Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 21 April 2009
If you like Hannah Howell's Highland series then you will like this. If anything this has more historical content than in most of Howell's books, which makes it more interesting.

Set in Scotland 1608, Duncan Campbell has returned to the Highlands after ten years in Ireland, to clear his name of a crime he didn't commit. He is drawn again to Jeannie Gordon, the girl he loved and who pledged him her love only to seemingly betray him.

Duncan is the illegitimate son of a Highland chieftan, who acknowledges and loves him and is the cousin of the Earl of Argyle who made him his captain of guard, before Duncan seemingly betrayed his father, the King and Argyle.

No longer a girl, but a woman with secrets, Jeannie believes that Duncan betrayed her and she can't forgive his mistrust of her, but neither can she turn him in and sign his death warrant. Caught up in a web of murder and intrigue, the pair fight to prove Duncan's innocence.

This is the Scotland of James I of England/James VI of Scotland. McCarty uses some real characters sprinkled amongst the fictional ones and uses real events. She explains the history and time lines in the back of the book.

I personally found this book more interesting than many of Howell's books, which tend to fall into the category of read one and you've probably read most, as far as I'm concerned. However, that is just my personal opinion.

Enjoyable and interesting story.
on 7 December 2013
Great way to finish the series is to conclude the story of Duncan Dub - author was teasing us with hints of his ill faith throughout previous two books of series...I was itching (!!!) to start reading it...
Didn't disappoint at all!
Again, another great read from Monica McCarty...
Cannot wait for more...
on 2 June 2010
Loved this book. Duncan Campbell is the eldest brother of Jamie Campbell 'Highland Warrior'. Wrongly accused of betrayal he returns to Scotland to clear his name, meeting again the girl he once loved who was instrumental in his downfall..... Great stuff. I love Monica McCarty's historical facts. I should have read her books at school it would have given me a reason to enjoy history.
on 9 October 2012
Monica McCarty has to be one of the most inconsistent writers I've ever encountered. Out of the six or so of her Highlander books that I've read so far, I've rated them anywhere from 4.5 stars to 1.5 stars. Some books have seen me so invested in the romance, that happy tears were streaming down my face as I read the final pages. Others have been tedious and left me completely unaffected.

This one falls somewhere in the middle.

I was quite keen to read this instalment to find out the full story behind Duncan Dubh's treason at long last, since it's been mentioned in the other books of the trilogy several times. The story opens with quite a bang in the present--albeit still in the 17th century--day, then it takes us back the 10 years to when the hero and heroine, Duncan and Jeannie, met and fell in love originally, before the alleged betrayal/treason nastiness all happened, causing Duncan to flee to Ireland for a decade or else face the hangman's noose. So it started very well, and I rather liked the couple at the beginning; they were very sweet together and had some great sensual scenes and some nice angst and drama. It was once we returned to present day that I found myself falling out of love with the story.

One of the main reasons I don't like romances featuring ex lovers, is the inherent bitterness they always bring with them. In this case, I never felt like Duncan and Jeannie truly got back that magic they'd had when they first met. There was just too much water under the bridge.

The next problem was that the plot just seemed to stop for about a hundred pages or so while they dithered about deciding whether or not to trust each other again. It was annoying to the nth degree to watch them get close and then retreat into distrust again, a cycle which was then repeated ad nauseam. I really think the book could have been a good hundred pages shorter and lost a lot of this padding and filler section. I realise it's the finale of the trilogy, and the one we've all been waiting for, but making it longer doesn't automatically make it more 'epic'.

It perhaps wouldn't have been quite as tiresome if we, as readers, didn't already know everything that was going on. We knew Jeannie's secret, we knew about Duncan's innocence, and we knew who the real villain was. It was just a matter of waiting for the characters to catch up.

All together, I'm glad I read it and that I've completed the trilogy, but it wasn't one of McCarty's best efforts.

3 Stars ★★★
on 3 September 2013
Loved it loved it loved it. A wonderful fitting end to technically six books. Loved them all. This author is brilliant not repetitive at all. Her books are wonderful everything you want from an highland romance.What a find and I am so happy I found this wonderful author. Roll on her next book A*A*A*
on 24 June 2014
arrived in good condition, nice read, not a book to send you to sleep