Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 February 2014
Another great read from Brookmyer. I love this author. His characters are strong, the humour and human observation are spot on. I sometimes find myself laughing at things I really should not. Get it, read it.
on 18 October 2001
This one is quite difficult to get into compared to his other novels, but is well worth sticking with. There are some real "laugh out loud" moments and as with his other books - would make a great film.
Read this book.
on 28 July 2001
This a great book. Everything about is class. The story is intricate, yet not overly complex. The characters have depth and charm. This is a very funny crime novel.
on 2 April 2010
While I did find this novel to be an entertaining read, it seemed a particularly odd one. As a sequel, it made the mandatory references to the previous novel but without going into more detail than was necessary (well, perhaps a little). A nice number of characters had returned, although some had a bigger and some a smaller role than I had expected, and the lives of some had moved off in directions I was not expecting.

This book is less macabre than the previous one, although it has its fair share of violence and killing, just without quite so much disgust induced. The new characters are well introduced and the plot itself sounds worryingly plausible.

The story does seem a little slow to get started though - we see maybe the first third of the book through a sequence of eyes, before jumping into those of the 'suspects' for much of the second third, and it is they who explain the back story, and it is only then that the reader begins to understand what has been happening. It's a little awkward to read because for quite a long time you are left in the dark and confused, until all is revealed to you, long before the characters themselves twig.

The book picks up towards the end, I found, with the action ramping up, the plot making sense, and the characters actually doing something pro-active. It's a good read though, and although I had some early doubts I'll definitely be returned to Brookmyre's world.
on 18 December 1999
SUPERB. That sums it up really. Having read "Quite Ugly One Morning", I moved on to this, which was to my delight, ten times as enjoyable. Some of the descriptions, particularly of "Spammy", and some of the comments about Scottish football had tears of laughter streaming down my face. I enjoyed this, and Brookmyre's other two novels, so much that I am studying them for my Certificate of Sixth Year Studies English dissertation. So, lets hope there is much more to come from this excellent author.
on 30 January 2011
Another superb outing for Brookmyre's character of choice, Jack Parlabane.

A great satire, wonderful insights into modern politician's alter egos through the eyes of a superbly imaginative novelist.

If you haven't yet discovered Brookmyre, its high time that you did!!!
on 11 February 2015
My first Christopher Brookmyre book and it was a belter. Relished every word. If you have bother with the accents read it fast,the way it's spoken. Cheers.
on 26 July 2013
As usual, very readable and entertaining with a good storyline .
I would recommend all of his books to anyone.
A really good read.
on 9 January 2014
Well worth a read to anybody who enjoys crime drama. Brilliantly written, laugh out loud funny. It's gotten me some funny looks in public!
on 17 August 2015
Magnificently acerbic crime thriller that combines a political edge with the best traditions of investigative journalism and murder.