Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 3 October 2010
This is the first book of a new series.

Lara knows when you are lying, if you are joking it is uncomfortable for her. She leads an undemanding life as possible, working as a talented tailor, she can see the truth of a outfit & uses her skills to dress people beautifully. Lara is a little timid & has few friends. Her staunch best friend Kelly is always trying to get Lara to come out of her shell. She pushes the issue when she see the local weather man David in the street with his large cameraman companion & inviegles a dinner date with them. Even though they never mentioned a time to meet, David finds where she works & asks for her help, his story seems to be too incredible, but she can hear the truth of his words.

Soon she finds herself among intractable enemies & fighting for her life. I won't say anymore, but needless to say it is well written & the premise clever & interesting. Lara gathers strength throughout the book & it did keep my attention. The only thing I will say is I would of liked CEM to nurture Davids characters more & to give him more depth, he comes across really one dimensional & a little selfish, not likeable at all. His relationship with Lara is really wishy washy.

It's a light fantasy story I would recommend this to readers who like a book that keeps your interest & is an easy read, theres nothing really nasty in it & I would be quite happy for a thirteen years upwards to read it.

I will warn you though the book cuts off abruptly & you will have to wait till the next one to see what happens, it was very frustrating, even though it is 320 pages long, I felt that I had only read half a book, otherwise would of given it a 4 stars.
on 11 August 2011
Truth Seeker by C E Murphy

I will start by saying I absolutely love the Walker Papers series, and I have read the 1st of the Negotiator Trilogy, and looking forward to the next 2, which I have in the TBR pile, so I started this book with anticipation.

I admit that at the beginning I was almost going to give up as I have so many books in the TBR pile and in my Kindle, but I decided to keep on with it. The basic story is that Lara, who lives in Boston and,is a quiet, intense sort of person, is out with her friend Kelly, who is quite extrovert plus determined to get Lara to meet men. They bump into a local TV news weather man, along with his camera man and Kelly organises that they all meet later. We also discover that Lara has an ability to know when anyone is not telling the truth, she senses lies, also she can only tell the truth.

They go out for dinner and Lara is aware that although the weatherman, David, is telling the truth, there is something not quite right about him. Well there is, he is a fairy and is accused of murdering his brother in their own world, The Barrow-Land. He has been looking for a Truth Seeker to take home to help him discover what really happened to his brother. Having observed Lara he knows that she is a Truth Seeker and he needs her help, desperately.

Our heroine goes back to the Barrow- Lands with David to try and help him prove his innocence, and she finds lots to deal with there, from attacking bat like creatures, to a blind old soothsayer, to learning more about her skills, and eventually ending up in a war and captured by the enemy!

Our Lara manages to get back to Earth where she finds an another fine mess to try and sort out, she has been away for a day or so, yet on Earth she has been missing for 17 months! Also some of the creatures she met in the Barrow-lands arrive here too! Much action as we get near the finale, all good stuff, then find.......to be continued in the next, and last book.

I have the book on my wish list and will be buying it as soon as it is released!! This was an easy enjoyable read, my problem at the start, with hind sight, I realise was simply because I wanted it to be a Walker Papers book
on 21 January 2013
fast paced and fun - looking forward to reading the concluding part already. CE can't write new books fast enough for me!
on 6 August 2011
This book was fantastic. I read it in one sitting Am very diasappointed at how it ended thougha nd can't wait for the next instalment.