Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

NOTE this is a review of the AUDIO BOOK Version read by David Tennant.

This is my second audio book in the series by Cressida Cowell.
The reason I was so quick to get this one was that the the first How To Cheat A Dragon's Curse was so good.
How To Train Your Dragon: How To Cheat A Dragon's Curse: CD [Audiobook, CD, Unabridged]

This is its equal it is a marvelous book but it really is racked up into the great ratings by David Tennant's marvelous reading and his interpretation of the characters. He truly is outstanding. He is on a par with Tony Robinson's readings of the Terry Pratchett Books and Stephen Fry's Harry Potters. And that is some compliment.

He really makes the characters his own. His range is brilliant from the Hero Hiccup and his pet Dragon Toothless to all the other and myriad characters including the Roman Galley crew and Leaders- you can almost smell the garlic and Olive Oil in their accents - not to mention the Soured Herrings and Whelk Sandwiches of the Vikings!

The story is amusing for children and adults alike and well the trouble is it really whets your appetite for more of the same.

In this one we get to meet the Romans (Boo) and The Bog Rustler's Heir Cami Cazziie Hooray- all 4 foot 4 and wild sword play. not to mention talking the hind leg off a donkey whilst doing it!

The good news is that there are quite a few.

So I am off with Hiccup read by David Tennant another of Cressida Cowell's wonderful voyages!

Terrific!
on 25 April 2017
I would give it 10 stars if I just could. We bought the first book & audio CD 3 years ago - and still read/ listen to them regularly. Just now my son is listening to them to fall asleep. What can I say - you will have heard about the film and potentially series, but this is SOOOO MUCH better. Its funny, witty, incredibly exiting and at the same time thoughtfully dealing with topics like being an underdog, outsider, struggling to grow up and finding an identity. Hiccup, the unlikely hero of the story, struggles with a strong father figure and a naughty bite-sized dragon, gets himself in increasingly deadly situations and - somehow - with the help (or in spite of the hindrance) of his friends manages to survive. David Tennant is an excellent narrator - so much so that:
1.having listened to the audio books on our journey from London to Scarborough - having finally arrived we did not get out of the car as we wanted to finish the story first (at this point my kids were 5 & 7 respectively).
2. Having lent a friend the audio CD he first did not return it for 6 months and then proceeded to buy the series
3. My son has now re-read the books twice
4. I have proceeded to use it in my scout (Beaver) sessions to read regularly to the kids - and a group of 24 children is QUITE and well behaved so they can listen to the story
5. Even without the kids my husband and I listen to the audio CDs on car journeys
I cannot praise these books highly enough - they make me feel a child again
on 2 September 2017
A great addition to an interesting series, it is fun to watch as Hiccup and Toothless seem to be ever failing as viking and dragon despite their growth from the last one or at least apparent growth. I would like to see how they grow and change through time.
An enjoyable and easy read good for anyone with preteens looking to keep them occupied with romans and vikings.
on 15 June 2017
Bought for my daughter as she loves this serious of books
on 12 June 2017
Really good audio book expertly narrated by David Tennant
on 30 July 2017
Great book!!! In Reasonably good state..
on 22 April 2017
I really liked this book a lot.
Can't wait to read the next book.
Sam aged 7 and a quarter.
on 11 March 2017