on 7 June 2005
I feel it always takes time getting into new books, the style of the author and the setting. As far as the Expanded Universe goes i think i skipped ahead 10 years so i missed out the Solo kids pretty much growing up, but that wasn't a big problem. The author pretty much got down their personalities down early and well and left no confusion about where they stood and who they where.
The whole ExGal thing was a little long winded, i understand that what happened had to happen that way to develop the plot, but it still dragged a little and that was probably the only bad part of the book.
It was always difficult for an author to set the scene for a long running series, as with The New Jedi Order series, and even more difficult to have to kill one of the main and best loved characters off in the first book of that series, but i was pretty satisfied with this book when i had finished it, and was looking forward to the second in the series.
on 7 December 1999
What can I say?
This is possibly the most eagerly anticipated Star Wars book since Timothy Zahn took up the pen for the Hand of Thrawn duology. Once I started this book, I didn't put it down again. Reading it from cover to cover was too easy! Well done Mr Salvatore. Beware, this book will shake the core of the Star Wars Extended Universe and you may not like the way it goes around it. Don't blame the author though, it was a request to Salvatore by George Lucas himself that the story takes this dramatic turn. Overall, an excellent edition of the Star Wars Universe!
VINE VOICEon 22 February 2004
Until recently, the only Star Wars books I have read are the ones that have been movies, the famous ones because at that time these were the only ones to interest me. However, after a friend read the whole New Jedi Order series he recommended that I do the same. Rather dubiously, I picked up Vector Prime when heading off on my summer holidays.
I found that the book starts quite dull and have to admit that I was bored. It was certainly not what I expected and I could not really get into it. I found that, due to not reading any of the previous books in the series, I was confused with some of the new characters. It was only after the third chapter that the book started to grip me and I then found that I could not put it down. I think this was because I started to grasp who was who and began to understand where the plot was going.
The story line was fantastic, especially at the end (I don’t want to give any thing away, so no details!). It was great to see well-beloved characters again, Luke and Han Solo etc, and to see where their lives had lead them after the film had ended. In this book you will find a great read and a few surprises, I can’t wait for the next one.
I would recommend that you read the books in between first but this one is definitely worth the read.
on 6 August 2000
Sensibly, this new story line puts several years between Zahn's Hand of Thrawn duology and thankfully the new threat is far more interesting than the former conflicts involving Imperial remnants and super-weapons.
The Yuuzhan Vong, with their fleet of living warships, become the biggest threat to the New Republic since the days when Thrawn was actually alive. It is their total difference to any past enemies that make this story such a winner. You really cannot see our heroes beating their supreme enemies, especially when a hero of old is sacrificed.
Han and Leia's children have developed wonderfully into three very different, but very strong young Jedi, and these three have been elevated to central figures alongside their more illustrious predecessors. This is a clear sign that this storyline is moving away from the comfortable old heroes that we know and love, and is all the better for it; they can't go on forever, but we are seeing other characters more than capable of taking up the mantle.
My only gripe would be the over reliance on human characters, we need another Dorsk 81, and that some of the Jedi, particularly Kyp Durron, just don't act like you know Jedi should. Yoda would be turning in his grave, but he'd like the book.
on 1 April 2015
Really like Salvatore's books I've read quite a lot especially the books for forgotten realms and I love this new series the enemy don't hold back punches and some good twists really recommend before Disney destroy it all lol
on 22 November 1999
What a disapointment!
Good storyline idea but lacking in character desription. I just could'nt relate to the villains, who had very good potential but just did'nt live up to it. I hope this idea is expanded on, but possible with a different writer (No offense to R.A. Salvatore but the characters need more depth)
on 25 June 2000
How do you describe this book ? By say that this is THE FORCE of all books. The JEDI of the book universe. Basically it is just a darn good and interesting STAR WARS novel. If....no.....When you buy it buy the hard back for a great picture of the star wars galaxy if the front page.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!
on 25 August 2005
This was my first Star Wars Novel.
As I thoroughly enjoyed it, I can safely say it will not be my last.
R A Salvatore has crafted a tale that is fast, exciting, introduces the new reader to a host of characters very well, and sets up the threat from a new and interesting alien menace.
A comprehensive list of achievements for a relatively short book.
My favourite characters, aside from the Aliens and the movie characters, had to be the Solo kids. I look forward to seeing how their relationships and skills develop over the series.
Notable highlights for me included Jedi lightsabre duels with the aliens (these I felt were written very well) and an amazing display of flying from the three solo kids - read the book to see what I mean !
A great start to the New Jedi Order- Recommended !
on 28 January 2000
Well judging by this book we are in for a rough ride for the next couple of years. The Yuvahan Vong (sp?) are scary people and I don't think everyone will make it out the other side. Anyone who is a Star Wars fan and hasn't read this yet should click on 'add to shopping basket'. You won't be disappointed.
on 9 July 2013
I am only half way through this but i like the way its starting off and cant wait to see it develop over the 21 books in the series. I came to this series after reading the stories further ahead tied in with the Dark Nest Trilogy, The Fate of The Jedi etc and references to the Yuuzhan Vong made me want to know more about their part in the Star Wars saga. I'm enjoying it so far!