Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Learn More Pre-order now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 1 December 2010
My wife borrowed this book from the library a while ago, and I read it to our 2 year old. It was enjoyable and fun, and then we came to the last two pages. I'm not a sentimental type, but I don't mind saying that I cried (a bit embarrassing with a two year old on your lap!), I didn't expect the ending at all.

This book works on so many levels, you can relate it to an enormous range of life situations: it can be all about valuing friendship; it can be about losing a loved grandparent or other relative; it can be about moving to a new home and leaving friends behind; it can be about appreciating the value of someone who may be physically or mentally challenged; the list goes on. To me, the last two pages are almost inspired, the text is perfect and the pictures moving.

There are a lot of kids' books out there, some are good, some are great, some are indifferent, some are genuinely poor. Some are special. This is a special one.
on 9 November 2006
Maybe it's just me but Wibbly Pig's Silly Big Bear has everything a good book needs - comedy, pathos and a bitter sweet ending.

My children love it and so do I.
on 9 October 2014
...from Mick Inkpen.

You don't have to be clever to matter...and when bear is gone...(awww!)...Wibbly is a bit sad!

From the back cover:

'Wibbly Pig's silly big bear can't even use a spoon to eat his peas.
But even so, we will really miss him when he's gone,
Being clever is not all that counts.
Mick Inkpen's funny and poignant story explores this simple theme.'

'A Nestlé Children`s Book Prize BRONZE AWARD Winner.'

28 shiny high quality pages with large text, enlarged, or reduced in places for emphasis.
Endearing illustrations throughout, as always.

Example of text:

'Wibbly Pig has a bear so big, he can hardly fit on the page!
He eats his peas one at a time.
It takes him ages!
Because, you see, he cannot use a spoon.
Yes, spoons mean nothing to him.
He eats his ice cream with his paws,
and gets it
everywhere!

Wibbly's bear is not very good with a potty, brushing his teeth or combing his hair, either......but he can do lots of other things, which are pretty impressive....for a bear!
on 31 August 2008
I don't understand why a reviewer has given this one star! It's such a wonderfully written and illustrated story. At once uplifting and poignant, about job of friendship, accepting people for what they are and loss. The author has done a SUPERB job at making these thoughts accessible and understandable for such a young target audience. It's not at all 'weird' as the one-star review suggested.

Buy it for your little one. You won't regret it. My three-year old has started having this read to him at bed time. I think its a slow burner with a lot of mileage in it, as he's obviously thinking about the meanings behind the book. It has become a favourite with him and with us (the readers).
on 8 August 2008
If it were possible to give a book four hundred stars out of five, this would get them. It is sublime. Wibbly Pig conveys the sheer joy of simple, unconditional friendship, and the melancholic sadness of it's passing. But it is not a sad book. It is life affirming, whether you are three or ninety-three.

With seemingly simple pictures and very few words, Mick Inkpen brings us what is simultaneously a funny picture book for under fives, but also a story with more meaning, more durability and more real human emotion than many a Nobel Prize-winning author. Only one book on a desert island? Yep, it might just be this one.

Wibbly Pig makes the world a better place, and there is no higher praise than that.
on 6 January 2008
I really don't understand the one-star review for this book (below) which seems to miss the spirit of the book. It's great fun, very sweet, and could only really be marked down for being a little too sentimental.

It's a sweet little story about an enthusiastic but not very capable bear, who is Wibbly Pig's best friend. His character is described (and drawn) beautifully and consistently as a bumbling but uncomplicated soul. The end simply says that when our best friends are not around we feel sad - and can you really argue?
on 5 May 2011
I got this book out of the library for my 2 and 4 year olds - they love it and I liked the underlying message so much that I am buying several copies to use with my trainee teachers to challenge their thinking about how pupils are labelled by the things they can't do rather than seen as individual humans who are deeply loved by their families and who can do many amazing things.
on 30 April 2010
Bronze Award winner of the Nestle Childrens Book Prize 2006,- and it's obvious why this won an award. Beautifully illustrated, the story is so heart warming and definitely has the "again, again!" factor. I would imagine that children would find the bear funny, loveable and the tale endearing.
on 15 May 2008
from Mick Inkpen.

You don't have to be clever to matter.........and when bear is gone......(awwww!)......Wibbly is a bit sad!

From the back cover:-

'Wibbly Pig's silly big bear can't even use a spoon to eat his peas.
But even so, we will really miss him when he's gone,
Being clever is not all that counts.
Mick Inkpen's funny and poignant story explores this simple theme.'

'A Nestlé Children`s Book Prize BRONZE AWARD Winner.'

Endearing illustrations throughout, as always.

Example of text:-

'Wibbly Pig has a bear so big, he can hardly fit on the page!
He eats his peas one at a time.
It takes him ages!
Because, you see, he cannot use a spoon.
Yes, spoons mean nothing to him.
He eats his ice cream with his paws,
and gets it
everywhere!

review image
on 28 October 2011
I am 6 years old and i love Wibbly pig because i like it when silly big bear eats peas with the back of his spoon, it is very funny. It is a weeny bit sad but is funny and nice too. I think every family should have this book.