VINE VOICEon 19 September 2017
I've been given this book to read for a college course and was really excited. It was first published in 1951 and was the start of a post-apocalyptic genre which has become very popular today. This story become very famous in the 1980s when it was filmed for the BBC, imprinting the image of the triffids in everyone's minds. I had never read the book though.
It's a fairly small book at 270 pages, split into 17 chapters and is written in the first person narrative. This makes it really feel as though you are seeing the world though Bill's eyes, which is rather ironic based on the blindness that has hit the population.
All the way through I found it fascinating to think about the author's thought process - was it sci-fi? was it fantasy? or is it rather prophetic?
As the reader you really get a feel of the narrator's shock at the events as they unfold and appreciate how quickly the new world becomes normality to him. Bill's voice is strong and consistent through all that happens to him.
It's intriguing to see the instinctive reactions of those that have been blinded and how that effects the behaviour of those still able to see.
The writing is intelligent and stands up well to the passing of time. There is an ageless quality to the disaster as once the electricity goes then this world could be anytime in the past century.
I found the story telling brilliant and never doubted the plausibility of the plot. The reader's intelligence is never questioned and there are no obvious answers to anything.
Time passes and is dealt with well without the dates being fed to the reader on a plate.
Initially the story is based in London and I particularly like that as I could recognise many of the places that Bill was exploring with fresh eyes.
A classic book that was bought as a gift.

Being a Penguin printed classic there is a typical paperback available. If you're reading it yourself, that will be fine, if like me you are buying this for someone else, this hardback is a beautiful looking thing.

I never like to say to much about a story when reviewing books or films, so all I'll say is this is a classic Sci-Fi story about some killer plants, think along the lines of War of the Worlds and other late 19th early 20th century books of this type. It's a classic for a reason.
on 10 May 2014
This is my second reading of 'The Day of The Triffids', I enjoyed it this time as much as I did the first time I read it. The story is original and a classic, with some of the themes being very relevant today.

The characters are well written and I found Bill to be a interesting character.

I find the Triffids very creepy and there are genuine moments in the book when you feel the tension, especially at the start when the Triffids use the opportunity to slay as many people as they can because they are blind. By the end of the book the Triffids are in charge but there is hope for the future of humans too.
on 14 August 2017
A long standing favourite book for me. The story has been the subject of several films, and tv and radio producers all seem think they can produce a better story than the author, and plainly they cannot. Why they pay big money for the rights to film a book and then mess the story about so much that it's almost like a different story always puzzles me. Why do I like the book so much that I've read it several times? Because it is well written, fires the imagination and makes one think, and is believable to a degree.
on 12 February 2017
The title is misleading, since the triffids are a secondary ingredient of the novel. Well-constructed, well written, a bit tedious occasionally, some survival philosophy, no real end but rather an outlook. I won't read it again.
on 6 August 2015
This is a good story about society coping with a huge shock - taking a mix of ideas from Islam to feudalism to suggest possible options for a different future. Better than my memories of the TV series from the 1980s. Good read
on 3 March 2017
Great except the last 2 pages of the book were missing!!!
on 5 April 2017
I really enjoyed this book. Intrigued from start to finish.
on 10 August 2017
Can't wait to read it. Would make an ideal gift.
on 22 May 2017
This book is a real page turner. Definitely worth reading.