Customer reviews

on 1 February 2014
This has received mixed reviews and I if'd and butted before I downloaded. Glad I did. I have enjoyed a lot of this author's books and was not disapointed with this one. Its too easy to forget why you like a particular author at times. I love JAK because I know that I am going to love the characters. I don't care if they are a bit like charaters in her other books. Thats the way I like them - I am drawn to them, cheer them on and want to know that they will get there in the end. They are also the reason why I reread the books.

There is a good mystery with a little romance thrown in. It kept my interest and had me late for the school run a couple of times - yep a good book!
on 20 July 2017
I had never read a book by this author but his one sounded just what I wanted - a mystery combined with romance.
The outline of the story had potential but the execution was lacklustre.
I cannot imagine wanting to read another book by the author and I feel 3 stars is generous.
on 10 June 2017
Really enjoyed this book , this is my first read but this author, I will definitely be downloading another , not sure which one but I'm now looking!
on 25 May 2017
If you like Nora Roberts you should enjoy this
on 25 May 2017
Very good as usual.
on 17 January 2015
JAK returns to early form here. No magic, no alternate world, just mystery and romance.
For the last few years it has felt like JAK has been coasting. Rehashed plots, h's and H's who are interchangeable, well written but no spark/fire.
So it was nice to see this attempt to gain her earlier form but it kind of fell short - mainly because this book feels like it was an old draft sitting somewhere in a file that the publishers have dusted off an attempted to market as a recent work. There are a couple of clues. The h, feels uptight an old fashioned, the whole talk of therapy and meditation - done already in several early JAK books.
The relationship between her Aunts that everyone (and I do mean everyone) keeps referring to them as being 'good friends'. Though they obviously lived together and were lovers. For heaven's sake - just say they were lovers or partners. Why tip toe around the subject so coyly?
The relationship between the H & h - was a little bit clumsy. There's murder and mayhem going on but then we'd suddenly switch to a romance scene. Even the sex scene felt a little bit out dated (as if written years ago)
Oh, and the jumps/conclusions everyone makes - well they are just nonsensical. At one point the villain, says they just had a feeling that the h had discovered their identity, based upon nothing more than watching her. Huh? And the villain's reasons for doing everything , ridiculous, if they are that balls out crazy how did they hold down a job for so long and interact with people?
I think I'm finally coming to the realisation that JAK will no longer be on my automatic 'must buy' list. I just don't think she can deliver a 'fresh' - keep me gripped to the book - read like she could once upon a time.
on 22 October 2014
This is the first Jayne Ann Krentz book I've read - I finally caved after months of Amazon recommending this author in response to the large number of Nora Roberts books I've read.

I wasn't a huge fan of River Road. The writing style is very simple - which isn't always a bad thing, but there were occasions when it jumped out at me. The plot isn't complex, either - which, again, isn't always a bad thing. But there's also a tendency to recap everything that's happened from every character's point of view, so it can be very repetitive, especially if you're a fast reader like me.

Although I realised I wasn't going to love this book, I was getting on all right until I got to the plot elements about business and more detail on the private detective's computer programme. This is where I have to agree with other reviewers that things were rather unrealistic.

There was a lot I liked about the general gist of the story, though, so there's a good chance that I might enjoy other books by this author, especially if they don't feature modern business and police work. Let's face it, the back catalogue is massive so there's bound to be something I like!
on 9 March 2014
Although the end result is predictable, getting there was a very good read. The characters were believable, and the suspense as to who was going to do what, very good. Recommended!
on 12 February 2014
This is a great read. I could not put it down really enjoyed this book was disappointed to finish it.
on 17 March 2014
Enjoyable but not as good as other Krentz books I've read. The two main characters haven't really stayed with me and I found the storyline a bit obvious. Not her best.