on 29 August 2017
A rather strange obsession with lesbians and homosexuals does much to ruin what could have been a great book. One or two partnerships, yes perhaps, and such bonds have made for some wonderful sidelines/added tales in previous books, but not an entire book devoted to women riding blues and greens, with just the stray brown or bronze thrown in for good measure, and by the time I had sorted through all those whose names began with J or X or Z I was thoroughly confused about who fancied whom and which sex they were and if they had gone back in time, or forward, or both. Todd is not, and never will be, as good a writer as his mother was.
on 13 July 2012
This book feels as though Todd has a lot of ideas and plot material, but he has used it up in a profligate way, without adding enough detail to make a good book. Anne (R.I.P) tended to take relatively few characters and a simple plot and develop them well. This book contains a vast number of players with a large plot, but little time to get to know them. There's enough material here to cover three books. I'm not an author and have difficulty writing a coherent letter to my mum, but maybe Todd should look at the way David Weber or L. E. Modesitt Jr. can fill a story in with detail instead of using it all up too soon and confusing the readers.

Sorry Todd, You've got an impossible standard to live up to.
11 Comment| 24 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 1 October 2016
This book was a wonderful return to the Pern I know and love. Lessa's son F'lessan made a captivating central character. I wonder if a lot of the negative reviews are actually for Sky Dragons, Amazon has listed this as another edition of Skies of Pern rather than a completely different book. I would recommend this book to any fan of the 9th pass series.
on 23 November 2012
I'm sorry and perhaps I'm a traditionalist but Todd McCaffrey isn't his mother.

Anne McCaffrey's voice and style are so different than Todd's and I find Todd's grates on me. I don't like his character development,and I find his plots just a re-gigging or an amalgamation of the orginals. I have been seduced into buying the dragon books because I've loved them for years, but unless Todd finds a different style I'm giving up.
on 10 July 2012
Time has moved on since the dragon's heroic actions in All the Weyrs of Pern but Thread still falls as the Pass is not yet over. With the end in sight dragon riders need to think about their future After. In the meantime a further menace appears in the skies and on the ground there are threats from those who do not comprehend the advances wrought.
Great to still have Lessa and F'lar together with other familiar friends from earlier books. Their son F'lessan with bronze Golanth is the hero here but much suffering is in store for them both.
Loose ends at the finish of the book lead one to wonder what might be in store After, if the author had been able to complete her saga.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 30 August 2017
I did not find this book up to the brilliant standard of the 'dragon books' but it was an okay' read. The excellence of the earlier books is becoming more and more difficult to reproduce but I will continue to read, and enjoy, any of the 'Pern' books in the collection.
on 13 February 2017
Love this book, Having these books on kindle is fantastic. I had read them as a teenager and still love her work now. Well worth reread
on 17 January 2018
Wonderful series of books.
on 10 June 2015
I was so disappointed - who gave this book 4 stars! it is awful. Badly written, disjointed, confusing. I love the Pern books by Anne McCaffrey but these by Todd are just awful and would never have been published if he hadn't traded on his mother's work. It would be better to never have another Pern book than to spoil the series like this.
on 22 June 2017
Love this series of books. Quality was great and arrived on time