her position and generally growing as a person. I don't want to go into the story as it is a great read that I believe any fantasy fan should enjoy without spoilers - unless you like them of course.

As we know, Kelley Armstrong likes her novellas - something I love her for - so although this is the final book, there are novellas that take place after 13 and hopefully another novel or two...or thirteen later on, maybe when all the Otherworld children have grown?

If you have read some of the Women of the Otherworld books before, definitely finish and get to 13, if you like Kelley Armstrong but haven't read WotO yet, do it and if you like fantasy but haven't picked up this gem of a series yet, I implore you to give it a go. I enjoy fantasy books of all types, as does my partner (though he prefers high fantasy over all others) and he loves the Otherworld also, so it isn't just for us women.
on 15 September 2012
The Otherworld is perched on the brink of war. The Supernatural Liberation Movement are poised to reveal the existence of supernaturals to the rest of the world in a bloody display of power, utilizing a deadly virus in hopes of controlling those in positions of power. Savannah Levine is forced to make a stand and lead a group to stop the revelations. Now Elena and Clay, Paige and Lucas, Jeremy and Jaime, Hope, Eve and more must stand with Savannah and Adam to protect their world.

This is the final book in the Otherworld series (which started with Bitten) and is the concluding part of a trilogy within the main series that began with Waking the Witch and Spell Bound. This isn't the absolute end of the series as the author plans to release short stories, but it is the end for now. If you are a new reader I'd encourage you to start at the beginning of the series as this is a conclusion of all the previous books.

Once again Savannah is the narrator although I was thrilled to see chapters from the perspectives of past narrators (Elena, Paige, Eve, Jaime and Hope all have a turn) as not only was it a way of saying goodbye to their characters, it also furthered the storyline. Savannah is still pretty much without her powers but she is learning that wasn't her only strength and is fighting back. Her relationship with Adam finally moves into romance territory, although the sheer amount of action in the storyline means that the romance is in the background.

The storyline is fast paced and densely plotted, packed with twists and turns that leave you breathless. The author manages to pick up all sorts of storylines from the previous books and novellas and uses them to create an action-packed deliciously detailed plot. Even storylines I thought were over (Lucas's role in the Cabal, Jaz's imprisonment, Adele's baby, Savannah's relationship with the Nasts) are picked up and developed further. The relationships between the characters are also developed further, with Lucas struggling with Adam's feeling for Savannnah and Karl finally accepting his role in the Pack.

The ending is perfect but hard to discuss without spoilers. All I can say is that each character ends up with something that makes them incredibly happy but thought they could never have. There is a final note included at the end from Kelley Armstrong that explains why she chose to end the book (and series) in this way and I fully agree with her. This is a beautiful, if bittersweet, conclusion to one of my favourite series.

There is also a bonus short story included called "From Russia, with Love" featuring Elena. Basically it is a brief story that shows how she takes on the Alpha role and for me it's inclusion in this edition was brilliant. Before I read the final three books, I felt the series should end as it began with Elena as the narrator. I loved how the series was concluded but this is really the icing on top as it brings Elena full circle and gives the conclusion I was hoping for.

All in all this was a brilliant end to an outstanding series.

Plot: 10/10
Characters: 10/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Cover: 9/10

Overall: 49/50
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
13 is the thirteenth and final book in Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series and therefore this review may contain spoilers for the earlier books. This is one of my favourite series, so I highly recommend going out and getting your paws on Bitten if you haven't been bitten yet...

"Anything you thought you knew about our world? Forget it. Someone has tossed out the rulebook. Ghosts can cross the divide. Hell-hounds can manifest. Demi-demons can possess living children... It's not going to get any better until it's over."

Having just escaped an exploding building, Savannah is on the run with Jaime at her side. Her magic is still on the blink but she knows it's there if she can just conserve it. So it's not very helpful when they both get arrested on suspicion of terrorism. It doesn't take long for them to realise all is not what it seems? Is it the Supernatural Liberation Movement (which Savannah has nick-named SLAM) or could it be another cabal? With Savannah's half-brother Bryce at death's door, time is against them to find a cure. The supernatural community is taking sides but which will win? Reveal supernaturals to the greater world or stay hidden forever?

