Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now DIYED Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now Shop now

on 11 June 1999
It does not matter if you are a couch potato or a 30-mile a week runner looking for a cross training exercise, this book is for you! As a runner this book helped me dispel the illusion most runners have and that is this: Walking is for wimps and old people. I gave it a try. I figured if the author, a 60 year plus man, could walk 5 miles in 55 minutes, a runner, like me, should be able to do it too. After mile 3 (when I had to stop) I knew I had found the perfect cross training exercise. ALL the benefits of running with out injury! This book explains that walking is actually the BEST excercise that you can do and gives many examples of hard data to back up this claim. It will teach you techniques every walker at every level should know. If you are serious about staying fit or getting fit, buy this book! The only bad thing I have to say about this book is this: You can tell from the authors tone in writing that he has been on a quest to prove that walking is the best, most natural, exercise the human body can do. That walking is for everybody, not just old men and women. So why then does the cover of the book have a picture of an older man and a woman? I would have added a picture of a young man doing a good walking workout as well.....
on 10 October 1998
Two months ago, I started walking an hour each day. I was starting to experience some discomfort, but didn't want to give up. In layman's terms, Mr. Casey explained what was I was doing wrong & how to correct it. I've lost 15 pounds so far, feel great & plan on walking the rest of my life!
I've tried running, jogging, stair-stepping, stationary bicycles, and aerobic dancing (both high- & low-impact). Chapter 7 compares walking to all the other popular forms of exercise. The comparisons are based on medical research & common sense. If you are short on time, read this chapter. I bet you find time to read the rest of the book AFTER you read this one chapter.
Mr. Casey has regular walking clinics through the Cooper Wellness Program & is the walking consultant for NaturalSport walking shoes.
on 18 July 1998
Before reading this book, I thought I knew everything about walking. I bought it because I browse Amazon by "exercise", and was searching information to help me to lose weight. After reading it, I can truly say that Casey Meyers changed my lifestyle and walking is THE exercise for someone that is looking for a healthier life. By the way, following Mr. Meyers advises I lost 48lbs in just three months.
11 Comment| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 4 January 2014
I went through a phase of wanting to get back into exercise but I've never been good at jogging. I bought this book and a pedometer to try to get into it. I have left the book half way through. I get the concept that running is bad for your joints and walking is better, the author really doesn't have to ram it down your throat. You could skip the first 3 chapters I think. I will pick it up again when the weather improves but for now I have some of the concepts still in my head. A good intro for beginners.
on 1 June 1999
A compellation of personal stories that some times seems to be in infomercial for the shoe com-pany he worked for, it never the less contains the clearest explanation of how to walk fast that I have seen. It spends too much time promoting the benefits of walking and otherwise preaching to the choir, but also contains everything you need to know about walking, from stretching to exercises to bio-mechanics to common mistakes. On this topic there are newer books and shorter books, but not better books.
on 24 August 2011
I love this book. I'm 32yrs, reasonable fit and box as a hobby. Recently found out that I have high-normal blood pressure and based on family history my doc wanted to put me on hypertension meds immediatly. This book has inspired me to try and take control of my health. Casey Meyers gives more than 100% on walking, it is a very comprehensive book. I have officially gone over to the other side: walking is better than running, jogging, stair climbing gimmicks!! I've bought a pedometer and I'm actually walking every morning. I love it.
on 26 May 2013
This is an excellent book to encourage healthy exercise by walking. Full of tips, science, personal knowledge and stories, I really enjoyed reading it - and I have changed my exercise in the gym accordingly. Thoroughly enjoy walking smartly on the treadmill - and feel much safer : I have osteoporosis and had some concern lest I injure myself with high impact running. This is a great alternative. Often I give my books away when I've finished, but this is staying on the shelf to refer to and re-read perhaps.
on 6 December 2014
I've just taken up walking. I have been a fat, lazy person for many years, sitting in front of my computer getting fatter and lazier. Then I recently had a minor stroke, and wow, that sorted out my head in a hurry.
Casey Meyers is an inspiration. He is fifteen years older than I, has two 'new' knees, and can walk faster than I can ever hope to run. This book is what really started me off on my road to getting my health back. It covers every aspect of walking, in an easy to read and understand, well written book. Very much along the lines of the best selling Ken Cooper (They are friends and colleagues).
I would say, If you want to take up any aspect of walking (and I would recommend you do), this book is for you. I know anyone can walk - I've been doing it for 60 odd years, but I have learnt so much from this book.
I must admit I am surprised at how interesting I found it to read. (and I normally like Jack Higgins books).
No matter if you are young or old, fat or thin, healthy or unhealthy this book will set you on the right road to walking back your health.
on 18 September 2011
I love to hear old stories from my grandparents and I love how much life they have to talk about, but in a walking book I wanted to know specific things such as how to breath, suggestions on warm-ups and a basic reference guide to anything I may find I'm having problems with.

this is absolutely a book written by a lovely older man with a lot of knowledge, but it needed some serious editing, the amount of paragraphs and even pages I skipped because he was talking about some doctor and some study somewhere.
the thing is if I'm reading the book and I like what i'm hearing I'm going to believe it without him having to justify himself with chapters about scientific study, (give me a page on that and then tell me what to do!)

still a brilliant book for those of you who are interested in that kind of thing, but not a good guide just for someone who does a lot of walking and has problem areas that they want answers to.
on 7 June 2012
I have not yet read all of this book due to time constraints but what I have read so far is extremely informative and written in a style that is entertaining, by someone even older than me, which gives me hope that I can emulate some of his success. It may be a bit too detailed for some but as one who likes to know all about anything I tackle it is ideal.