on 1 August 2012
I picked this book up on my Kindle after it was recommended to me. It tells of a married woman in America who moves to a new city for her husband, who is searching for new friends.

The book itself is a mix of anecdotes from her search and the science behind why we think and feel how we do when it comes to friendship. As a girl who has experienced living in new places - new countries - I could really relate to her, and was even encouraged by her search. Her story is easy to read and the science parts make up for the sometimes flat and repetitive tales of the people she meets.

Though it does get pretty repetitive after a while, I do recommend this book to anyone - man or woman - who would like to make new friends.
on 17 October 2013
I read this book at the perfect time; the difficulties and worries of not having friends in a (not totally) new city the author encountered match my own. the writing style is cute and funny enough to keep reading but fact based enough to help you to understand why finding friends is tough and what it takes to change things around...Im planning to start my own quest very soon!
on 19 October 2013
Well written, funny and intelligent. Reasonably well researched with what could potentially be a how to for those starting up someplace new.
on 27 August 2013
This book is a revelation. A look at friendship through experience and science explaining things I thought everyone but me knew. It's been a great talking piece with my friends and family as well as personally thought provoking for me

I can't recommend this book enough!
on 7 May 2013
Despite the fact that I really wanted to engage with and be inspired by this book it just didn't click with me in the way I had imagined it would.

The story of the author's successes and failures in the realms of "friend-dating" felt almost clinical and lacking in heart at times. While I could on occasion sympathise with her I don't feel that there was enough of her character and personality coming through in the book.

In some ways there was too little detail about the friend-dates (too little amusement at dates-gone-wrong and too little rejoicing at the ones which went right) which left the book lacking colour and made the friend-date formula feel quite repetitive. The feeling of repetition was going to be difficult to avoid as there was one "friend-date" for each week of the year but it didn't feel like the writer and/or her editor had worked hard enough to create the colour and interest which would have rendered this repetition less noticeable.

I don't know whether part of the problem was that this was originally a blog and the story hasn't been stitched together and fleshed out enough from the original posts. Either way, I didn't feel like I was rooting for her, which was a shame.

Okay but not amazing
on 10 August 2012
I think that this book would have been better as a short story/magazine article. The search for a 'BFF' becomes quite boring after the first few encounters and I struggled to finish it (in fact, failed!) I had hoped that it would have been more amusing and maybe if condensed this would have been the case.. I felt very sorry for the new husband who must have been incredibly patient and understanding. I don't believe that you can force a best friend relationship and I felt quite sad that she had to resort to these measures.

The ordering and delivery process from Amazon as always went very smoothly and efficiently.
on 17 July 2013
I bought it by mistake, confused with other title.
Anyway, I read it in full. There are just a few points to highlighted that I mark as it is the only thing to say.
Seems like an objective for a teenager with no experience in live, even she is married. So, she is not alone. Though does not seem to spend a lot of time with her husband given the purpose of finding a best friend forever.
I included 2 stars for these few notes relevant, but the book as a whole is not worth it, in terms of contents. I can not judge inhow good is written as I am not an expert.
I identified with this book to an almost embarrassing degree, as I suspect do a lot of women who read it. It's tough to make new friends, and it seems harder the older you get. It seems so easy when you're young; you catch another kid's eye in the playground or on the beach or in the park, and within minutes you're friends. At school and later at university so much of life is geared towards the social aspect; it's almost impossible to go through those experiences without making friends.

I've recently moved back home after a few years away, and I'll admit it, I'm lonely. I've lost touch with a lot of friends who live here, and a lot of others have moved away. I went to boarding school so I never really knew that many people in the immediate environment anyway. And now I've come home and I'm lonely. And this book I think has really inspired me to get out there and try and make those connections, instead of waiting for friendships to magically drop into my lap. As Rachel argues in this book, we don't judge people who go out and actively find dates, who speed-date or online-date. Actively looking for love is socially acceptable - why should actively looking for friendship be any different?

And I think she's right, most people are flattered when you show interest in them. Very few people would turn down an offer of friendship. It's just a matter of being the first to reach out. So dammit, that's what I plan to do. Starting today, I'm going to get back in touch with some of the friends I've lost touch with and make plans to meet up. Who knows what might happen after that?