Format: Paperback|Change

on 23 December 2004
"Industrial magic" is the fourth book in Kelley Armstrong's "Women of the Otherworld" series, and you are highly likely to enjoy it a lot, specially if you read the others before. "Bitten", "Stolen" and "Dime store magic" introduce you to a world where magic and the supernatural are just part of everyday life. "Industrial magic" just takes you further into it...
As you know, in "Dime store magic" Paige, a witch, had to fight for the custody of a young girl named Savannah. In order to do that she had to face a powerful Cabal, which is a mafia-like organization of sorcerers. Should I tell that witches and sorcerers aren't exactly on good terms?. And that Paige got to meet her new boyfriend Lucas, a sorcerer/lawyer, in the process of gaining Savannah's custody?.
In this book we get to see Paige and Lucas living together, and trying to keep Lucas's father, powerful Cabal leader Benicio Cortez, at a distance. The problem is that Benicio wants Lucas to assume the place of heir to the Cortez Cabal, despite being his youngest son, illegitimate, and the proud owner of quixotic tendencies that take him to endorse causes against the Cabal. Benicio loves his son, so he decides that asking for Lucas and Paige's help in an investigation involving the assault on a young witch (daughter of a Cortez Cabal employee) is a good way to approach him.
Clearly, both are very tempted to say no to Benicio's offer, but soon enough they realise that the assault is related to quite a few assassinations of other teenagers that belong to Cabal's families, and possibly to a supernatural killer. After that, can Paige and Lucas really say no?.
In "Industrial magic" we get to meet again our favourite werewolves (Elena, Clay and Jeremy), some of the vampires we already met (Cassandra and Aaron) and a few others, more half- demons and shamans, and even a necromancer. Also, we learn a lot more about the different Cabals and their inner struggles, about Lucas' dysfunctional family and Paige's attempts to come to terms with it. Of course, that isn't easy for her: how would you feel if your prospective brother-in-law had tried to kill you?.
So far, the first two books in the "Women of the Otherworld" series were centered on the werewolf Pack (through Clay and Elena's story), and the other two were centered on witches and sorcerers (through Lucas and Paige's story). I'm eager to read more from all of them, so Kelley Armstrong please write the other books in the series quickly :)
If you want to know more about the books I already mentioned, future release dates, or prequels to the novels in the series (available for free in Armstrong's website), visit [...] and you won't be disappointed.
On the whole, I believe this book is really great, and quite original. I heartily recommend it to you, if you like to mix the supernatural/ horror theme with a little bit of romance and a whodunit.
Belen Alcat
on 26 July 2012
I'm a huge fan of this series. This has been the series I've grown with. I've been reading them for about four years now. This has been the series that will always stand out in my mind. I think most readers will have that one series that pulled them into the world of reading and to me this is it. The Women of the Otherworld series introduced me to the world of all things paranormal. This series has had such an impact on me personally, and I will never forget it. Why am I telling you this? I want you to understand how much the ending of this journey means to me. I love these characters and I've watched them grow and become unique individuals. This is the world I want to step into to. But with 13, that journey comes to an end.

Yes, I'm upset that my all time favourite series is over but then again I'm not. Kelley Armstrong has brilliantly tied everything up from the series. We see all the characters returning and we find out what the future holds for them. it couldn't have been done better. The series finished on a high and this will make all readers come back again and again. We see the series wrapped up perfectly, every characters gets their ending and I couldn't be happier for them. Yes they are tried and tested throughout the book but that's what it's like to be a supernatural, nothing is easy or normal. It never will be. We've come to the end of the journey and that has left me very emotional. No other series has made me feel this way. This book in one word was perfect.

13 is a very good and strong book. It's one of the best in the series, and you can easily tell. Right from the start the reader is hauled into the middle of the action. This book is full of action, it's the war of the Otherworld after all isn't it? We see characters returning and combining forces to combat the bad guys. I loved how all the different supernatural races came together to save their world. It was brilliant.

