Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Pre-order now Shop now

on 18 June 1999
I really really REALLY liked this book. Lorna Landvik is incredibly funny and talented and this book is her monument. I loved her quirky and endearing characters, especially Dick and Darcy--they cracked me up! YOUR OASIS was a better read for me than PATTY JANE, although the latter was a great book as well. I can't wait for her next release in September. I will be the first in line.
on 13 May 1999
Received this book from my daughter on Mother's Day---she loves reading as much as I. This book was enchanting, captivating and difficult to put down! The characters are so real and the story is something everyone with a family can relate to. I would highly recommend it to everyone! Also read "Patty Jane's House of Curl" and loved that, too. Lorna Landvik, keep it coming!!
on 19 March 1998
I gave this a 9 only because Patty Jane's House of Curl was such a superlative 10 and hard to beat. BiDi and Devera are such delightful sparring partners and close friends. Unlike so many novels of women friends, this one explores the depth of the male characters and their feelings, the children and their lives without letting the women either become an afterthought or the only focus of the story. Like life, the meaning behind events have many facets and many impacts on all involved. Landvik captures this with humor, rapier-sharp wit, and yet a seriousness that doesn't overwhelm but keeps the story real. Whatever she writes, I will read.
on 16 February 1999
It takes someone with a great ear for voices to write a novel from five different perspectives. Finding one narrative voice, and a convincing and "true" narrative voice, at that, is difficult enough. To be able to carry off five is, well, quite an accomplishment. And in hearing (reading) these convincing voices, one realizes how much of life is truly subjective, and people are products of their perceptions.
on 15 October 1998
I picked this up for a book group and was delighted. I have not yet read Patty Jane's House of Curl but definitely will after this warm and genuine book. The story line is sparse but the characters draw you into the story. I loved the Sergio character and especially appreciated how each character spoke from their own unique perspective. I didn't want the book to end. An excellent read that I would highly recommend.
on 16 February 1999
After reading Patty Jane's House of Curl which was an excellent book, this follow-up effort seems just that - a follow-up. The narrative changes point of view from chapter to chapter, and all the characters seem one dimensional (eg.,BiDi is vain, Sergio is sweet, Franny is tough etc). Unlike Patty Jane, I could easily see where each plot line was headed. Hope the next book is more like the the House of Curl.
on 16 October 2010
I love Lorna Landvik books - this one was a little more difficult to get into as each chapter is set out as a character leading it - it took a few chapters to settle into who is married to who and who's child is who's etc. However, once settled in I LOVED the ride - fantastic book!
on 29 March 1999
You can find a little of yourself in each of the characters in this book. The book written from the perspective of several characters, is refreshing.
on 11 June 1999
I tried to get into the lives of these people but found the book rather choppy and hard to follow .I liked Patty Janes house of curl much better