Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 June 2017
Ahhh... Where to start? The emotions that this book brought out in me were unreal. A. L. Jackson has this uncanny ability to make me cry. Every. Single. Time!
This story is beautiful. A perfect combination of love, drama, happiness and heartbreak. The tears were not just of sadness, but also of joy. This story is one of my favourites from A. L. Jackson. This woman writes the most beautiful books. The descriptive word is sheer brilliance. She is able to clearly implant the images, feelings and emotions into your imagination. That is just one of the reason she will always be one of my favourite author's.
I loved how this story is written from both Jared and Aly's perspective. The flashbacks are always written in third party, giving you the sense of detachment from the main storyline, and also allowing you see more from the supporting characters. I think this always gives a deeper insight, almost like watching a snippet of one of their home movies.The
All in all this book hit the spot for me. It is perfectly written and beautifully balanced.
on 8 April 2015
Amy Jackson never sees to amaze me.
Come to me softly is a eloquently written, gut wrenching love story about finding redemption hope, healing, learning to let go, forgiveness, and ultimately the power of love conquering all.
I don't need to get into details about the plot, if you have read come to me quietly then you already know the story and to find out what happens next you NEED to read this book RIGH NOW.
If you are unfamiliar with the closer to you series then I suggest you buy book one now and get to know Aly and Jared you won't regret it. They will take you on a incredible journey that your will never forget.
The last 15% of this book had me bawling my eyes out. It will wreck you and put you back together again.
These two will stay with me for a very long time. I'm so happy the series is not over and coming next is Christopher story, I can't freaking wait.
Another brilliant book from the Amazing AL Jackson.

I highly recommend this book and series.
on 15 March 2017
I love A L Jackson - her stories are always so real and the emotions so deep. Her characters come to life from the pages - and you're hooked!
on 30 June 2014
20y.o heroine takes back her 23y.o secret boyfriend Hero who left her without any contact the last 3 months. Her pregnancy motivates him to be there for her even more and make a stable life with her. He, however, has to face her family, which stirs up the past he's trying so hard to push away. What does he do when trouble comes? How much of his secrecy will she take?

In this sequel of Come To Me Quietly, the main romance reached a point of stability, which was nice to see after all the angst of the first book. The poignancy was more in Hero's unresolved issues from his mother's death 7 years ago. It was complicated by its connection to his and her family, who's reactions make it difficult for him to keep ignoring his past. Both Hero and heroine develop in this book, with heroine leading in the maturity progression. She was the backbone of their romance, which added this strength to her innate sweet and loving character. I liked that heroine dared to confront him about hard things.** The resolution was realistic and made for a believable HEA(happy ever after), which the epilogue gives us a good glimpse of.

Recommended.

**A pictorial review with SPOILERS is on my blog … movesme.blogspot.com/2014/06/come-to-me-softly-a.l.-jackson.html
*ARC provided by the author in exchange for an honest review.
AL Jackson never ceases to amaze me in how much emotion she can invoke through her writing. Her characters become deeply entrenched within your own psyche that their emotion becomes your own.

While I didn’t fully connect with Jared due mainly to his idealized view of his mother, his emotional pain and growth were none-the-less poignant. Re-uniting with Aly, he strives toward a better life for the both of them. Unfortunately, for him this means burying his demons deep within himself rather than dealing with his trauma. Plagued by feelings of worthlessness and guilt all buried beneath a false exterior, it’s like seeing him swim through tar to try to reach the light.

There is a continual air of apprehension within the narrative while you wait for the inevitable explosion of emotion. At times the apprehension clouds the moments of joy. Making the connection to Jared that little bit stronger, due to the fact that no matter how much happiness he has in his life it is always overshadowed by his past. The plot-line is equally emotional and intense, readers need to be prepared to have their emotions stripped raw. It was hard to witness Jared’s easy acceptance of negativity when he is surrounded by so much love and happiness.

Aly is an amazing character. To see her gain confidence, self-assurance and independence as the story progressed was a privilege. Her capacity for forgiveness, compassion and love was awe-inspiring. The sibling relationship between Aly and Christopher added to the emotion within the story. Together, brother and sister, provide an emotional stability for the other that they can always rely on, carefully concealed beneath a barrier of sarcasm ;)