I don't want to give too much of the story away as this is book 13. If you haven't read the series, I really recommend it. It will always remain my favourite.

13 joins the Otherworld when a mysterious group of supernaturals are hell bent on revealing their secrets to the rest of the world. In the middle of it all are our favourite characters. Each are drawn in and tangled into the groups plot to reveal the truth of supernaturals. We see Savannah and her friends coming together to find out how to stop this group before things change their world forever. What makes it worse is the leader of this group has created a deadly virus which can turn normal humans into terrifying monsters. As the Otherworld splits into two sides, Savannah and her friends have to put a stop to this before it's too late.

The characters in the Women of the Otherworld are so real and fleshed out. They are the best characters I have ever read about. Each main character is unique and there are a lot of them. Even so Armstrong creates memorable characters that leave a big impression on the reader. We have Savannah the fiery witch. She's brilliant, I've grown with her since we met her in book two. I love watching her grow and learn throughout the series, its a brilliant reflection of real life and what all of us go through. Minus the magic powers. We have Elena and the werewolves. I will always love them. It started with Elena in Bitten and even now she's my favourite. We have so many other important characters I can't list them all but they are all great. Well the good guys anyway! Even the bad guys were creepily real. Oh and the Demons, we got a better look at them in 13 and they were incredible. I won't say more as I don't want to spoil it.

I loved 13, it's that simple. It's a brilliant book that keeps the reader engrossed from start until finish. I didn't want it to end but it had too. The twists and turns were great too, some made me grip the pages harder others made me gasp. I didn't see any coming. Oh, I'm going to really miss this series. I feel like I'm saying goodbye to an old friend and it's heartbreaking. This will forever remain my favourite series, the impact it's had on me as a reader is phenomenal. This book was a brilliant end to the series and it couldn't have been better. The Women Of the Otherworld truly went out with a bang. 13 is the perfect ending to a brilliant series.
on 7 October 2004
i loved kelley armstrong's first 2 books Bitten and Stolen, but thought the 3rd book dime store magic was lacking appeal of the first 2, i'm definately glad i stuck with her though and went on to read industrial magic. This is by far the best book so far it has you hooked from the first page, and you definately warm to the characters as they develop more in this book. this book is great if you love all things weird!! it's packed full of witches, sorcerers, mediums and even the odd apperance from warewolves! it leaves you wanting to know more can't wait till haunted comes out!! 10/10
VINE VOICEon 4 April 2005
In the latest instalment of the Women of the Otherworld series we see the return again of Paige Winterbourne. Paige is now living with Lucas and they are trying to keep Benicio Cortez at a safe distance, which proves difficult as benicio wants Lucas, despite being not only the youngest but, also illegitimate as heir of Cortez Cabal.
Benicio thinks that asking for Lucas & Paiges help in an investigation involving a young witch, who also happens to be the daughter of an employee of Cortez Cabal, would be a good way to approach him. Paige & Lucas really want to say no but, find out the assault is relating to other assassinations of offspring's of Cortez Cabals employees. They noon realise they really cannot say no.
We also see again Jeremy, Elena and Clay albeit briefly and also Cassandra and Aaron the vampires we saw in Stolen. We also see a new character in Jamie who not only is a TV personality but, also a necromancer who really livens things up.
I really enjoyed this one even more so than Dime Store Magic, and can't wait to read Haunted which tells the story of Eve, Paiges deceased mother.
on 28 July 2012
And so it ends. A series that has been a mainstay of my late teens to my mid-twenties. I'm sad to know that my summers will not be spent stalking the postman in anticipation of the arrival of a new Otherworld book but also glad that Armstrong decided to end it when she did, with a bang and with some loose ends that hint towards the potential of another visit somewhere in the future. Those loose ends, though, are fitting because this is not the end of these characters lives and Armstrong makes clear in the author notes that, in some ways, this is just the beginning.

