Format: Paperback|Change

on 4 August 2011
A very good read. At the high standard set by the first Cherub series and Henderson's boys, this new series does not disappoint.

It is a very nice mixture of more of what we have come to expect yet different enough to be an excellent series in its own right.
A difficult balance to maintain but, fortunately, the author hits the mark / balance spot on.

If this is your first book by Robert Muchamore, and you enjoyed it, you should definitely read his other books. You won't be disappointed.
on 13 August 2011
Peoples Republic by Robert Muchamore was gripping and entertaining, it had me hooked and I read it in less than 24 hours.
This book is the start of a new series, and the book is written in chapters that change from characters viewpoint, and Peoples Republic changes from Ryan Sharma, a new agent eagerly awaiting his first mission, and Fu Ning a disruptive Chinese student, who's life is about to drastically change. This book is just as good as all the others in the previous CHERUB series, but I think it's slightly more adult, (like Shadow Wave, or Brigands M.C.) I will be buying the next in the series out in 2012!
on 10 August 2011
when i finished Shadow Wave i was left really rather disappointed, it wasn't the book it could and should have been. whether this was due to james adams as a character being stretched too far or the time restraints of producing 2 books a year we shall never know.

this, however, is an entirely new installment in cherub history. we follow ryan sharma on his first mission, thought to be routine but turns out to be the biggest in cherub history. he must investigate the aramov clan, based in krygyzstan, by befriending ethan aramov, grandson of head honcho irena.

we also meet fu ning. adopted when she was small by fu chaoxiang and his scouse wife ingrid, she is naturally athletic and has a rebellious streak. but when her stepfather is arrested for trafficking people into europe, her life is turned upside down and she must do anything to escape dandong, china. but to what end?

People's Republic is fresh and exciting. muchamore has returned to the style of writing we saw in the early cherub books, but this series does not feel like it was tacked on the end. it is amazing in its own right not just as a follow on from the original 12. it is not obligatory that you read the original cherub series prior to this but i feel a familiarity with cherub, campus and it's inhabitants would allow you to enjoy aspects of the book more.

i for one cannot wait to delve back into the tale of ryan sharma, his nutty mates and one very heroic yucca plant. this book is well worthy of the five stars i have awarded and i have high hopes for guardian angel, it's sequel.
on 30 August 2011
Great book, clever start to a new series. well rounded characters and fast plot. Ideal springboard for continuation of series. Ideal teenage fare.
on 24 October 2011
As the founding member of THE NO PROJECT, an independent public awareness initiative against Human Trafficking, I am absolutely thrilled to see an author bringing this crime to the attention of young people through literature. Can't thank him enough. A leader in his field. THANK YOU! Incidentally, I am an author of teenage educational material myself, and I COULD NOT PUT THIS BOOK DOWN. GREAT STORY -and that's coming from someone who knows trafficking from the INSIDE. Without doubt I shall do all I can to promote this book on anti trafficking sites that teens and parents visit! THANK YOU.
on 1 October 2015
I'm a huge fan of the CHERUB series and I've started reading the spin off series, Henderson's boys, too. I started reading these books when I was in high school and I've been following them ever since, albeit slowly. While I finished CHERUB a while back, I've yet to catch up on the other two series, including this one.

This book definitely wasn't disappointing. It had all of the traits I've grown to love from Muchamore, especially his sense of humour. While you can expect lots of action and suspense from his reads, the humour is what separates them from other books featuring a plot based on espionage.

I will mention, as is the case with a lot of series, that CHERUB holds a special place in my heart. I followed those characters for a long time, so to be reading about the same place and some of the same supporting characters, I missed James terribly. I couldn't help but compare Ryan to James and how he first behaved on the same campus with the same teachers.

This book seemed to be a lot more plot driven than the CHERUB books. The other series focused a lot on James and his character development and for a 12 year old, Ryan seemed a lot more mature than James did in the beginning. It wasn't necessarily a bad thing, it just gave the book a different feel to the other series and made it stand out quite a bit. It wasn't more of the same stuff.

I'm definitely interested to see what happens with this whole Aramov clan - it was interesting to find out that one mission will carry on across a few books.
on 8 August 2011
More of the same great stuff from Robert Muchamore. If you have read is other books then you may be slightly disappointed at the relatively entirely new cast, but this well written book does disappoint. A great double-barrelled storyline is well handled and exciting for teenagers in particular throughout. If you haven't read his previous books then I would recommend reading them first, although they are not a necessity.
on 29 April 2013
My son has nearly all the Muchamore books and reads and re-reads them regularly, as a teenager I was concerned that he might find it difficult to source books to be read for enjoyment. The Cherub series really does get readers hooked and I cannot ask more than that.
on 21 April 2013
What an ending and what a book I can't wait for the next book and you CHERUB fans keep reading CHERUB books I loved this book I couldn't stop reading I am now going to buy the next book right now definitely 5 stars Robert Muchamore never disappoint with his books
on 20 July 2014
I was never a kid who read I hated it, I would always play on a device before bed but know I read. YES this book turned a 13 year old boy who never read into someone who had to be told to stop reading and go to sleep. i would recommend this series to anyone who hates reading. I would read the first book "the recruit" to read first as the books would make a lot more sense!