Customer reviews

TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 January 2017
This book consists of the three novelisation tie-in's to the original "Star Wars" trilogy. If you're a fan of the films then I very much recommend this item, as the novels do offer some additional content - in terms of more depth and detail regarding the characters and the galaxy they occupy. While each novel is entertaining in its own way, they are of varying quality. But taken as a whole, they offer an exciting way of experiencing the "Star Wars" saga!

The first novel - entitled "Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker" (1976) - was ghost written by Alan Dean Foster, with George Lucas taking the credit. I'm amazed that Lucas continues to have his name attached to this novel, as it's well-known that he didn't author it. Even so, recent editions now state it's written by 'Visiting Distinguished Research Professor George Lucas' - which is certainly a grand title! Unfortunately this isn't a very well-written story, and Foster's attempts to inject life into the narrative often fail. It is, at best, a run-of-the-mill novelisation that poorly rehashes the screenplay. The film - written and directed by Lucas - is so much better!

The second novel - "The Empire Strikes Back" (1980) - is by Donald Glut, and it's a major improvement over the first. We're presented with a fun and exciting read, which closely adheres to the film while also adding greater depth of narrative. Likewise, the third novel - "Return of the Jedi" (1983) by James Kahn - is well-written and entertaining. Indeed, we're presented not simply with an engaging and fascinating story but with quite a bit more dialogue as compared to what's featured in the film. We learn, for instance, more about how Anakin Skywalker became Darth Vader (including details about the lightsaber duel on a volcanic world), and about how Palpatine became the Emperor.

Since the latter two novels make-up for the flaws in the first, this trilogy is worthwhile. Indeed, even the first novel is interesting in its own way - as it demonstrates an early conception of what Lucas intended for the story of the film. Overall, this rather large book (over 600 pages in length) is certainly worth a read.
on 20 May 2017
Fantastic, it's the original Star Wars story what more needs to be said.
on 9 March 2017
Quick delivery and amazing quality
on 25 August 1997
If you liked the movies, this book is something that you should find quite agreeable. "Star Wars" is probably not as well written as the other two stories(a friend of mine remarked that "it reads like a script"). Still, read it if you must. The writing gets better with "The Empire Strikes Back", but I think it would had been a lot better if Glut had gone into detail a little more. Still, even if it is missing something, it's still good. "Return of the Jedi" surprised me. Many critics say it is the worst movie in the "Star Wars" trilogy, as it can be constructed as weak and childish in some respects. Yet it makes for the best book of the three! Since it is best, of course, to read all three books in sequence, a compressed edition should be very convenient. I would recommend this book to most "Star Wars" fans I know. But on the whole, I'd rather just go out and see the actual movies instead.
on 2 January 2004
After watching the star wars trilogy over and over, I am still not tired of it. This book is the chance to get details never mentioned on the films. You can go deeper in each character's mind and re-live that amazing story. Increadibly, only the first book was written by George Lucas. And thats, on its own, already explain a lot! Go for it!
on 7 January 1999
If you want to know the original story of Star Wars then you better read this. It tells how George Lucas origanaly thought of the Star Wars Saga. He changed the story alot when he made the three movies. So if you want to see what George added and took out of the movie you have to read this book.
on 6 July 1999
George Lucas weaves awesome tales of realistic science fiction. These 3 stories are the best science fiction pieces I have ever read. They are witty, charming, and humurous. The creativity in these stories is astounding! The characters are great! George Lucas combines romance with action, and danger, for the Star Wars triliogy. Anyone who likes science fiction, I highly recommend these books. The movies are just as great, so see them too!
on 8 February 1997
This is the best Star Wars reading experiance I've ever had! (Not that I've had alot) Within one volume, you get to experiance 'a galaxy far, far away' in a complete sense. To tell you the truth, I enjoyed the books more than the movie. I am sure that if you enjoy Star Wars, you will LOVE this book. The only complaint I can offer is that this book is a little much at one time. If you can watch all three movies in row, I'm sure you'll have no trouble reading the whole book at once. I myself was only able to finish the second story before I took a long break. In conclusion, GET THIS BOOK!
on 17 July 1999
I haven't seen the movies in years so after seeing The Phantom Menace I decided to read the trilogy (actually I couldn't buy the movies and BlockBuster was always out). It was great! The thing I liked the most was overall the complete trilogy is very short (less pages than Zahn's Heir to the Empire). And I didn't feel cheated by the lack of pages, things happened quickly and seldom got boring.
on 3 February 1999
If you love to read, and you LOVED Star Wars, this trilogy is fantastic. It goes more in-depth, with the thoughts of the characters, and it's a fantastic potrait in words and is like the movies, but only better.