It's certainly a grand finale for the Women of the Otherworld series. You know in the last episodes of Angel where it all starts hitting the fan and everyone gets involved a bit? Well 13 is a bit like that, but with all your favourite Otherworldly characters; each major player making an appearance. Really, I'm not sure if it will make any sense if you haven't read the series and it is certainly not the place to start (go read Bitten, please) but it's a fond farewell for existing fans. Narrated mostly by Savannah, it makes the last three books (Waking the Witch, Spell Bound, 13) a trilogy within the series.

There's plenty of closure and redemption, although no one character really gets to steal the show. Savannah is a little distracted by the developments between her and Adam, and I found them a little awkward at times, especially her doubt and worrying about what others will think. She comes across a little younger than she did in Waking the Witch and Spell Bound. I loved the demon lords, who developed some personality just in time for the end. There are a few moments when my heart was in my mouth and I doubt very much the ups and downs will be a disappointment to fans.

If you buy the hardback edition, there is a bonus Elena short story. I enjoyed having this as an epilogue as I have always been a fan of The Pack and would have felt a little bit lost without their final say.

Now you may be sobbing over the end of your favourite series but Kelley has promised a brand new adult series starting next year, a third Nadia book, the final book in her second YA Otherworld trilogy and further Otherworld short fiction... and she hasn't even ruled out returning to the Otherworld in the future. She just needs a break and I'm sure we can all understand that. I'm really looking forward to the Nadia book and seeing where her talents take her in the next few years. Plus, I've stored up a pile of short fiction to keep me going in the mean time!
on 28 July 2012
13 takes off exactly where Spellbound ended, Waking the Witch, Spellbound and 13 are actually the only books from the Otherworld series that don't have a big time gap in between them. Savannah and Jaime get "arrested" while trying to get away from the lab explosion, they get taken to a police station but don't get booked or anything so conclude that it's a trap. After fighting off a crazed werewolf and and escaped hellhound, they manage to get away from the station with Eve. Eve and Savannah find out that there's an anti-SLM group as well. They plan to infiltrate the SLM to take it down from the inside but the plan fails when the Nast cabal get involved and take Eve and Savannah into custody. After getting away from the Nast cabal, they team up with the rest of the Otherworld crew minus Antonio & Nick (*sad face*) and through some helpful demon Lords in the shape of Eve and Adam's fathers, they manage to find out exactly what's going on and stop it - with a lot of magic and action.

So yeah that was a very small recap because so much happens in this book that I'd end up just writing the whole damn story here. Anyone who reads my reviews or knows me personally knows how much I LOVE Kelley's books - it's impossible to not love her writing. For me - and any long time Otherworld fan - this book was a bittersweet read, as much as I couldn't wait to read it I also didn't want to read it 'cos as soon as I did then the series would be over.

So some of my favourite bits or my gasp out loud moments ........ (will be hidden due to major spoilers so highlight to read) ....... this part of my original review contains major spoiler so please click the link if you want to read them [ ... ]

So any of my readers know they aren't going to get an unbiased review from me about a Kelley book - there's no such thing when it comes to Kelley. I freaking loved this book - sad to see the series end but Kelley did it justice. We got to see all of our favourite characters again and she tied off some open storylines while still leaving enough open to warrant novellas at a later date - which Kelley has said will happen.

Is a very short story purely there for the Alpha hand-off storyline. While 13 was happening, the twins and the rest of the pack were in Russia with the Russian pack so when Elena, Clay, Jeremy and Jaime join them, Jeremy officially hands the pack over to Elena.

I love the way he did it. Traditionally it would be a challenge so Jeremy challenged Elena to a game of chess. Which was already set up so that Elena would win since it was only a formality, everyone but Elena knew what was happening. Then there's a cool little scene with all the pack playing touch football as Elena watches them - and Jeremy is playing - realising they are her pack. As I said, a tiny short but it was only to serve one purpose. Oh and also let us see Xavier one last time.
on 26 July 2012
I'm a huge fan of this series. This has been the series I've grown with. I've been reading them for about four years now. This has been the series that will always stand out in my mind. I think most readers will have that one series that pulled them into the world of reading and to me this is it. The Women of the Otherworld series introduced me to the world of all things paranormal. This series has had such an impact on me personally, and I will never forget it. Why am I telling you this? I want you to understand how much the ending of this journey means to me. I love these characters and I've watched them grow and become unique individuals. This is the world I want to step into to. But with 13, that journey comes to an end.