This is a very action packed book, probably the most relentless of all of the Otherworld novels, and there is very little in terms of downtime for Savannah and co. Armstrong just kept driving forward the plot that was built up in Spell Bound (Women of the Otherworld), with the Supernatural Liberation Movement continuing with their nefarious plot of outing the supes and unleashing a 'virus' that will turn humans too. But, of course, the characters I have come to know and love are not happy with this and join forces to try and save the day - and all with Savannah's powers still on the fritz.

If I'm being honest, the full on plot is a tad overwhelming in places, not always in a bad way, but it certainly made me slow down when I was reading to keep up with the goings on. Very hard to do when the writing makes you want to keep turning the pages at a speedy rate!

What I particularly enjoyed was how all the characters who narrated a previous instalment also got to narrate a chapter of this. I love multiple POVs and, as much as I've come to like Savannah as a character, particularly in this final book, I'm a little sad that they didn't get a second chapter to themselves. The powers, abilities and personalities that they have are all so different, it would have been nice to spend just a little bit more time with them.

I've had my highs and my lows with this series and 13 (Women of the Otherworld) may not be my favourite but it was so worth sticking with the series right until the very end. An excellent finale.

PS, the short story at the end was a really nice touch that harked back to the series beginnings.
After reading Dimestore Magic, the book which immediately precedes this one in Kelley Armstrong's series, I was in two minds about whether I wanted to bother reading Industrial Magic at all. I really enjoyed the mix of adult adventure and supernatural skullduggery in Bitten and Stolen, and was disappointed that DSM was so very mundane by comparison. So I picked up IM, expecting to be disappointed again...

Couldn't have been more wrong! The action switches back to adults, away from teenage angst, and there's a meaty plot to power the characters along. The sorcery ramps up and the cast of characters and supporting mythology all mesh together to create a satisfying quick-quick turn-the-pages-faster feel. It's almost as if Kelley Armstrong is making up for the domesticity of the previous installment by throwing everything at this one: you start off with witches and sorcerers but very soon you have international cabals, necromancers, the werewolf pack (yay!), vampires and probably a demon or two - and without a hint of cliché. Kelley Armstrong has the knack of incorporating the supernatural into the 21st century without it seeming absurd, so you can just sit back and enjoy the ride.

My only criticism of this novel is that maybe there are *too many* protagonists in the final chapters. Some of them aren't well established enough to stand out in the reader's mind so you get a bit of a mishmash of characters as the plot gallops to its climax. It's a little bit confusing - but to be honest I'd rather there was too much action than not enough!

So now I'm all fired up for the next one: Haunted. Great.

If you're thinking of buying this then it is possible to start here, although you'll need to bear with it a bit in the first couple of chapters and may struggle with some of the already established characters and their universe. I can't recommend starting with DSM (it really isn't `horror' or event very `supernatural adventure'), but try Bitten and the Stolen if you want to get into the swing of things. They introduce the world of Industrial Magic and many of the players, so then you could safely skip DSM and get to the good one!
on 17 March 2016
I'm not sure why this is here to review now as I bought it years ago, but it appears I forgot to review it here -(bad Nicky!), so here it goes:

Well, I cannot rate this higher, I adore the Women of the Otherworld series.

Again, we join Savannah Levine as she and her friends and family fight against SLAM (they gave them the extra vowel) and their dangerous supernatural reveal movement, aided by a certain Lord Demon. There is fighting on both sides of the veil, creatures from hell appearing on the New York subway, rabid werewolves and vampires at a rooftop wedding, demi demons possessing children, action, magic, romance, deadly viruses - this book has it all!

All of the characters that we have got to know and love are here in this final volume and we finally get to witness the reunion of two favourite characters (I won't ruin it and say who) which is quite emotional, but not overly so - this is the Otherworld after all, we'll deal with the emotions later.

We see Savannah growing into her powers, growing into her position and generally growing as a person. I don't want to go into the story as it is a great read that I believe any fantasy fan should enjoy without spoilers - unless you like them of course.

