on 8 October 2014
I have been a fan of fantasy novels for many years and as such they all blur into one over the years, its very difficult to find something new that doesn't feel like parts of other books already read.
Richard Morgan has had a good go though. Been a fan of his other novels so was intrigued to see what he would do in a fantasy setting.
Its dark, if you are looking for a jolly quest forget this book its not for you. I found it a real page turner, the lead character Ringel is a delight. Smug arrogant but with the ability to back it up, and did I mention homosexual, this is central to his character as it defines the way he views to world.
The other main characters Egar and Archeth play a minor roll in this first novel (yes its another trilogy) but even so I found them engaging and wanted to know more about them and how they fit in.
Cant wait for the rest.
on 6 January 2016
Gritty fantasy, written in what I've come to realise is Richard Morgan's unique, fast paced, slap you in the face with a nasty (fictional but totally imaginable) reality. I really like this guy's books. This is (as far as I'm aware) his first forray into fantasy, and sometimes the finer details of the plot seem to twist away from understanding. If you're like me and will read books over and over again, you will pick up on anything you missed before. It's totally worth the re read. You gotta read all three to get some of the answers...which is totally worth it. For a fantasy book it hits pretty close to home in how relatable the characters are.
on 8 December 2014
Ignore the negative reviews, this is superior stuff (as is the rest of the series as it happens).
on 10 December 2016
Really loved Richard Morgans SF writing so thought I would give this a go. Wasn't disappointed - great writing, interesting characters and a story that made you care. It is also an added bonus that the book was a normal length...
on 2 August 2017
Brilliant, gritty fantasy with just a touch of sci-fi to give the enemy that extra bit of 'shiver down the spine' factor. One of the best books I've read this year, and I've read a lot!
on 3 June 2014
After reading reviews of this I decided to give it a go, it is a little over the top at times but that's what gives it it's distinct flavour I'm looking forward to reading more
on 8 November 2017
Dark, brilliantly realised world that captured me from the start. If you like Abacrombie you’ll like this. Well worth your time.
on 21 August 2015
Great fantastic dark fantasy with a complex and fasincating hero.
on 9 April 2015
Because of the gap between this and book 2 I got a bit lost during The Cold Commands. With another long wait for The Dark Defiles, I decided on a re-read, and I'm glad I did. The Steel Remains is still a great, great read.
on 15 September 2015
A well written novel with good description and pace but also suitably lacking in cliches and unnecessary dialogue. I'd recommend this as a read for those who enjoy a fiction novel with a gay lead character but with a real story line.