on 5 June 2015
The henderson's Boys books were the first of the CHERUB books that i read. I was riveted from start to finish. However there are some obvious mistakes in the series which could have been avoided by some research:
Just as an instance:-
In the earlier books SS?Gestapo officers were given military not SS ranks (happily in the later books this was rectified)
In one book we had a captain, in army uniform visiting the establishment. An army captain is lower in rank than a naval commander, so would not have been called sir or saluted first by Henderson.
.The sergeant who was in charge of parachute training was called sir by a lot of people. NO! Maybe the 'kids' would have called him sir but anyone else would have addressed him as sergeant, sarge or sar'nt.
The sergeant who trained the 'kids' as snipers was referred to as an Air Force sergeant. He would have been an Army Air Force sergeant.

Little details but as I said - a little research would have avoided this.

I was not keen on the many references to thrashings and to even suggest that Henderson would have authorised a 'birching' of one boy by another just a short time before a mission is kind of ridiculous. The only related issue that I found slightly amusing was when Marc was caned on his bare backside by a tiny nun for fighting.

All in all, though, I really enjoyed the whole HB series, and was sorry when there were no more to read.. .
One person found this helpful
on 24 February 2012
From the very start this book captures your imagination, and takes you into World War two. The main character Marc tries to bust out of a german prison with four other inmates, and so the adventures begin. I strongly recommend this book to other eleven+ readers, I have read all the "Cherub" & "Henderson boys" series and this is one of the best yet.
5 people found this helpful
on 3 April 2013
The book follows on smoothly from Grey Wolves. Written in Muchamores usual style and flows easily. As an adult it is nice to have a book that moves along at a pace that keeps you interested and not bogged down with minute details. Fast flowing but with lots of emotion, feeling what the characters are going through. Recommend the whole series of Henderson boys and Cherub to young and old. Thoroughly good read
on 7 July 2017
Son read cover to cover great book
on 26 November 2016
I like the story very much. It is a facinating read and would recommend it.
on 2 May 2017
like it, good book
on 26 June 2017
Brilliant, that's all I can say.
on 3 August 2013
Great for a 13 year old. He also loves Muchamores Cherub series. Does worry me slightly that he won't let me read them until he's finished the series though.....have read lots of good reviews and the school recommends them.
on 16 November 2017
: )
on 7 March 2014
My 12 year old son started with the Cherub series and when that was finished he romped through the HB series. Bedtime lights out are challenging as he says "but I'm at a good bit" the thing is he's always at a good bit! Thoroughly recommend.