As we know, Kelley Armstrong likes her novellas - something I love her for - so although this is the final book, there are novellas that take place after 13 and hopefully another novel or two...or thirteen later on, maybe when all the Otherworld children have grown?

If you have read some of the Women of the Otherworld books before, definitely finish and get to 13, if you like Kelley Armstrong but haven't read WotO yet, do it and if you like fantasy but haven't picked up this gem of a series yet, I implore you to give it a go. I enjoy fantasy books of all types, as does my partner (though he prefers high fantasy over all others) and he loves the Otherworld also, so it isn't just for us women.
on 28 July 2012
13 takes off exactly where Spellbound ended, Waking the Witch, Spellbound and 13 are actually the only books from the Otherworld series that don't have a big time gap in between them. Savannah and Jaime get "arrested" while trying to get away from the lab explosion, they get taken to a police station but don't get booked or anything so conclude that it's a trap. After fighting off a crazed werewolf and and escaped hellhound, they manage to get away from the station with Eve. Eve and Savannah find out that there's an anti-SLM group as well. They plan to infiltrate the SLM to take it down from the inside but the plan fails when the Nast cabal get involved and take Eve and Savannah into custody. After getting away from the Nast cabal, they team up with the rest of the Otherworld crew minus Antonio & Nick (*sad face*) and through some helpful demon Lords in the shape of Eve and Adam's fathers, they manage to find out exactly what's going on and stop it - with a lot of magic and action.

So yeah that was a very small recap because so much happens in this book that I'd end up just writing the whole damn story here. Anyone who reads my reviews or knows me personally knows how much I LOVE Kelley's books - it's impossible to not love her writing. For me - and any long time Otherworld fan - this book was a bittersweet read, as much as I couldn't wait to read it I also didn't want to read it 'cos as soon as I did then the series would be over.

So some of my favourite bits or my gasp out loud moments ........ (will be hidden due to major spoilers so highlight to read) ....... this part of my original review contains major spoiler so please click the link if you want to read them [ ... ]

So any of my readers know they aren't going to get an unbiased review from me about a Kelley book - there's no such thing when it comes to Kelley. I freaking loved this book - sad to see the series end but Kelley did it justice. We got to see all of our favourite characters again and she tied off some open storylines while still leaving enough open to warrant novellas at a later date - which Kelley has said will happen.

FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE
Is a very short story purely there for the Alpha hand-off storyline. While 13 was happening, the twins and the rest of the pack were in Russia with the Russian pack so when Elena, Clay, Jeremy and Jaime join them, Jeremy officially hands the pack over to Elena.

I love the way he did it. Traditionally it would be a challenge so Jeremy challenged Elena to a game of chess. Which was already set up so that Elena would win since it was only a formality, everyone but Elena knew what was happening. Then there's a cool little scene with all the pack playing touch football as Elena watches them - and Jeremy is playing - realising they are her pack. As I said, a tiny short but it was only to serve one purpose. Oh and also let us see Xavier one last time.
on 10 May 2013
Ive never written a book review before...so excuse me if its a little vaque.

I love kelley armstrong, shes one of a my favourite authors but ive found the books in this series getting less 'fleshy' if that makes sense? The last couple of books that centered on Savannah (and the last one about Elena) seem to lack the depth that the others had and thats especially prevalent in 13. I enjoyed reading it and was sad to see the end but it left me feeling like nothing had really been accomplished in the book and that it was rather pointless? I dont know whether thats because ive grown up as these books have been written or something to do with the author. Its a must read for anyone who is a fan of the otherworld though.
on 24 May 2015
This book is a fantastic ending to a serial which has kept me engrossed. It was fast paced and made the most of the characters I have become attached to over previous books. The stories of the whole series have been very cleverly interwoven, with wonderfully developed characters. All credit is due to the author for managing to create a world which, although on the one hand is unbelievable, feels as if it may actually run in parallel to our own. At the end of this final book I was left with the feeling that all of my friends were leaving the town where we all live and leaving me behind. I felt happy that they would continue in their adventures, but could not shake off the feeling that I was being left behind.