on 3 April 2008
I am not quite sure how to start this review. This is a graphic novel told using pictures like a comic story book. Ok if you like this sort of thing. The illustrations are excellent but the story is lacking something probably because the Shannara books are so indepth and this seems to start in the middle of the story and doesn't seem to quite work as another Shannara story. I would describe this as a short story it only took me about 1 hour to read. There are some interesting bits at the end of the book about how the book came about and was made and some of the early artist's sketches. Worth reading if you are a big Shannara fan and wonder what the characters like Allanon look like in graphic pictures. Should be read after The Wishsong of Shannara.
on 8 April 2008
Up front, I am a die hard Terry Brooks fan, but this did not work for me at all. I have the greatest admiration for Terry trying new things, although, I suspect, he was not the driving force behind this particular project. Graphics fabulous, story line good, but this is not Terry Brooks at his best, wrong medium. His fans are probably used to and love his in depth books, with emotion, heroic characters, complex plots,etc., etc.

To me, this was a Chinese take-away, eat one and you want another an hour later.

If Terry choses to do another graphic novel, like most fans, I will probably buy it, if only for interest sake.

Downside to this graphic novel, is that I now have a pictorial image of Slanter, Cogline, the Rets and Whisper, etc., but I will try to block this out, as it does not co-incide with my mental images.

However, if this book introduces a new audience to the wonderous World of TB, then the whole exercise will have been worth it.

I am really looking forward to reading the Gypsy Morph and, as Terry has said before, the book is better than the film and now the graphic novel.

Regards.

Paul
on 28 October 2008
I have always said that a book is never finished, each person who reads it finishes it with their own imagination.

I bought this book believing it to be another terry brooks masterpiece, what I got was a cheap comic. If I wanted comics I would go get the Beano or Dandy, never been in to manga, never will. I had an image in my mind of what I believed rets, slanter, Brin and Jair, even paranor, oh my beautiful paranor, gone replaced by barbies castle.

Terry, mate, buddy, you blew it with this one, please never ever ever evr do this to us again.

I started and finished this book during my lunch hour today, I was left wishing I had brought the first Landover novel to work to start during the rest of my lunch.

Sadly it will cost me more to return this than to keep it as an item with which I can frame it and say "I now understand Terrys' theme, THE FOLLY OF MAN" sometimes an idea starts in your head and should stay there.
on 19 April 2008
When i received the book i was surprised it was a comic book. Still being a die hard TB fan read it anyway,only took half an hour but thought it captured Terrys wonderful imagination perfectly. Read other reviews and people dont understand Terry has to write in detail because he does'nt have pictures to show detail. Story just needed to be longer though. Still Terrys work needs capturing by P Jackson in a film Elfstones would be amazing.Keep on Terry all your work is addictive
on 4 April 2008
I am not at all into comic books and when I ordered it, assumed it was a normal novel. I returned it immediately. Only order if you want to read a comic type book!! Drawings are good at the back though!
on 10 April 2008
I'd just like to echo other reviews as I too was disappointed when the book arrived to find that it was a graphic novel. Not that I'm against graphic novels but it wasn't what I was led to expect. It wasn't advertised as such, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. I returned it immediately.
on 24 May 2008
I am a great fan of Terry Brookes and have every book he has written, so when I saw this book advertised I bought it immediately. When I opened it and saw it was a grahic novel I was very disappointed and would not have bought it if I had known. When you see a book written by Terry Brookes you expect to get a proper book not a comic. As I have said I have all of Terrys books and read them over and over again but this comic will not be part of my collection for long.

Alan Taylor.
on 24 February 2010
Compared to Brooks' other Shannara books this addition does not add anything new or exiting. The storyline is flimsy, it does not add anything worthwile to the existing Shannara world.
The character drawing is inconsistent and breaks up the reading speed (and pleasure).
on 10 April 2008
I also am an avid Terry Brooks fan, and I too was disappointed when the book arrived to find that it was a comic book. I returned it immediately.
on 14 December 2012
Its nice to see Terry Brooks writing about the wonderful world he created. The world and characters of Shannara have been a joy
to read and long may it continue.