on 12 August 2017
Bill Simmons is clearly a massive fan of NBA. His knowledge of the game past and present is encyclopaedic. I'm very new to the NBA and Basketball in general, having only got into it in the last couple of months. For beginners, the chapters on the history of the NBA are fantastic as is the Pyramid, an excellent place to start if you want to have a fairly quick overview of the games greats though time.

However.

Bill Simmons makes several references to women in this book and not one (other than those of his daughter) is a positive reference. The book really mires itself in a cascade of casual sexism. Whether it be the time he "pulled the goalie" on his wife, causing her to fall pregnant but hey what the hell he got a son out of it. Or maybe it's this belter: “Every time I watch Jason Kidd play, initially it’s like seeing a girl walk into a bar who’s just drop-dead gorgeous, but then when he throws up one of those bricks, it’s like the gorgeous girl taking off her jacket and you see she has tiny mosquito bites for t**s.”

Or maybe it's this: "Anytime “he smacked his wife, let’s get him the hell out of here” is the only reason for dealing one of the best top-ten point guards ever, I’m sorry, that’s a s****y reason. By the way, this footnote was written by Ike Turner." And yes I know this is a joke but I'm afraid in the context of this book it really falls flat.

These are just a few of the examples in this book but there are unfortunately so many more. Getting this book will depend if you fall into the non-pc brigade and can accept this as "banter". Once or twice I could have. Put it this way, I'd want my daughter to be able to pick up a book about the history of basketball and appreciate it. Moreover I'd want her to feel like this is a sport she can be involved in. Unfortunately I would not be able to give her this book, unless I was giving her a lesson in the type of man to avoid in life. A real shame as this book would have been 5 stars easily otherwise.
on 4 January 2015
This was a present for a basketball mad teen, so I can't personally review it. However I am assured that it's really good, and he has been glued to it since Christmas day so it seems to fit the bill!
on 6 April 2017
Love it
on 21 February 2013
Very well written and easy to read. It is funny and entertaining, however you still learn a lot about the NBA and the sport of basketball in general. I would recommend it to anyone who likes basketball. It is an extremely interesting reading.
on 4 July 2013
Cant put this book down , this is the stuff / intel /gossip about the NBA . You got to bear in mind here in the U.K. were very very very limited coverage of NBA games so to read about the madness / greatness by event broken down from a True Hoops about each generation of superstarsis a god send. I have read the Slam magazine since issue 3 which gives amazing insight to the stars past , present or future .

Only on page 150 and this book has already blown my mind , ( the Russell vs Chamberlain debate) all I can say is WOW !!!!!!
on 8 May 2013
Absolutely fantastic. Could read this book over and over again. So much detail, as being a basketball fan for just over 10 years I didn't truly appreciate how many great basketball players there have been. A great read and well worth buying!
on 15 March 2014
Dont read this book if you dont love NBA basketball because it is full of history, what ifs, player rankings, team rankings and some funny jokes about players and teams.

But i do love those things so i am happy :)
VINE VOICEon 15 September 2013
Basketball nut Simmons basically packs every bar room argument, every eternal who-was-better debate and creates the most definitive all-time best player list all to a soundtrack of wisecracks, pop-culture references, mind-blowing detail, backed by the sports smarts of a man who has mined every ounce of material to back his theories up.

For someone who followed the NBA from afar, it was like a crash course in the sport from its inception and what it meant culturally to the US. I literally devoured it.

800+ pages, and yet soon as I'd finished, i started reading it again.
on 17 February 2014
This book is informative and funny. I've mainly been reading it while commenting to work and my fellow passengers have been subjected to my laughing out loud on many many occasions.
I didn't grow up watching basketball as it wasn't really popular in the UK when I was growing up (you could be forgiven for thinking that not much has changed), so for me this book is a great trip through a history I didn't get to experience mixed with bits of nba history I have vague knowledge of.

If you like basketball and want to know more about nba history this is a great book.
on 6 June 2014
After coming across Bill Simmons via his chats with Jalen Rose and becoming addicted to his pod-casts I decided to take the plunge and spend some cash on the book. As an avid basketball fan from Scotland this is great. There is not too much to access locally so this is a massive hole plugged. It is funny and and has great analysis of some the best basketball careers past and present. The book also made me realise about the what ifs of basketball. For this just see Walton.

Thanks Bill