Customer reviews

on 1 August 2017
This could have been a cracking good read if the author had not allowed plot holes just to hype the cliff edge.
It's fine that the ship and crew escapes with seconds to spare, but why didn't they just abandon ship and go with the rest of the fleet.
Really disappointed, spoiled the whole book for me.
Young junior officer with distinguished military parents has to prove himself on his first posting...

I've read loads with almost the same plot, but the author manages to avoid the obvious re-tread and does bring something new to this. The young hero is engaging and the action thick and fast, supported by the dubious politics of the bad guys.

An entertaining, if not stretching, read and I shall buy the follow up!
on 10 August 2011
Well its no Moon, McCaffrey or Bujold. More similar to de Pima's 'Galaxy Unknown' series(though perhaps more pages, detail and realism per volume):

Keeps the pages turning and enough depth to get you interested but alot of skimming on detail and 2-D characterisation. Fun Young Adult stuff, looks like written in more of a hurry than the 'Greats'.

I enjoyed it but hesisitate to invest £4/book, in a long series of this quality.

Young ensign following in parents footsteps, old enemies and against the odds, last officer left alive keeps the (complex-but realistic) mission going. It all hangs together well, Helfort is a nice character, but everyone else is a sketch.
on 23 June 2010
As a prior reviewer commented that the scion of a great house widely respected by their peers forges a life in the service isn't a new idea or indeed a twist upon an old one. But I enjoyed it as well written piece of space opera with stock baddies in the form of a bad egg at the academy and a quasi-religious fundamentalist rogue state. I liked it so much I ordered the next two and put a pre-order in for the fourth. There's a lot of good stuff out there at the moment for space opera/Military science fiction buff and if like a prior reviewer you enjoyed the Jason Wander series and Honor Harrington etc you'll take to this too.
on 18 November 2008
I quite liked this book, admittingly the plot is not overly original.

I had a distinct cold-war feeling when reading the book. The bad guys are a mix between cold-war badies and religious fundamentalists. An engaging and pleasant read. I did buy the follow-up (Battle of the Hammer Worlds) as well and I'm looking forward to part 3.
on 4 January 2010
I wouldn't ever say that the action came thick and fast in this book (as per another review) as the battle doesn't actually start until page 277 of 372. The book lacked action for the first two thirds and was in all honesty hard work getting there.
At page 278 I was going to give it one star but the run home was worth it and left you with a contented feeling. Stirring patriotic stuff, if we were Feds, but I dont think I'll be going for the second book in a hurry.
The Jason Wander series were better than this.
on 22 July 2010
A good read, the three books published so far have kept me entertained, not great, the pace of the action keeps the interest
but the characterization is a bit weak. Nevertheless I look forward to the next installment book 4 The Battle for Commitment Plannet.
on 22 September 2010
As the first book in the series it appears that I will need to purchase the rest! I don't think its worth saying more.