Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 May 2017
This is a review of the 2013 edition of the fourth book of essays by American humorist David Sedaris, originally published in 2000.

It comprises a series of short, drily comic observations about his life and family, including his retired IBM engineer father, his foul-mouthed little brother, and his actress sister, Amy. The book is split into two sections, the first set largely in America, and the second focusing on a more settled life, following a move to France with his partner.

Though I was familiar with Sedaris' insouciantly camp tone of voice from his appearances on BBC radio, his past as a drug-addict, alcoholic and virtual down-and-out was unknown to me. He treats his self-degradation with as much waspish wit as he does his adventures on public transport, visiting the cinema, or, in a stand-out chapter, as a diner in fine restaurants (the kind whose menu includes "knuckle of flash-seared crappie served with a collar of chided ginger"). I could have done without the ruminations on the unflushable contents of a friend's toilet, however.

The writing is extremely witty, its focus on the inconsequential masking a deep passion for self-examination. There is a strange profundity in its very triviality.

There isn't a great deal of warmth or wisdom here, but it's an excellent read.
on 16 April 2017
Oh how I loved this book. David Sedaris and his adventures in learning to speak French made me cry with laughter, especially the terrifying teacher at the language classes. The way the other pupils rally round to help each other was particularly endearing. Read this if you have ever struggled to learn another language, or even if you haven't. It's classic Sedaris, enjoy!
on 15 May 2017
I bought this because I've listened to David Sedaris reading/presenting his essays and while listening to him makes me laugh out loud, reading makes me smile broadly. Great stories, many of which are quite thought provoking as well as funny. If you enjoy reading short stories as opposed to a full length novel then these are a great modern take on the humorous short story.
on 28 April 2017
The book arrived in time and in great condition. Personally I didn't enjoy reading it at all...I guess I must have a very different sense of humour. The chapters were all about different experiences in one person's life, all a bit sad if you ask me. It was well written, just didn't appeal!
on 14 July 2017
This is a real mix of interesting, boring, funny and often excruciating reminiscences. Can't wholeheartedly recommend and don't plan to read any more of his work - but there were a few funny bits and it's generally very well written.
on 4 June 2017
Love David Sidaris, seen him live and have the albums.

Picked this up on a daily deal. Very funny and you can just dip into it whenever you like for a guaranteed laugh.
on 20 May 2017
An engaging, easy, thought-provoking read. Yes, I'd recommend it, but I still prefer the radio talks, where the author's voice adds so much. A good one to take on holiday.
on 21 June 2012
It always mystifies me when people give poor or lukewarm reviews for David Sedaris' books. We were listening to one ( the audioversions are read by the author who does credit to his work, not always true) on a long drive through France where we also struggle to learn the language. Listening to the title story, I laughed so much that I got chest pain from not breathing and couldn't keep my eyes open as I have tears pouring out and thought I was going to drive off the motorway. so you have been warned. Even if there is one story which isn't your tasse du the, the next one will make you choke and gasp. In a good way
on 4 June 2017
David Sedaris is excellent and this book is brilliant ! He is very observant and brilliant at writing.
on 3 May 2017
Laugh out loud, comical twist of everyday life, especially his family. A character.