Format: Paperback|Change

on 27 March 2017
really love it
on 28 February 2003
I recently travelled to South Africa via New Zealand and it was in Auckland that I decided to bring an end to my own ignorance regarding South African politics.
This book is definately a "cannot-put-down" affair that is beautifully written in a simplistic yet very profound way, passing the task of conveying the trials and tribulations of apartheid with flying colours. What is more, you find yourself fully appreciating the enormity of this man's strength and commitment to his people and his country in the face of extreme oppression.
I cannot recommend this book highly enough - a wonderful read!
on 8 August 2013
If a man is to read One book in his entire lifetime , 'A Long Walk to Freedom' it should be... page by page I read and was convinced that some souls are sent to earth with unique understanding and strengths to inspire a world for decades to come... Nelson Mandela was unbreakable during the 27 years of imprisonment... the quotes that I read throughout the book inspired me and strengthened my faith on human abilities , God has blessed us with....
on 1 August 2013
This book followed onto volume one and I found it to be as good as the first volume. It was emotional and heart breaking but inspiring and educating. I enjoyed the book, it made me angry, sad and very frustrated at times. It brought out many emotions as a good book should do and it also taught me a lot about politics and how people behave.
on 30 June 2013
I feel honoured to have finally learned the details of the life of this legend of my lifetime. He, along with Gandhi and Martin Luther king Jr,has shaped the world I live in. I hope his path to freedom will release him soon and he can rest among the angels. May your God be with you Nelson Mandela
on 22 February 2013
Nelson Mandela could have written a memoire fuelled by the fires of a lifetime of bitterness. The measured reasonableness that pervades this book is an object lesson to less mature rabble-rousing leaders whose knives of self-justification seek only revenge among their hated adversaries. Hatred (born of fear) is not an emotion that this book describes except in the mindset of the South African whites raised to view the black majority as inferiors who had no right to expect universal franchise leading to control of the destiny.of all South Africans.

Nor is it a book written more in sorrow than in anger. The lawyer's mind rationalises each step in the long story of racial suppression and cruelty that characterised apartheid; the story of black resistence is set out with patience and towering maturity not least when describing the,at times, fragmented confusion caused by other black movements competing with the African National Congress (ANC) to lead the struggle. Mr Mandela allows us to share the hardships and indignities of his many years of imprisonment factually and with little rancour so that the petty cruelties of his jailers appear starkly and pitiably immature.

While he doesn't try to conceal the violence that his followers used to give power to their struggle (violence that he not only acknowledged but saw as unavoidable) Mr Mandela in all his determination, dignity and clarity of purpose shows how possible it was for a rational philosophy of equality among all men and women in South Africa to be achieved

I was sorry to reach the end of this inspirational book.
on 18 February 2011
A very easy read, which delves into the mind and actions of a man who cared not only for the dignity, respect and lives of his peoples, the oppressed, but also for the souls of the oppressors. The book ends with the line '..I can rest only for a moment, for with freedom comes responsilities, and I dare not linger, for my long walk is not yet ended.' This book has reminded/motivated me to not give up. Truly inspiring.
on 21 June 2013
For some reason every time I picked this book up I was totally immersed. An inspirational leader and human being.
on 29 March 2014
I have long wanted to read this book. But I am almost ashamed that it took the great man`s passing to prompt me to finally read it. Having said that I am so glad I did. The experience of his life is not one to be taken lightly. Reading this book I have realised just how much effect he had,not just on South Africa, but across the whole world. So much of what is written can be applied to today and there are many quotes that today's leaders would do well to take on board. Today's problems relate more to the religious divides than to the colour of one's skin but are just as relevant. The world has lost a great historical figure but his legacy lives on.
on 15 January 2013
Inspiring and humbling.
Having been to South Africa and talked to people about the Apartheid years and segregation it highlights the personal sacrifice made by these men for what they believed in.
I have also visited Robben Island and the guides were ex-prisoners - listen to their descriptions - they do not want you tears but it is hard not to shed them.
When the waiters and kitchen staff join together to sing their national anthem with tears of pride this demonstartes what Mandela achieved for South Africa and the human spirit.