Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

I have been reading Jordan's books for over a decade, and I keep coming back despite troubling problems with each book. WHY? Because she creates such strong, intriguing characters. Often, they are infuriating, but I figure she is pushing the right buttons in me to provoke such a response. Even when they are infuriating, I long remember them after I put them down.
This book - the third installment in Jordan's Regency era Notorious series - has another of the arrogant alpha males, Lucian Tremayne, Earl of Wycliff. He is a spy for the English government. He comes upon comes across Brynn Caldwell as she is gets out of the water after swimming. He immediately proposes (o-kay) but Brynn says no, that she - and all the women of her family are curse. The curse is a they lure men to love them to their death - sort of like the Leannan Si of Ireland.
Well, a wee curse is nothing to a master spy, so Lucian does not let this stop his pursuit. He finally convinces Brynn to marry him. This creates troubles as Brynn and her family have been smuggling to make ends meet,and Lucian has been sent their to stop the flow of gold going to France. Despite a rocky start to their marriage bed, Lucian and Brynn share desire, though both keep their emotions locked away.
Where I got a wee ticked was his wanting the child and she saying she would give him a son for her freedom. Women just don't carry a child for 9 months and then turn their back, and this is a little trite to boot. Then he says if she wants a child she will have to pursue the conception? Shakes head? I felt like Jordan changed characters on me.
She is a strong writer that keeps me coming back time and again.
Just one of these days she is going to get it perfect and WOW!
on 27 December 2001
This is a great reading material for romance fans and one of the better ones by Nicole Jordan. This is a story of Lucien (from Passion and Seduction) and Brynn. He was looking for a bride and she was trying to stay away from love and romance due to a curse in the past. He was deeply attracted to her the first time they met and even knowing about the curse surrounding Brynn that any man she fell in love with will die, he proposed and finally after some strong persuasions, Brynn agreed. The problems starts when Lucien suspect that Brynn might be a spy and traitor while Brynn was trying hard to distance herself from Lucien so as not to fall in love with him...As usual, this book is filled with sizzling romance and hot scenes typical of Nicole Jordan. This is a good addition to add to her collection and a great start for new readers of her work. It is well written with great characters. Its worth a read!
on 9 February 2002
The first two books she wrote were very original (I thought). This was also good but the spice that was in the other two is somehow not as strong.
I can imagine it's difficult to write an original Regency Romance (there are thousand out there) but she managed it twice before.
Perhaps it's the way that the heroine seems less than in charge of her own fate that didn't appeal to me. The hero wasn't really in control of his situation either - I like a completely unreal hero (RR's are complete fantasy to me