on 3 September 2013
there is nothing new to warrant buying this book. they are jumping on the intermittent fasting bandwagon in what appears to be a hastily written book and not up to Patrick Holdfords normal standard. I dont agree with all the snacking that you are supposed to do as this will still impact your insulin and Leptin levels despite being low glycemic.
on 1 April 2017
Since I started following the GL diet I have lost 9kg and dropped two dress sizes without feeling hungry. You just do not feel as though you are on a diet. Marvellous diet, best I have every been on - would not eat any other way now and I have even got used to oily fish!
on 20 March 2017
A good easy reading book full of common sense information.
on 16 March 2017
some great tips
on 22 August 2013
Unless you have a base knowledge of the GL Diet don't bother. I agree with another review in that it seems rushed in an attempt to make money. The book relies on the fact that you are already familiar with his concepts (which are good, sound nutritional advice) I am a fan of his work but would not recommend this as a 'stand alone' read
on 25 September 2013
Bought this as a means of changing the way I think about food; usually eat nutritious meals, all the fruit/veg etc, but more sedentary life meant weight gain... this short book gives some real thought to how we eat, how we can exercise when time is short [and motivation pretty low - to be fair, not all of us actually want to go dashing round the park, or join a gym, etc]

This has given me quite fresh ideas - I also bought the book of GL recipes, and have started enjoying those; the first time I've found a 'diet' really enjoyable, and capable of being eaten as a regular pattern. Exercise patterns, included in th diet plan, are very 'do-able'
on 19 July 2013
Mostly it boils down to this. Eat less than 800 kCals 3 times a week. At all other times eat as much Low GL foods in your diet as possible. Give yourself 1 day a week off. Take a multivit and do some exercise. (I suggest bodyrock.tv)

I tell ya why I'm annoyed with this book. I've bought a read a few books from Patrick Holford and they're very thorough. This book though is just a plug for his other books. I bought this one as a diet book, so in here I want to find all the information, full lists of recommended foods and the less obvious foods to avoid along with all the recipes etc There's just a couple and then remarks to go get his other recipe books. I don't know about much about vegan or vegetarian cooking so it's back to the store for me to get a good book of recipes.
on 6 June 2013
I purchased this book over a week before release date from Patrick Holford's website. The book is very short, with only around a hundred pages to read, and quite large text size at that. If you just want to get to the point and get started with this diet then it's a good book, it certainly won't take you long to get through it. However, if you're inexperienced in adding up calories or knowing how many grams of carbohydrates or how many GL points are in various foods, you might trip up over a few errors in the book. An example is when Patrick is describing typical breakfasts that you might eat on your low calorie days (every other day), and he says to mix 50g of Lizi's low GL granola with a further 50g of oats and add some berries on top of that. This is in his list of ideas for meals that are less than 300 calories. If you made up this meal you would be eating 290 calories from the granola alone (according to the bag), so add on the oats and berries and you've gone way over. You would also notice that it is a very large portion, which would hopefully arouse suspicion in some.
I'm not saying the whole book is full of errors like this but there are slight inconsistencies throughout, probably because this book seems to have been rushed out, in the wave of trendy alternate day/5:2/one day a week fasting type diets.
I love Patrick's Optimum Nutrition Bible and everything in that seems very well researched and very thought out. I would live by that book alone if I had to choose one nutrition book in the whole world to live according to. However, this latest book is short and I feel rushed. There's no doubting the diet will work (one day 800 cals of low GL foods and the next day 'normal' eating of low GL foods, but I wish he'd spent more time giving more examples of low GL foods and a better meal plan for the non-800 calorie days.
It's good but not that good!
33 Comments| 40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 18 June 2017
I'd really recommend this having tried a variety of diets /healthy eating plans previously. I'm in week 1 and already lost 6lb!
Interestingly i don't feel that hungry now. The first two days are harder but it feels as if my hungry grazing nibbling gene has been muted! It's just the head hunger you need to watch! It explains the basics of the eating plan and has enough recipes to keep you going for a few weeks. But I've just ordered the recipe book too as you need more ideas.
on 9 August 2013
Apart from the inclusion of exercises, this appears to be a revamp of previously issued publications from the same author.
Without a doubt, the low GL diet works, but, On the whole, I'm disappointed with both content and value of the book.