Yes, I'm upset that my all time favourite series is over but then again I'm not. Kelley Armstrong has brilliantly tied everything up from the series. We see all the characters returning and we find out what the future holds for them. it couldn't have been done better. The series finished on a high and this will make all readers come back again and again. We see the series wrapped up perfectly, every characters gets their ending and I couldn't be happier for them. Yes they are tried and tested throughout the book but that's what it's like to be a supernatural, nothing is easy or normal. It never will be. We've come to the end of the journey and that has left me very emotional. No other series has made me feel this way. This book in one word was perfect.

13 is a very good and strong book. It's one of the best in the series, and you can easily tell. Right from the start the reader is hauled into the middle of the action. This book is full of action, it's the war of the Otherworld after all isn't it? We see characters returning and combining forces to combat the bad guys. I loved how all the different supernatural races came together to save their world. It was brilliant.

I don't want to give too much of the story away as this is book 13. If you haven't read the series, I really recommend it. It will always remain my favourite.

13 joins the Otherworld when a mysterious group of supernaturals are hell bent on revealing their secrets to the rest of the world. In the middle of it all are our favourite characters. Each are drawn in and tangled into the groups plot to reveal the truth of supernaturals. We see Savannah and her friends coming together to find out how to stop this group before things change their world forever. What makes it worse is the leader of this group has created a deadly virus which can turn normal humans into terrifying monsters. As the Otherworld splits into two sides, Savannah and her friends have to put a stop to this before it's too late.

The characters in the Women of the Otherworld are so real and fleshed out. They are the best characters I have ever read about. Each main character is unique and there are a lot of them. Even so Armstrong creates memorable characters that leave a big impression on the reader. We have Savannah the fiery witch. She's brilliant, I've grown with her since we met her in book two. I love watching her grow and learn throughout the series, its a brilliant reflection of real life and what all of us go through. Minus the magic powers. We have Elena and the werewolves. I will always love them. It started with Elena in Bitten and even now she's my favourite. We have so many other important characters I can't list them all but they are all great. Well the good guys anyway! Even the bad guys were creepily real. Oh and the Demons, we got a better look at them in 13 and they were incredible. I won't say more as I don't want to spoil it.

I loved 13, it's that simple. It's a brilliant book that keeps the reader engrossed from start until finish. I didn't want it to end but it had too. The twists and turns were great too, some made me grip the pages harder others made me gasp. I didn't see any coming. Oh, I'm going to really miss this series. I feel like I'm saying goodbye to an old friend and it's heartbreaking. This will forever remain my favourite series, the impact it's had on me as a reader is phenomenal. This book was a brilliant end to the series and it couldn't have been better. The Women Of the Otherworld truly went out with a bang. 13 is the perfect ending to a brilliant series.
on 28 July 2012
And so it ends. A series that has been a mainstay of my late teens to my mid-twenties. I'm sad to know that my summers will not be spent stalking the postman in anticipation of the arrival of a new Otherworld book but also glad that Armstrong decided to end it when she did, with a bang and with some loose ends that hint towards the potential of another visit somewhere in the future. Those loose ends, though, are fitting because this is not the end of these characters lives and Armstrong makes clear in the author notes that, in some ways, this is just the beginning.

This is a very action packed book, probably the most relentless of all of the Otherworld novels, and there is very little in terms of downtime for Savannah and co. Armstrong just kept driving forward the plot that was built up in Spell Bound (Women of the Otherworld), with the Supernatural Liberation Movement continuing with their nefarious plot of outing the supes and unleashing a 'virus' that will turn humans too. But, of course, the characters I have come to know and love are not happy with this and join forces to try and save the day - and all with Savannah's powers still on the fritz.

If I'm being honest, the full on plot is a tad overwhelming in places, not always in a bad way, but it certainly made me slow down when I was reading to keep up with the goings on. Very hard to do when the writing makes you want to keep turning the pages at a speedy rate!

What I particularly enjoyed was how all the characters who narrated a previous instalment also got to narrate a chapter of this. I love multiple POVs and, as much as I've come to like Savannah as a character, particularly in this final book, I'm a little sad that they didn't get a second chapter to themselves. The powers, abilities and personalities that they have are all so different, it would have been nice to spend just a little bit more time with them.

I've had my highs and my lows with this series and 13 (Women of the Otherworld) may not be my favourite but it was so worth sticking with the series right until the very end. An excellent finale.

