on 9 January 2012
I am a big fan of Christopher Brookmyre's recent books, so was keen to read some of his earlier work. This book was a real treat, as all the cutting wit and acerbic one liners are there. I also really enjoyed reading through one of Jack Parlabane's early adventures.
on 7 January 2001
My first foray into fiction by British writers was John McLaren's "Press Send". I purchased and read all his (7th Sense, Black Cabs) immediately, despite the extraordinary shipping fees to the States. While browsing at a Borders books here in the US, I found "Quite Ugly One Morning" -- must have been a special order that was not picked up -- I grabbed it up from a brief read of the synopsis and devoured it. Brookmyre is whitty, comic, and serious all at the same time. Excellent character development, plot structure and suspense. While I could not appreciate all of the humor and references to British society, I loved this novel. I'm picking up the remainder of his published works and away "Not the End of the World", which I'm told is due for an April release. Thank you Brookmyre!
on 19 January 2010
This was the third copy of QUOM that I have bought - first the audiobook, read with great gusto and a virtuoso display of different voices by David Tennant; then, as that was an abridged recording, the original book. This time, I was buying it to give to somebody else!
Christopher Brookmyre was a new discovery last year, and I loved his books so much that I now own all but the latest. I highly recommend this author if you can put up with his occasional anti-politician and -religious rants. Oh, and the gore of course. And the ripe language!
The thing is, of course, that the sum of all these parts is so much greater than the whole. The man is a genius - this was his first book and is a good place to start. Go buy!
on 20 October 2000
I bought the book as the third of a buy 2 get 1 free deal because the cover was bright. I couldn't get into the other two so started reading it. It took me over half an hour to read the first chapter. The descriptions of the smells, liquids and solids that inhabit the flat were, not a delight, but very funny and real... and as for the jobbie!!!!! The funniest book I have read in years. His others are almost equally as good, Not the end of the world isn't as good but still better than most books published today. Brookmyre is the best writer of crime, thriller, comedy etc around today - read him
on 20 October 2013
I was laughing out loud from literally the first sentence. Beautifully crafted comedy. First class.

Natasha Holme
Author of 'Lesbian Crushes and Bulimia: A Diary on How I Acquired my Eating Disorder'
on 11 December 2009
Despite the picture of Mr Nesbit on the cover (they were pushing the TV production) this is read by David Tennant.
This was the first Chris Brookmyre book that I bought, it was also the first Brookmyre audiobook that I bought.
This purchase was to upgrade from cassette to cd.
Personally I prefer the unabridged versions and Kenny Blythe, who normally reads Chris Brookmyre books, does a very good job.
However I did like David Tennants reading of the book and decided it was worth buying again.
A good editing job has been done to the original text.
Worth buying as an introduction to the world of Christopher Brookmyre audiobooks
on 6 July 2001
A good page turner with a great central character and excellent comedy villains.
The first few chapters were so gloriously vulgar I found myself hooked. However Brookmyre lets up the vulgarity a little and gets on with telling an excellent story.
Jack Parlabane is an honest everyman who is easy to like and root for. The villains are a treat, a fat Tory, who is basically an embodiment of how Scottish people view the Tory party and a hapless English thug are gloriously evil and you are eager to see them get there just desserts!!
A treat, so much so that I have gone and bought all his other books, a real talent!!!
on 21 November 2000
It's black and full of colour. I read this in 1998 and I can still remember it vividly, the house , the railway sidings, the vistas over the rooftops at dawn. And I still laugh when I remember that one scene.
Somebody mentioned in the reviews that the graphic descriptions were off putting but that's like saying you don't like the countryside because it's muddy and smells like sh*t
I think the author is honest, it's a good funny book, perfect for it's genre, so for that I would give it 5, but in the bigger scheme of things...
Great for wrapping up warm with on a winter weekend. Buy it.
on 21 September 2014
Quite simply the most breathtaking and outrageously funny and exciting debut novel I've ever read. I had read One Fine Day in the Middle of the Night (possibly even better, blacker, more violent and funnier) and went back to the start and have thoroughly enjoyed a journey through CB's works. Just pick this up and read - you will know very soon if it's your thing. Think Colin Bateman or Carl Hiaasen and add a Scottish twist, a more finely controlled, yet manic sense of hysterical violence and a keener sense of plot and pace and you have Christopher Brookmyre. Fabulous.
on 8 September 2013
This I a fantastically written book and a very good start to the series.

I was recommended to read this by a friend, I've not stopped thanking them!