Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 May 2003
Since I am a fan of the TV series, I treated myself to this book .....What a mistake !! The screenwriter is to be congratulated in making a silk purse from a sow's ear...the book is noticeably lacking in the wit and charm that pervades the series..Just a set of boring monologues ......
22 Comments| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 26 February 2003
I am a huge fan of the humour and insight shown on the TV series Sex and the City. Unfortunately this book is nothing like it - just an inane selection of conversations with no apparent point or punch-line.
This book is poorly written and lacks the likeable characters featured on the TV series.
The many Americanisms and references to people only Americans have heard of, also makes it a difficult read for people outside the US.
My advice. Don't bother.
on 1 December 2005
I read the reviews on amazon before buying this book, but thought it couldn't possibly be that bad, believe me it IS! It was awful, stick to the tv series
on 9 April 2010
How a series as wonderful as Sex and the City was spawned from this mediocre,boring book I have no idea.Candace Bushnell deserves credit for inventing Carrie Bradshaw and Mr.Big e.t.c but don't read this unless you've run out of paint to watch drying.
on 18 February 2015
I cannot wait to read. I am sure it will as glossy and fabulous as the TV series. x x :)
on 25 June 2010
Boring. I am amazed, how such brilliantly entertaining series could be made on the basis of such dull material. If you love the series - do not read the book. You will be bitterly disappointed. I could not read even half of it, although generally am very fond of reading (and I DO NOT mean fashion magazines).
on 7 August 2010
Terrible, TOTALLY unlinke the television characters- the book is purely about how amazing Carrie believes herself to be, and unlike the series, the debates and questions raised are boring, or irrelevance and totally shallow. Nothing features about her friendships- Charlotte and Miranda are vaguely referenced once or twice, whilst Samantha is almost disliked by Carrie. The writing and grammer is utterly APPAULING, did she not think it worthwhile getting an editor? Unclosed quotation marks etc. To sum up, RUBBISH.
on 7 January 2010
The book was easy to read, but do not expect a TV series on a paper. Many characters that appeared in the book did not existed in tv and vice versa. To tell you the truth I think that someone had a very good imagination to develop it in such a big way.
on 8 October 2013
I am half-way through this book and thoroughly enjoying it. To me it seems more insightful/honest than the TV series (which I also enjoy immensely, but in a different way). This book strikes a nerve and does not pull any punches. Do not expect the lovely comfort-blanket feeling of the series, but rather a cast of hardened characters stumbling through the city. At time it is quite seedy and you can almost taste the hangovers... Much, much better than the froth I was expecting, but also much darker.
on 12 September 2007
I must confess to never watching the TV show but being aware of the hype I was expecting this book to be witty, sassy and a lot of fun. I was disappointed on every level. The characterisations were very poor and I ended up not caring about any of them. There was no plot so nothing to drive you on to turn the page and most of the humour was unsubtle and unfunny. A waste of time and a really bad advert for the TV classic.