TOP 50 REVIEWERon 11 September 2012
I really enjoyed this book. It's a fascinating, humorously written mixture of weather-related science, weather trivia and amusing weather anecdotes. I didn't know much about meteorology when I started and found myself being educated whilst I was being amused. I was interested to read that St Swithin's only claim to fame was reconstituting a few eggs. I enjoyed Connelly's wry style of writing: "After roughly 1,000,000,000 years - I think it was on a Thursday - the earth began to cool." This would make ideal reading for anyone with even a cursory interest in meteorology who also wants something entertaining the read. It would also make a good gift for trivia buffs too. It's a firm recommendation from me.
on 14 October 2012
I'm a fan of Mr Connelly's books and looked forward to this one being published. It's basically a series of chapters about the various components of the weather, eg wind, snow, fog etc being amongst the themes. The book is researched in detail in places, with interesting back up anecdotes about pioneers like Beaufort and Fitzroy. There were, I felt some rather weak sections where the author tried to persuade the reader about the personal influence aspects of the weather had had on him. I was surprised that the book made so little reference to events and people in "Attention All Shipping", Mr Connelly's previous book where he visits the sea areas of the Met Office forecast. Overall, I didn't find it a thrilling read, but a comfortable and generally engaging one.
on 12 September 2012
I chanced upon a chapter of this book on the car radio this morning and am hooked. Lots of interesting information wrapped up in an engaging writing style which might possibly be slightly light for real weather addicts but not so that you wouldn't want to know more - so I'm off to buy it.
on 11 February 2015
I enjoyed reading this book which revealed a lot of information about out weather that I didn't know. The book also contains some short biographical sketches of several men who investigated different aspects of our weather, which I found very interesting and informative. I would recommend this book as an interesting read to anyone who would like to understand more about our weather etc.
on 12 January 2013
Not as immediately captivating as some of his earlier books. There are some fascinating bits of information in the book but i felt the first half lacked the warmth and wit that normally shines through in his other books. It is still there though and the second half is great and the finally couple of chapters have Connelly back on top form. Well worth a read.
on 20 November 2012
Heard an exract on Radio 4, and went ahead and bought it. I enjoyed a bright, breezy survey of the weather and weather forecasts. However, I would have liked a bit more depth in places instead of the author's personal anecdotes.
on 25 May 2013
This is the third Charlie Connelly book that I have read, and it is just as good as the others. I think that his writing style is great, he manages to be interested in the subjects he writes about, informative and the prose is lightly scattered with humour.

[book:Attention All Shipping A Journey Round the Shipping Forecast|1450050] was loosely about the weather, and FitzRoy, but for this book he has concentrated on the weather, and our relationship with it. He has split the chapters to cover different weather event, rain, snow wind and so on.

Each chapter has anecdotes and characters from the history of weather forecasting, significant weather events and also his personal feelings and interactions with the weather.
on 18 October 2012
Written by the same author who wrote 'Attention All Shipping', both books provide and light-hearted and very readable approach to things you may not have considered or may have taken for granted. 'Attention All Shipping' is essentially a travel book in which you accompany the author on his, often hilarious, attempts to visit all the areas in the shipping forecast. 'Bring Me Sunshine' is a similar 'romp' through the vagaries of the great British weather and if Samuel Johnson was right in his observation of two Englishmen, then you'll want to read this book because not only is it funny and informative but it will provide you with plenty of scope for a bit of one-up-manship to throw into what might otherwise be a very mundane conversation!
on 20 August 2014
Very enjoyable, peopled with various obsessive Victorian scientists and crackpots, written in Connelly's inimitable style. This is the third book I've read by this author and I've loved them all.
on 14 January 2015
Loved the authors other books but honestly struggling to be engaged with this one. As another reviewer says, some interesting content but lacks oomph!