Customer reviews

Frost On My Moustache: The Arctic Exploits of a Lord and a Loafer
Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 23 February 2015
I first read French Revolutions for it's cycling context, and thoroughly enjoyed Tim Moore's insights and self deprecating style. I've now read most of his books, and would say this is probably his best. It works both as a fascinating travelogue full of interesting historical fact, but also as a very entertaining and funny account of a proper adventure. Highly recommended.
on 22 January 2014
Someone recommended this book to me so I bought it and it really did make me laugh out loud. I enjoyed it so much that I have since bought all of Tim Moore's other books and read them AND bought them as presents for friends (who also enjoyed them). Do read it!
on 1 November 2017
great book brilliant price swift delivery
on 6 July 2013
This was purchased as a present for my husbands birthday. I chose it as we had travelled around Iceland for our honeymoon 4 years ago. I think he enjoyed it!
on 1 February 2002
A dangerous book to read in public... you will get some odd looks. This is possibly the funniest book I have read. I can't think of one that has made me laugh more. The idea is very engaging... Tim Moore tries to follow in the footsteps of an eccentric adventurer and in so doing casts himself as the hopelessly inept traveller, who achieves his task more by luck than judgement. He makes himself the target of some extremely funny, humiliating and indeed hairy situations, griping and moaning self-pityingly all the way... and the result is hysterical. He has a great style too: easy to read... sometimes whimsical, sometimes gritty. Always entertaining. A genuine adventure.
on 4 April 2015
Excellent read
on 26 July 2014
Funny travel tales
VINE VOICEon 19 October 2001
In this and his later book "Continental Drifter", Tim Moore takes an old travelogue and broadly re-traces the journey. The original in this case is a Victorian account of a journey to Iceland, Norway and Spitzbergen (Letter from High Latitudes by Lord Dufferin - well worth a read too).
If you've ever enjoyed a Bill Bryson book you'll love this. He's clever without being a smartarse, funny without losing the book's focus, and researches his subject with real thoroughness, while still eagerly seizing on all cheap laughs wherever they can be found. What's more, unlike any of Bryson's books, he has a well-defined aim which he (mostly) sees right through to the end.
The descriptions of his destinations are wonderfully well-observed, helped by the huge changes of recent history. His reflections on Lord Dufferin himself are colourful and poignant. And the joke from which the title originates is a cracker.
on 6 December 2016
The second of his books I couldn't finish. Will not waste money and time on any more. More verbose than Stephen Fry without the humour. Laugh, I thought I'd never start
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 20 October 2016
Absolutely loved this book. So funny I was laughing out loud.