PS, the short story at the end was a really nice touch that harked back to the series beginnings.
on 3 February 2013
THIRTEEN (Women of the Otherworld #13) by Kelley Armstrong

THIRTEEN is the final instalment in Kelley Armstrong's Women of the Otherworld series. Although the number of storylines, technically cross, into the 20s (with the many anthologies and short stories available), THIRTEEN is the last of the full-length novels. There remain many stories to be told (Morgan's and Reese's for example) but sadly, I understand why Kelley felt the need to close the door on the Women of the Otherworld series. I am also pleased she has announced that she has, at the minimum, three more anthologies set for release starting in 2014. Let us hope that Morgan and the others will get their stories written-nothing like introducing several new characters and never revealing the exact nature of their connection to the series.

THIRTEEN is the culmination of 10 plus years of story telling all starting with Kelley's introductory WOTO novel BITTEN, where we were first introduced to Elena Michaels -the first and only female werewolf- and her mate and `sire' Clayton Danvers. But the road to THIRTEEN began in the pages of the second story STOLEN with the introduction of Savannah Levine- a young 12year old witch left orphaned when her half-demon/half- witch mother, Eve Levine, was murdered trying to escape Ty Winsloe's compound of imprisoned supernatural beings. Now 10 years later, Savannah is a young woman, hopelessly in love with the man who helped rescue her from Winsloe's hold, and a major player trying to stop a 13th century child killer from successfully finding a cure for mortality and revealing the existence of the supernatural race.

Many of the WOTO characters reunite in this final chapter including the revelation that someone who was long thought dead, is very much alive-and for that reason alone-a few more storylines must be written. Kelley has exposed us to many different demons, half-demons, angels and Cabals, but THIRTEEN gathers some of the Otherworld's nastiest demons and fallen angels in a struggle between `the good, the bad and the lowest of the low'. Yet the one whom you would have thought wanted to destroy the world, remains an angel behind the façade of one of most hated beings in the world of religious beliefs. And with the birth of child, comes a reunion between father and daughter, and a new Pack member who reluctantly admits that family is more important than pride.

Savannah and Adam will, at last, admit they have been dancing around each other for many years. Savannah's proclamation that she has been in love with Adam since he `burned' her initials into a heart, and Adam maintains that their age difference held him back from taking the initial steps towards a relationship will quell the angst of unrequited love. Their relationship has been frustrating throughout the series, knowing that they belonged together, but it will be Adam's admission that he has felt the same way for a very long time.

Our favorite PACK will reunite in a short story at the end of the book-FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE. The previous Alpha will be vanquished from position in a head to head battle, a new Pack Alpha will be declared and their numbers will increase with the addition of a new member and his young family.

THIRTEEN is a fast paced, wild ride that will bring back many memories from the previous storylines. Cassandra and Aaron will sacrifice themselves to save a once-beloved Cabal member, while Jasper Haig is released to ensure Hope survives the end of the world. Many of the demon fathers make an appearance as the wall between the worlds slowly disintegrates, but the open portal will allow a beast so frightening, that even the powers of the supernatural are useless against its' attack. THIRTEEN is a wonderful end to a fantastic series that will be missed by so many readers and friends. I would like to thank the talented Kelley Armstrong for allowing me to ride along on the amazing adventures of Elena, Clay and the Pack. They will truly be missed.

see all of my reviews at : thereadingcafe(dot) com
on 1 September 2012
Paige Winterbourne is trying to find a new purpose in life now she has been stripped of her role as leader of the American Coven of Witches, but when her boyfriend's father Benicio Cortez appears on her doorstep she isn't sure what to think. Benicio has come to request Paige and Lucas's help as Cabal members children are being attacked and the Cabals can't seem to work together to find the killer. Using an external investigator may help, but working for the Cabals is something Lucas has always fought against and Paige has always feared.

This is the fourth book in the Otherworld series (after Bitten,Stolen and Dime Store Magic) and, like the previous installment, is narrated by Paige. This is the first real view into how Cabals work, building on their introduction in the last book and developing them further in both their business and magical aspects. The book is well paced, starting by throwing the reader in the deep end with the latest attack and building the tension from there. There are lots of plot twists and developments, some of which are completely unpredictable.

Paige and Lucas have a lot to deal with so I was happy to see their romance continue developing alongside the action. Lucas is forced to deal with some of his family issues and Paige begins to see how strange his family is compared to hers. As it is Cabal children being attacked, Savannah is away for most of the book for her own protection but this does allow Paige and Lucas more time together, both romantically and practically.