While I enjoyed Come to Me Softly I did feel as if Jared’s view of his mother I felt bordered on obsession, twisting his love for Aly when tied to memories/emotions of his mother. The outstanding feature for me and the aspect that eclipsed any negativity I may have had towards the story was how the strength of someone’s love can provide the necessary stability in which all those touched by it can thrive.
on 10 August 2014
I had to go back to 'Come to Me Quietly' and read the last couple of chapters because it was January when I read this and wanted to familiarise myself with the characters etc, well it all came rushing back to me as I remembered how sad this story was and was crying almost instantly.
It doesn't take much to realise that 'Come to Me Softly' is going to be a tough read, the whole time I was reading it I had this feeling of hesitation and my heart was in my mouth. Every single word,sentence and page oozes emotion I don't know how A.L.Jackson does it, I felt so emotionally spent after reading this, so I can't imagine how she felt.
It took me 3 days to read this and I cried so much, even while I'm doing the review I can't stop thinking about it, I'm certainly suffering a book hangover.
Jared and Aly, well especially Jared has endured so much pain and self loathing and their story's portrayed so well like know other actually, both books in this series are outstanding, I can't praise A.L. Jackson enough she's an incredible Author even thinking back to 'The Regret Series' .. Just brilliant and I'm looking forward to Christopher' s story.
Thank you..!!
on 28 June 2014
‘CTMQ is an emotional, powerful and deeply compelling story of love, redemption and second chances. Simply stunning!’ - Kelly, Perusing Princesses Blog.

This sequel is everything I imagined it to be. Everything I wanted it to be. And more!

Come To Me Quietly / Come To Me Softly may be a love story in the traditional sense, but don't be fooled — it is so much more than that! This is a story of friendship, family, heartbreak, loss and new beginnings.

I don’t want to go into a full overview because this story is one that deserves to be nurtured and cherished. It depicts a very deep and emotional picture of a man who is broken, but who knows what it is to love and hold tight to the desire of change. The inner voices, the doubt, the guilt, everything is laid bare for the reader with no sugar coating in sight; it is rather melancholic that way, and yet at the same time, profoundly beautiful.

I drowned in A.L Jacksons words; in her deep portrayal of Jared's internal suffering and Aleena's selfless beauty.

Jared - a broken young man who believes himself undeserving of anything.
Aly - a strong woman determined to prove that he deserves it all.
Yin and Yang, yet synchronised in perfect harmony. These are two characters that you will have no choice but to fall in-love with as they meddle through the good, the bad and the ugly.

Jared, with all his inner demons knows that the only way he can truly give Aly what she needs, what she and their unborn baby deserves is to fight the battle and face his challenges head-on. Finding his Father and younger sister is a terrifying prospect. He remembers the day his Father walked away, leaving him to defend for himself shortly before he was carted off to Juvenile Hall, the look of hatred in his eyes has haunted him for as long as he can remember. Sometimes though, a shove in the right direction by a loving hand can help lay those ghosts to rest… The only question is, is Jared ready?

‘Volatile yet pure.
Corrupted yet worthy.
My beautifully broken boy’. - Aly

Days without Aly were darkness, and I was done surrendering to it. - Jared

“Since I was just a little boy, this has beat for you. Even before I knew what it meant. Now I know it means everything.” - Jared

‘My heart had begged for him. Whispered and pled for him. But God, did my body ever ache for him.’ - Aly

Like I said… Beautiful!

READ IT!!!

The next instalment in the Closer to You series will focus on Aly’s Brother, Christopher and I for one, CAN’T. WAIT! <3
on 29 September 2014
I loved the storey of Jared and Aly although I found the writing a little deep at times. There were good times between the two main characters throughout the book`s but it was always cut short by the pressures placed on Jared by his passed. This storey is long and yet I'm still left with questions. The epilogue was to short and It didn't really satisfy my need to know that Jared and Aly would stay together, as there problem`s wouldn't be fixed over night. I would have liked to travel a little further into their happy ever after to see how Jared totally broke free to live his life with his family, to see how Aly`s Dad dealt with Jared`s change and to see him build a good relationship with his dad and sister. Christopher and Megan disappeared from the storey towards the end when I was convinced they would become friends!! A good read but couldn't give it more than 3 stars.
on 15 July 2014
I love ALJ work a lot, red all her books so far, this one is my favourite. I already thought I loved all her previous books but this one was special for me. Adore this story and Aly and Jared so much that I was crying and feeling their pain and joys too. Don't want to spoil anything for anyone, as you need to read yourselves to believe me. For me ALJ is the best writer, she can make you believe every single word to read and that says a lot about her work. Can't wait for more stories of her.
on 30 June 2014
Absolutely fantastic...I love this author so much she completely takes my breath away with her writing talents...she rips my heart out n fixes it again. Another fantastic series love Jared and aly!!
A.L Jackson u rock love all your books :) she really knows how to draw me in I've now got a massive book hangover which I always have after one of A.L's books. One click this baby and experience Jared and aly for yourself you'll love it.
Looking forward to Christopher's book next....:)