Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

on 16 March 2017
Fantastic, insightful book. Has really helped me to understand what's going on inside my teenage daughter's mind and the challenges we face on both sides in terms of parenting and being a teenager growing up in today's world.
on 21 June 2017
Brilliant book full of excellent advice - every parent of a teenager should have acopy.
on 16 August 2017
very informative
on 19 May 2012
Highly recommend this book as it saved my relationship with my teenage boy ... Its such an eye opener ,recommend it to all parents out there trying to do their best for their children in their difficult teenage years
on 2 February 2013
I brought this book as I am in the middle of the teenage experience and feel like I am loosing the battle more and more each day! This book has given me hope and that really is the best I can hope for!
on 3 June 2012
This book saved my son's life and prevented me from spending the rest of my life in prison. Just so happens that few hours after I read the first few chapters our teenage son shared his long term plan not to go to Uni and instead become a professional skateboarder. Thanks to this book the peace and quiet of the family evening was not broken... Do by it!
on 21 April 2013
Not really one for self help books but found this book thoroughly entertaining - thought provoking - and so very true. If makes it all sound so easy lol - don't know if I'm going to manage to put the theory into practice however as I'll have probably forgotten it all by tomorrow :( but if I manage just one thing that's got to be better than going in blind x
on 25 May 2007
My kids are just slipping into their 20s so I identified personally with most of what Rob Parsons said in this book - I wish I'd read it before going through some of the unexpected and inexplicable events of the last 10 years. It is good practical eye-opening stuff which helped me understand some of the things we experienced and are still going through. It was a really easy read - just as well as it pressed both my laughter and pain buttons. That said.... I never felt 'lectured to' - it felt more like an arm around my shoulder! Parents - read it - it will help!!
on 7 June 2007
To any parents who are struggling through the teenager years - grab this book now! Having read all the Parsons books, I knew it would be good but this one is probably going to top the list with parents. Having emerged slightly the worse for wear from this stage of parenting myself, I appreciated the opening message "It's Normal!" and the theme of reassurance for both parent and teenager that runs through the book. The fascinating statistics are well researched and the explanation of how brain development affects teenage behaviour is particularly interesting. Stressed parents everywhere will appreciate the keys for dealing with the really testing teenager and identify with the stories of those going through so many of the same situations as themselves.

This book is informative, helpful and encouraging - yet another success for Rob Parsons.
on 25 May 2007
As a parent, foster parent and youth worker, I've found this book practical, realistic and very easy to read.

I loved the many true short stories that Rob Parsons incorporates in the book, both positive and negative, all helping the reader in their parenting role - some made me laugh, some made me cry - I couldn't put it down once I'd started it!

It's crucial as parents we get those teenage years right and the chapters in this book on bullying, sex, internet use, drugs, self esteem and more are valuable advice for anyone living with or working with teenagers.