Benicio Cortez is an imposing figure and Lucas is very much the prodigal son although their relationship takes a backseat to the investigation into the attacks. However, the relationship does manage to be explored in the background alongside the concept of Cabals managing to present them as a mob-style gang crossed with an international business conglomerate and an old-boys high society club.

Once again the world building continues, picking up some supernatural races introduced previously and exploring them further. Paige is forced to work with Jaime Vegas (who she dissed in the previous book) a stage medium who is in fact a necromancer allowing a closer look at how they work, whilst the Cabal staff show a few new half-demon varieties. The werewolves reappear, allowing Elena and Paige to continue their friendship and Jaime to develop a crush on Jeremy that looks set to continue throughout the series.

Vampires also receive some focus and further refinement as Cassandra returns and a younger vampire Aaron is introduced. Cassandra's character is explored a lot more as she is starting to withdraw from the world, a sign that a vampire doesn't have much longer to live, which contrasts starkly with Aaron's more energetic people-friendly approach to life.

All in all, this was another great read and I'm looking forward to Haunted.

Plot: 9/10
Characters: 10/10
Ending: 10/10
Enjoyment: 10/10
Cover: 9/10

Overall: 48/50
on 17 February 2014
I have spent the last year waiting for this book to be released and when I finally got a copy what did I do? Did I read it immediately? No. Why? Partly because for a while I contemplated reading the entire series back to back and partly because I couldn’t bare to say goodbye to this series.
I have loved this series since the first 3 chapters of Bitten Watching Savannah grow up throughout the series (mostly on the sidelines) I was really pleased when she was finally old enough to have her own voice. I think Kelley Armstrong did a great job of allowing each of the women from the series a chance to have their voice heard in this last book.

I was completely drawn in by this book, I got that warm fuzzy feeling that feels like coming home, or being hugged by your favourite person. I found myself laughing in parts and crying in others (did anyone else do that or was it just me?). While I am sad that one of my favourite series is officially over there are enough ‘loose ends’ to leave openings for several more novella’s and who knows, maybe one day a 14th book in the series. Which makes me happy.

I know a lot of people have felt a little ‘short-changed’ on the ending, but I think its fitting. Not one of the characters leads a normal life, they all live with various dangers and as such there can be no ‘happy ever after’, but they come damn close.

If you haven’t read this series yet then I definitely recommend it. Especially if you like a little werewolf, witch/sorcerer, demon and vampire (amongst others) in your story.
on 27 June 2012
(Source: I own a copy of this book.)
This is book 4 in the `women of the otherworld' series, and kicks off a few weeks after the end of book 3.
We once again join Paige and Lucas, and this time they're almost, kind-of... working with Lucas' father Benicio and the Cortez Cabal!
It seems that several teens of employees of the Cabal *like a mafia family) have been killed, and the cabal are looking to find out who is behind it. Lucas is busy with one case, but Paige isn't, and when she finds out that one of the victims was a young run-away witch, she can't help but offer to lend a hand.

Things aren't easy though when half the witnesses seem to be dead, and every lead seems to finish in a dead end. There's plenty of intrigue though with necromancers, werewolves, and vampires dropping in to liven up the party.

Who is killing the Cabal kids though? And why?

I enjoyed this book, quite a lot more than `Dime Store Magic', it just flowed better, and held my attention better too.
The story starts with Paige failing in an attempt to form her own coven. She's been improving her powers using the spell books for the tertiary spells that she acquired in `Dime Store Magic', but nobody else seems interested in joining her, and so she's currently coven-less, and working on her own.
The main story in the book is about the murders of cabal employees' kids, but this develops into something even bigger as the story progresses. I wasn't overly sure about Paige and Lucas working with his father's Cabal, I was worried that there was a trick in there somewhere, but obviously sometimes you need to take risks.

The secondary characters in this book were so much fun! We once again meet Elena, Jeremy, and Clayton from `Bitten', and also have some vampires, and a necromancer thrown into the mix. Each character had their own ideas and intentions, but blended well with the rest of the storyline. There's not much from Savanna in this instalment, which seems to be a good thing, and we get to see a little more development in Paige and Lucas' relationship.

Overall; a great addition to the series.
8 out of 10.