Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 January 2014
Reading this book, and the first volume, has shown me my ignorance of what went on over all those years. What a very selfless man to South Africa Mr Mandela was. There are very few people who will ever sacrifice their whole life in the way he and some of his comrades did. I have always admired what I knew of Nelson Mandela - little did I know it was hardly even the tip of the iceberg! RIP Nelson Mandela, may the world be blessed with more people like you
on 21 June 2013
For some reason every time I picked this book up I was totally immersed. An inspirational leader and human being.
on 29 March 2014
I have long wanted to read this book. But I am almost ashamed that it took the great man`s passing to prompt me to finally read it. Having said that I am so glad I did. The experience of his life is not one to be taken lightly. Reading this book I have realised just how much effect he had,not just on South Africa, but across the whole world. So much of what is written can be applied to today and there are many quotes that today's leaders would do well to take on board. Today's problems relate more to the religious divides than to the colour of one's skin but are just as relevant. The world has lost a great historical figure but his legacy lives on.
on 10 April 2014
I can't believe that South Africa and the rest of the world thought their government had a right to treat their own people in this way and only a couple of decades ago. Shocking, thank you Nelson for sharing your story.
on 15 January 2013
Inspiring and humbling.
Having been to South Africa and talked to people about the Apartheid years and segregation it highlights the personal sacrifice made by these men for what they believed in.
I have also visited Robben Island and the guides were ex-prisoners - listen to their descriptions - they do not want you tears but it is hard not to shed them.
When the waiters and kitchen staff join together to sing their national anthem with tears of pride this demonstartes what Mandela achieved for South Africa and the human spirit.
on 18 February 2011
A very easy read, which delves into the mind and actions of a man who cared not only for the dignity, respect and lives of his peoples, the oppressed, but also for the souls of the oppressors. The book ends with the line '..I can rest only for a moment, for with freedom comes responsilities, and I dare not linger, for my long walk is not yet ended.' This book has reminded/motivated me to not give up. Truly inspiring.
on 3 January 2013
The amazing second part of Nelson Mandela's exploits as a freedom fighter. This books tells the story of his years of incarceration and the subsequent liberation of himself, his colleagues and his country. It is an easy read and is never dull even though you might think a description of over 27 years in jail might well be. It moves along at a good pace and doesn't get too bogged down in complex constitutional matters for example. A must-read.
on 6 February 2014
you must read it. I've grown as a result of reading it. You will grow by reading it too.,Not as. I have grown But as you need to grow.That's Mandela.It is beautifully written. Mandela & all the people he meets come fully to life.
on 12 May 2013
I felt as though I was there!!! Lots of humour and laughter !!!!!!!! yet serious and disturbing, I wanted more, more, more.. highly recommended , more.
on 9 May 2013
Amazing, brought tears to my eyes in places.

Not really a autobiography reader but learning more about south Africa's father was infactuating