Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 April 2017
Probably the best one that i've read in the series so far. Very funny and can't wait to read the rest of them! (Lily aged 10)
on 9 May 2017
This book was amazing. I really love reading the adventures of Hiccup and Toothless with my dad.
Sam aged seven
on 26 July 2017
my son loves these books
on 28 December 2007
David Tennant is a truly wonderful narrator. He brings the characters to life, unfortunately now my son wants me to read the books aloud and I can't compete (could David pop round to my place at about 8.00pm?!). All the Hiccup books are wonderful for children, boys especially, full of all the gross humour they love. Recommended.
33 Comments| 8 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
NOTE THIS IS A REVIEW FOR THE AUDIO VERSION READ BY DAVID TENNANT.

I love audio books and as an educator have always taken an interest in children's books.
The reason?
To see if I think they are worth reading, are at the right reading level, to see if they will grab the attention and... a confession to enjoy reading or in this case listening to them.

I can honestly say this audio version read by David Tennant exceeds expectation on all four counts.

And if you include the extra proviso for an audio book.
Which should be is the reader any good at reading the book?

then make that five.
Make no mistake this is five star book.
Inventive, funny, amusing, and the vocalization by the angelic Tennant is wonderful.
He is up there with Kenneth Williams and Stephen Fry and that is some compliment.
When Tennant reads Cowell's wonderful tales you are convinced that all the characters are there.

How the heck I have missed this excellent series for so long is beyond me.
This is my first book but it will not be my last.
100 per cent recommended.
33 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 March 2017
Excellent read. The book is full of quality and I would certainly recommend buying it as I was always on the edge of my seat. Although you can't adjust the size of the writing and you can't highlight words on the kindle edition. But apart from that, a fantastic novel.
on 25 October 2010
great book - we all really look forward to my 6 year old's bed time as it has us all in giggles - language is just right - not too simple but still easily understood and my 6yo can read it himself if he puts his mind to it. I caught him reading some to his friend on a play date which must be a great reccommendation.
on 16 October 2010
This book is REALLY funny, I liked the bit where Snotlout told Hiccup the snow will turn as blue as Gobber the Belch's nose before you become chief, and it really did come true!!! Leon, age 6
on 25 October 2009
My sons first books he's chosen himself to read alone!! Saved a fortune buying them from seller. Tone is pitched perfectly at boys 8-12. Better than Potter for boys
on 13 September 2010
My 7 year old boy absolutely loves this fantastic series of books. Having been given the first in the series for his birthday last Christmas, he was hooked and begs for the next in the series to be bought.
"An exciting adventure with dragons and monsterous monsters".