Customer reviews

on 28 May 2017
A good mixture of stories, well written and for the most part humorous. My first foray into the writings of Rich Hall and I will read more.
on 7 December 2010
If like a lot of people your only image of Rich Hall is that of the surly cowboy on QI then you might imagine Magnificent Bastards were a similar grumpy snarl with the odd wry smile, but Rich Hall has produced a brilliant collection of leftfield characters,bizarre situations and some laugh out loud moments. This is a rare kind breed of book that I enjoyed so much that I've had to lend it to friends, family, work colleagues,neighbours and strangers (I really should've just told them to buy it to add to Mr. Hall's bank balance). Do yourself and everyone you know a favour and get it !
on 10 December 2010
As Stimpson J Cat would say.
Rich Hall has a world view, and a way of conveying it, that tickles my ribs and it's hard to get enough of it. To find he writes was an unexpected pleasure when I came across this tome in my local library. I haven't paid too much attention to his TV career over here (Rich Hall on fishing? come on...QI, purleese!) preferring him up close and personal on stage or DVD.
Tall tales well told are everpresent. He's done the prarie dog routine onstage, but in here it's a much darker tale of paranoia and inadequate behaviour. The grifting father and the lessons imparted is dark and priceless, the softball incident could have come from WikiLeaks and the Kentucky driver incident is a lesson in wish fullfilment that we can all recognise after that bit of a brush in the supermarket carpark.
Only the last story is a bit of a misfire, but that's Rich Hall; he puts it out there until it teters on the brink, sometimes, rarely, it falls over, but it's a cluncker when it does.
Buy this book or I will coach your softball team to the edge of disaster...
on 20 November 2011
I'll have to admit, I'm not a massive fan of Rich Hall's stand-up. I read this on a whim and was amazed. I think he is a natural story-teller, with perfect pacing, a real command of dialogue, and an ease of narrative that shows great confidence in his own writing talent (or maybe it's a simply a natural talent for writing). I don't think this is an incredibly funny book, but for me that did not detract at all, not in the least. My favourite story in this collection is 'Prairie Dogs'. There was only one story I didn't particularly like, entitled 'Rachel'. I would love to see him write a novel. I'm sure it would be better than a lot of fiction published in the UK at the moment. More please, Rich...
on 10 August 2009
Superb stuff. Each chapter a real rib tickler; whether the setting is Route 66 or Tottenham Court Rd Rich is compulsively funny. He is no less than a master of comic invention and irony. The southern state sourpuss persona is all his own but what you also take from the book is his warmth: his sense of humour offends noone.
on 28 January 2014
typical rich hall book,full of satire and hilarious angles and take on life.Laughed from beginning to end,can't recommend highly enough
on 19 June 2016
Different, and largely worth reading for the most part. Abstract stories like these are sitting there in many heads, waiting to be spun, but most of us don't think anyone would be interested, or get the opportunity to tell or publish them. I'd love to know the inspiration for each and every one, what parts were real, what parts were heard by Rich Hall, which parts were which parts. Perhaps a second book detailing the origins? Cheers.
on 15 April 2010
Funny with some good lines. Story is easy enough to read and it keeps you interested in that you want to get it finished and see what happens. Not as funny as the man in the flesh but a decent enough read to get you through a hot summer week or a round the world flight.
on 8 March 2013
Another hilarious offering from the dry humoured Rich Hall.
i enjoy his humour, this collection of short stories had me laughing out loud throughout.
An excellent read, Highly Recommended
on 4 September 2009
I saw Rich Hall live some time ago and laughed my head off, so I was very much looking forward to this. The short stories are strange and interesting, and often weird but unless you imagine him saying the words, they're not that funny.

Good for an easy, short read, but you probably won't remember the stories after a few weeks.