Customer reviews

The Birthday Boys
Format: Paperback|Change

on 24 February 2011
Pleasant read - Th title is rather uninspiring. It's a fictional account of the attempt of the Terra Nova to reach the South Pole as seen by 5 main characters involved. It took a little while to get into then and then was sad when it ended (a rather short book). I think it is very well and cleverly written. I was constantly trying to disentangle fact from fiction. I warmed up to the characters and it's one of the books that I liked more and more after having read it and been thinking about a lot since I read it. It got me really interested to read Scott's diaries as I was not clued up on the original adventure at all. Definitely recommended.
on 7 June 2011
This is a very appealing book - short and pithy, clever storytelling, strong narrative. Most of us will have some background knowledge of the doomed expedition, but the fictional weaving of place and character still comes as something new. I enjoyed reading Birthday Boys, and would like to read it again. There's a slight flimsiness to the book, which can feel lightweight even superficial, at times - the absolute tragedy of these men's stories, their foolhardiness and arrogance is not quite captured in such a way as to really strike home; it left me feeling unsatisfied - but I would recommend it as an entertaining read nonetheless.
on 15 July 2015
Poignant and brilliantly written this short novel by Beryl Bainbridge is well researched and captures minute detail of the characters very well. although this paperback is not huge I feel that Ms Bainbridge has really got to know the five men she writes about and the short stories she builds around each one is touching and clever.
I'd highly recommend this - already I've read it more than once and every time I feel I get a bit closer to those brave men of the South Pole Expedition
on 26 September 2011
The Birthday boys is the story of Captain Scott's fatal arctic exploration at the turn of this century. Each of the 5 men( the birthday boys of the title) narrate a chapter each . The prose is sparse but effective. Beautifully written, haunting and sad she simply conveys the frailies and human traits of this group of men as they struggle on their fateful journey. The peril's of the icy landscape is truely captured. Breathtaking this is surely Beryl Bainbridge's finest novel.
on 24 March 2013
Working in Year 5-6 classes in a Primary School, this book fitted perfectly with our current topic: Antarctica. I found it gave me a great background in the Scott Expedition, and I used it to encourage the children's creative writing. It was especially useful when they were writing diary entries. In addition it is a great story, evocative and moving. Recommended.
VINE VOICEon 16 January 2014
An unexpected title. I didn't expect the subject to be about Scott of the Antarctic but it was done done so well. Of course all the time the reader knows that the expedition is a doomed one, and this adds to the fascination of the story. You have all the feelings and emotions of the men involved right to the bitter end.
on 21 August 2013
Enjoyed the story from the perspective of different members of the party. Would have liked a map to pinpoint the way they taversed the Antarctic. (The repro. map at the front was drawn after the expedition and it took me a while to appreciate that it only marked the "return" jouney.
on 21 October 1999
what a good read,at last captain scott and his merry men seem like real people.Rather silly people admittedly but heroes none the less.thanks Beryl.
on 19 November 2016
Really nteresting - -especially if backed up by other reading such as the The Worst Journey in the World. Everyone in the book group enjoyed it.
on 25 September 2014
Bought three Bainbridge books together and this was my favourite. The others were An Awfully Big Adventure and According to Queeney.