Customer reviews

2,977
Format: Paperback|Change

on 19 September 2014
great riff on loss and the devasting long term consequences. good read but last quarter diverges into an ill fitting thriller (ill fitting with the rest of the novel)
on 9 May 2014
An incredible read, and I feel slightly bereaved to leave Theo behind. Read it - so very well written and so unique. A very gritty but poignant tale. Don't miss out!
on 16 February 2014
Interesting, but weird. For my liking too many changes in speed, and different types of styles in one book - as if it was a joint project between a group of writers..
on 24 September 2016
Another excellent novel with an interesting concept. Needs your attention though and is not one for skimming through. Found some parts overly wordy hence the rating
on 8 June 2015
Would strongly recommend to anyone that has enjoyed any of Donna Tartt's previous work. Despite it's length this book captivates your attention - a real page turner!
on 6 March 2015
Amazing - so different but the writing is so descriptive. I feel as if I'm living there with Theo, can't wait to get back to it. Shall feel lost when I reach the end
on 11 August 2014
Great story, I had to finish it just couldn't put it down. I love Donna Tartt's writing. I didn't give it 5 stars because it was just a little too lengthy for me .
on 17 May 2014
This book took a long long time to get into, I am so glad I did though. Provoked my thoughts and maybe gave me a few I genuinely had never come across before. Epic.
on 23 April 2014
Such a story with incredible characters + it made my husband who restores antiques reach for a notepad to jot down the recipes for polishing and tips on restoration!
on 9 January 2016
started off incredibly well but then just went on and on and on.

implausibly long-winded, could make an interesting short story but not an 880 page novel