Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 12 April 2017
It is a while since I read the first book in the trilogy of which this is the second. I remember being struck by the vivid imagery and other worldliness of "Onyx and Crake". This sadly fails in comparison. There are flourishes of that colour and imagination mainly in the later stages of the story where it begins to dovetail with its predecessor. Perhaps this is an inevitable consequence of where this fits in the timeline of the trilogy with its need to fill in some of the background to the "Waterless Flood". Also the urban setting doesn't aid the lyricism that the author does so well. I did enjoy the stories of the main female characters and the contrast between them was handled well. However I became increasingly frustrated by the interruptions of the "sermons" from Adam One which seemed like a clumsy device to fill in some of the background detail. And as for the "Hymns" they just annoyed me and after a few times to be honest I skipped over them.
I do have the final story of the trilogy downloaded but I'm going to leave it a while before I return to this world.
on 10 October 2013
I have reread this directly after reading Oryx and Crake and this has confirmed my view that while it has all the classic Atwood qualities, it lacks the originality and taut narrative structure of O & C. Adam's homilies and the hymns do drag at times, though you can see how cleverly Atwood uses them to reinforce her message. One problem is the number of coincidences needed to hold the plot together, another the rather drippy character of Ren - it's a relief when the voice shifts back to the wonderfully feisty Toby. The depiction of male violence is unsettling but Atwood is making the point that the brutality of the painballers and customers at Scales & Tails is just that of the Corps writ small. Reading the business pages of the papers tends to back her up on that one.
on 2 July 2017
This is the second book of the MaddAddam trilogy, and it's as good - and scary - as the first. Margaret Atwood really has a knock for the dystopian, she creates them believable and plausible. And her characters show a thorough understanding of human nature. Excellent.
on 12 May 2017
A great follow-up to Oryx and Crake - loved it.
on 23 March 2017
Sad terrible tragic and filled with hope and love. The most interesting and enjoyable as well as disturbing book I have read in a long time.
on 20 July 2017
As always, a thoroughly good read....impossible to put down. If only there was a tv series made, I'm sure it would be excellent. Now to start reading Margaret Atwood's Handmaids Tale.
on 5 March 2017
I recommend this trilogy to anyone who has eyes.
on 21 September 2014
This is the second time I have read 'The Year of the Flood' and I enjoyed it as much as I did the first time I read it.

Review from 2010:

‘The Year of the Flood’ can be read as a stand alone book but I would recommend reading ‘Oryx and Crake’ first because it’s a wonderful and interesting read.

‘The Year of the Flood’ starts from the end of Snowman's (Jimmy) story from ‘Oryx and Crake’ and the beginning of Ren and Toby's stories, women who have both survived the pandemic (also known as the ‘Waterless Flood’ by the God’s Gardeners), Ren is isolated in the Scales club she danced in and Toby in the AnooYoo Spa, its early days and both of them are surviving as much as they can, waiting to be rescued.

Ren and Toby know each other because they were both members of the God’s Gardeners, a group who believe that all life is sacred and use their skills and knowledge to grow their own food,make their own clothes and their own medicines. The story highlights Ren and Toby’s pasts leading up to the present.

At different times in their lives Ren and Toby meet Jimmy (Snowman) and Glenn (Crake), characters from ‘Oryx and Crake’, Ren becomes Jimmy’s girlfriend, Glenn assists a member of the God's Gardeners who is with Toby at the time. All of the characters have interacted at some point, which I thought made great reading because I had so many questions about Snowman, Crake and Oryx.

Margaret Atwood brings the characters to life with two strong female characters who are both survivors along with the rest of the God’s Gardeners. As the story progresses, things change within the group which eventually leads to the ‘Waterless Flood’.

‘The Year of the Flood’ is an excellent read and it does answer a lot of questions but it is very different from ‘Oryx and Crake’ (I know there is a risk of comparisons being made between the two books) I found there was more of a feeling of hope in ‘The Year of the Flood’, the God’s Gardeners had so much faith in what they did, which was refreshing, at times there was low points but they worked well, they highlighted how quickly everything changed for some of the characters.

The book delves further in the ideas of modified animals, food and so on, the God’s Gardeners have very strong ideas about that. The lifestyle of the God’s Gardeners is explored brilliantly, they are trying to make the world a better place, they are living what they feel is a good life but at the same time they are affected by the same frailties of human nature, love, loss, jealously, I felt it showed human nature excellently.

My favourite part was finding out what happened to Jimmy (Snowman), because I did worry about him (yes,sad but true) and you also found out other things and there is a lot of potential for a sequel.

It is a strong story about life and how to survive it, how to react with the situations surrounding you, finding out who you are as a person, no one is perfect and you do the best you can with what you have.

A great read.
on 12 May 2017
Like many of Margaret Atwood's books, this one leaves the reader wondering what happens next. You almost want to write the next chapter because there is an unfinished feel about it. It's readable, sometimes humorous and sometimes scary. I just wish this woman would finish her stories properly. I loved the 'hymns'
on 3 February 2011
I think Margaret Atwood's view of a dystopian future is unfortunately all too plausible. I liked the scene she sets where the disparate parts of society are divided and all governed by a huge conglomerate (whether openly or secretly). The way she structures these sections made me think a little of the feminist novels of the 1970s; where they reflected on the progress for women from the 1950s onwards. In TYotF there are the pampered women in the compound where money and appearance reign (1950s) and then the Gardeners where they live in a communal setting where appearance is less important (the huge covering grey clothes) and everyone is equal (in a 1970 feminist kinda way) But she doesn¡¦t pull any punches when describing the Gardeners commune; warts and all. I also find the idea of the Pleeblands very believable; human burgers etc. Don't we have something a kin to that now in McD's blue meat burgers?
I know she was being ironic/humorous when writing the Adam speeches and hymns but to be honest after a while I found myself skipping over the hymns as just too boring. I felt the last quarter of the book was a bit rushed and scrambled; not so well thought out. I thoroughly disliked the ending. For me it was too tidied up and happy. Not as satisfying as Oryx and Crake.