Customer reviews

The Money Secret
Format: Paperback|Change

on 17 April 2016
I first bought this book in 2012 and it inspired me to tackle the debt problems I had accumulated in the "boom years" of borrowing and impulse spending. I found myself reading it again in April 2016 with retrospective eyes. Quite simply, this book changed my life completely.
In essence and following the book's advice, I created a budget sheet to track income and expenditure, which exposed my bad habits and challenged my reasoning, as well as how I had fallen for techniques used by the "system" to get me to spend. I cut back all my expenses, downsized into a cheaper apartment and prioritised my debts and I expanded by budget sheet to track debts and repayments, interest and more. I became a savvy spender - using vouchers, working out the total cost of items and using cash - to stop impulse buying. I began to challenge offers and made sure I read the small print. Four years later I own a property and I'm debt free. Although the book warns of "loyalty schemes", I collect Avios points and ensure my card is paid off every month, which requires strong discipline. Any Hire Purchase I take out I am sure to pay before the interest free period ends, although I find I don't need it these days. In all, I learned how to discipline my finances and myself, and how to save leftover money towards a rainy day. This is a fantastic book and I read it alongside "Simple Wealth" by Andrew Costello, which taught me how to save and invest as well as network and develop my career. The two of these books changed my life.
on 13 January 2016
Wise advice. I have read many books on debt but wish I had discovered this one sooner. It really explains how people become trapped in debt, usually by the marketing and selling tricks of the shops, banks and lending companies. I especially like the way its been written. It almost reminded me of the way the story of scrooge was told. Looking in from the outside with plenty light bulb moments. It is different and really interesting and by the time you have finished reading it, you'll want to try your damned hardest to pay things off just to get one up on the large organisations that you enticed you into debt in the first place.
on 23 May 2013
This is the best book I've ever read in terms of financial advice. It's written in a very straightforward and sensible way so it's not full of technical information or jargon but it turns your financial thinking completely on its head. I have stopped using my credit card with immediate effect in favour of cash and keep telling anyone who will listen about Stupid Alice and the cups (read the book if you want to know more!) I enjoyed it so much the first time that I'm now reading it again and adding notes and highlights so I can't praise it enough...
on 7 March 2018
What a marvellous book! Full of practical wisdom, told in a story , so easy to read and understand.
I would thoroughly recommend this book to anyone wanting to take control of their finances for life.
on 18 February 2011
The Money Secret is an excellent book for anyone, regardless of your financial situation. However, it will be most helpful for those struggling with debts or other financial problems, and will encourage you to see that you needn't be ashamed of your financial problems but that you can bring them under control with some really simple methods.

The book is told as a story, which is both heart-warming and easy to read. At the end is a section of resources to help you with your finances, and if needed, a seperate workbook is also available. I would recommend this book to anyone working with groups who struggle with managing finances, or just for your own awareness, should you or a friend go through similar situations in the future.

There are no 'tricks', 'sales-pushes' or the like, just a book written by someone who truly cares for the large number of people around the UK, who are secretly buckling under the pressure of debt and financial pressure. A super book.
on 20 March 2014
This book is for the average person; it conveys the importance of money, the benefits of money, the problems with money - all encaptured in a relatable story about a woman trapped in debt.

Why isn't this stuff taught in schools?
on 12 September 2013
It's the kind of book you read about the way you should probably do things if you want an easier life, and you smack yourself because it's not rocket science! EXCELLENT book.

I bought this book several times ages ago but kept lending it out (as well as buying it for everyone I told about it) and now I want to read it again.

New cover, too... excited!
on 20 May 2017
I'm an avid reader of the Rob Parsons collection. Easy reading and absolute common sense. I think it's about applying these processes to every day life.
on 6 December 2013
This is written in easy to read and interesting story format. It has so many good points about the 'hard to learn' life skill of managing money which we all have to do. I have read it a couple of times and still learn things.
on 14 February 2017
Brilliant book giving excellent tips as to how to save money and the reasons why people get into debt. Good for group work.