Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 22 August 2017
I was bored and looking for the book equivalent of a chick flick to read on breaks at work. Still not sure how I managed to finish this one considering that for the first 60% nothing remotely interesting happens.
The characters are superficial and dull with it, there isn't a single one of them I formed any attachment to. The central character, Janey, is a manipulative, self-absorbed, social climber who learns absolutely nothing. Despite a hastily written in observation, from one of the few other characters who favours her, she remains unlikeable, much like the novel as a whole.
on 19 February 2017
I received a very old copy and the story isn't as gripping as one Fith avenue.
on 6 March 2008
Yes, the character is shallow and a little unlikeable, but I found this book extremely entertaining. It's sort of like watching the life of someone who truly thinks that life owes them, and because of that, she gets exactly what she wants. I like the little insight into the main character's background that we get half-way through the book that go someway toward explaining why she is who she is. It is purely and simply entertaining, in a voyeuristic, unreachable way.
on 11 September 2006
This book fascinated and entertained me. It's perfect for the beach or airport, as it doesn't require much reflection or work interlectually on the reader's part. You just sit back and enjoy.

I liked the story, the charaters and all the glamour. Janey's (the main character) view on everything is so different from my own. Some may find it appalling, naive and stupid. I found it entertaining. I've met people like Janey and always wanted to look inside their mind. Janey is indeed naive and self-obsessed, but she also has a strong belief in her own succes, despite of her flaws. I don't share her values, but I liked reading about it - widening my horizon.

I also like the many little stories that are intertwined. I like how the author picks up characters from earlier books and how you meet some of the characters from "Trading up" in her next book "Lipstick jungle" (which is also really good!).

It's an extra bonus that it takes place in NYC. I love NYC and enjoy reading about it. I'm fascinated by the place. The fancy restaurants where one table is more prestigous than the other, where you can meet famous people etc. I liked reading about small things that are important to people in a world far away from my own little Danish capital.
on 20 October 2012
I have read some truly awful books in my time, but never have I read a book that made you actively dislike every single character involved, quite as much as this one. Definitely not a keeper.
on 3 September 2016
I love this book. There is something about Janey that interests me, even though at first you would think she's just an airhead. I have to admit that I love books about the rich and glamorous, but usually they often disappoint and is just shallow. This book is clever, funny, glamorous and fast and I can really reccomend it if this is the kind of books you like. I've read all of Candace Bushnells books and this and One Fifth is my favourites.
on 19 September 2007
I brought Trading up on a whim before I went on a 4 hour Coach journey to Bristol. I wanted a book I could get lost in to help the journey go faster. Being a massive fan of Sex in the City I figured I couldn't go wrong with a book written by its creator. Luckily for me I picked right! Trading up is a glamorous tale sharply written by Candace Bushnell. It is so totally unbelievable and ridiculously far fetched to real life that you can't help but switch off your brain and enjoy! It's a fantastic trashy read with beautiful people, spite, revenge and glamour, and it totally beats a copy of heat magazine hands down for a long journey!
on 18 November 2003
The Sex and the City writter out does herself in this her 3rd book. the 4 blondes was fantastic and now Janey Wilcox, is back for more adevntures. the chaacter is amazing, you cant help but like her!
this book is clever and witty and hard to put down
my advise would be- read it!
on 27 August 2014
Modern life comedy, perfect holiday read - easy read with much character...as all Bushnell books are. Can't wait when next comes out
on 8 October 2011
The usual Candace Bushnell- far too long and not a right lot happens really. A few minor twists and turns at the end though.