on 26 November 2016
The advice definitely helped me understand my little one. Learned to let go the control. We sometimes think as parents we own them... But they are individuals of their own and we shouldn't impose our ideologies on our children.
on 8 March 2015
Makes so much sense when you read this. Anecdotal, so can be picked up and put down when you have a few minutes.
Has given me a few ideas of how to deal with my children when I would usually be tearing my hair out. Worth a read for any parent
on 14 September 2017
Good read and some really good points. I 've already tired to incorporate some of the games/advice and is working well with my shy but playful 7 year old son
on 30 December 2016
Beautiful book. Actually engrossing, as I breastfeeding feed, and it reminds me to be lighthearted
on 13 July 2014
This book has some very good insight into how children communicate through play. The author makes good points about how important it is to be involved in your child's playtime and offers practical solutions. He has a good style of writing which is informative and passionate about the subject, without being judgemental of the reader.
on 10 July 2017
This has changed my life and approach to parenting.
on 1 April 2017
Great info and easy to read
on 21 February 2016
This book is lovely, tells you how playing with children whatever age their are is important in your relationship with them. Through playing many issues between a parent and a child can be solved. Playing is so very important in child's life and if only adults could turn into children and play which is the only time when we stop using our minds and just enjoy and do things for a fun not for a reason, life would be very different for all of us :).
on 26 July 2016
Wonderful book, packed full with anecdotes. There's a lot of expert wisdom in there, though, and a healthy dose of common sense. I read the book carefully and have applied some of the ideas, and I can say they have really helped to turn bad moments into opportunities for growth in my relationship with my son. I would heartily recommend this book, and it is up there with other classics like How to Talk so Kids will Listen and Non-Violent Communication.
on 3 July 2016
As a new parent who has not been around kids much in the past decade, I found it awkward to talk, connect and play with kids. Reading this book (and How not to f***k them up and How to talk so kids listen) has helped build my confidence in this area completely.
I am already noticing the difference with my boy - he laughs lots now, I don't loose it over the little things that used to drive me mad - we play and laugh about them now. We make time to play and really connect a few times a day. Our boy is going to be a more confident child because of it.
It's actually fun to play with my friends' kids now and I can occasionally give ideas that help prevent meltdowns - it feels real good to be able to help and read children better!