Format: Paperback|Change

on 26 February 2003
I am a huge fan of the humour and insight shown on the TV series Sex and the City. Unfortunately this book is nothing like it - just an inane selection of conversations with no apparent point or punch-line.
This book is poorly written and lacks the likeable characters featured on the TV series.
The many Americanisms and references to people only Americans have heard of, also makes it a difficult read for people outside the US.
My advice. Don't bother.
on 5 May 2003
Since I am a fan of the TV series, I treated myself to this book .....What a mistake !! The screenwriter is to be congratulated in making a silk purse from a sow's ear...the book is noticeably lacking in the wit and charm that pervades the series..Just a set of boring monologues ......
22 Comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 1 December 2005
I read the reviews on amazon before buying this book, but thought it couldn't possibly be that bad, believe me it IS! It was awful, stick to the tv series
on 9 April 2010
How a series as wonderful as Sex and the City was spawned from this mediocre,boring book I have no idea.Candace Bushnell deserves credit for inventing Carrie Bradshaw and Mr.Big e.t.c but don't read this unless you've run out of paint to watch drying.
on 29 June 2010
I absolutely love the tv series so i treated myself to this book thinking is was in for more amazing stories!

What a waste of money, this book is nothing like the series (i know a lot of books are this way but this is extremely bad) i was left wondering how such an amazing series was developed from such a terrible book. The book is made up of columns and this is about the only similarity with the series, howover, there is absolutely no flow to the columns and most of the time the book makes no sense whatsoever. I was often left thinking "whats going on"

I also bought another of Bushnells books but i can't bring myself to read it after attempting this rubbish! Haven't finished the book and never will

Don't waste your money, especially if your a fan of the series, this book will just irritate you
on 25 June 2010
Boring. I am amazed, how such brilliantly entertaining series could be made on the basis of such dull material. If you love the series - do not read the book. You will be bitterly disappointed. I could not read even half of it, although generally am very fond of reading (and I DO NOT mean fashion magazines).
on 3 December 2006
If you are expecting something identical to the TV series then you probably would be disappointed, as the show is clearly only based on it. Carrie and Big feature a lot but Miranda, Charlotte and Samantha only appear a handful of times. If anything, this book made me cringe and feel less positive about finding my Mr Right than before I picked it up! It made me glad I don't live in Manhattan! However, I still would recommend it, it is a good, light read and humorous to say the least. Just don't let it put you off men completely, I'm sure there are a few decent ones out there!!!
on 10 April 2001
As an avid fan of the extremely witty television series of the same name, Candace Bushnell's novel (which pre-dates the HBO show) has not quite lived up to my expectations. But I guess thats just the problem. I was expecting to find perfectly written central characters (ie. Carrie, Samantha, Miranda, Mr Big) painted on a backdrop of sassy city living and hijinks. But wait? Now I get it - the anonymous 1st person narrator is a journalist who hardly knows the beautiful people meandering through her newspaper column at parties and launches, right? And this column serves to show how shallow and primally urged people can be, right? Well then, in that case, this is a masterpiece! Call this if you will, a series of anecdotes about (probably) thinly disguised members of the celeb circuit in New York. Whilst Bushnell manages to remain coolly detached from descriptions of gross-out breast feeding (I won't spoil this bit for you - yuck!) , so do her informants remain cruelly detached from their sexual antics and emotional shennanigans. Its not a case of bad writing by any means (its pretty amusing in places and I like the narrative style alot), but I was pretty freaked out by the strangeness of the people no doubt caricatured within the book. I hope to God none of the characters are real living people, as they'd personify everything which is bad about the greed and needs of modern man/woman.
VINE VOICEon 27 April 2009
Having enjoyed the film and adored the series, I thought I was doing myself a serious disservice by not having read the book. How wrong I was. I did myself a disservice by picking it up. Sex and the City the book is not a patch on the TV series or film. In fact, if I'd read this first, I doubt very much I'd have bothered watching the series or the film, so I'm happy that I didn't.

A series of snippets about life in New York - the book is just a mish-mash. It doesn't flow particularly well, and it certainly doesn't hook you in. I lost count of the amount of times I abandoned the book in order to read something - anything - more interesting. Only pig-headedness and wanting to give a fair review made me finish. Sadly, it didn't get any better. There's nothing in the book to indicate just how fabulous the series was. None of the character development, lovability, and chemistry. In the book, the main characters Carrie, Samantha, Miranda and Charlotte are barely featured. It's just a smattering of dozens of minor characters, with a select few mentioned more often. You're not encouraged to care about the people and follow their lives in the way you are in the series. I was incredibly disappointed with this book.

If, like me, you did things the wrong way round and got hooked into the series and/or film first and are tempted to read the book, I really wouldn't. All it will do is waste some of your time, allow you to find out where the tiniest basis of the characters came from, and show you just how fabulous the writers of the TV show are. I didn't like this book one bit and was relieved to finish it.
on 25 July 2010
The praise for the book jacket were phenomenal, as I expected as I adored the TV series as well as the films. I was looking for more of the same through purchasing this book - sadly I was utterly disappointed.

What Marie Claire magazine called 'bite-sized chunks of irrepressible irreverence', I call disjointed, barely legible drivel that reads as the ramblings of a teenage, gum-chewing bobblehead. It was confusing: it didn't have the format of a newspaper column so it had me questioning if it was a work of fiction and who was narrating it. I enjoyed Bushnell's The Carrie Diaries (1) - The Carrie Diaries but this has turned me off her other offerings.

This book offeres a lot to be critqued, such as the under-developed characters that don't allow for the reader to connect to them, to the sheer lack of hooking material. The only people who'd read this book cover to cover are those like me: who simply have to finish a book, no matter how bad.

To put it simply, it's the worst book I've read in my entire life! It's nothing like the snippets of witty, insightful writing Carrie types in the show. So if you want more of Carrie, turn to 'The Carrie Diaries', NOT THIS!