on 2 April 2016
I always enjoy Sara Paretsky's books and this was no exception. Her stories are well crafted and usually keep me guessing. This one, started with a murder in a cemetery, of a controversial figure, at a time when some youngsters were having an 'initiation ceremony'. VI Warshawski became involved and was warned off by the influential grandfather of one of the girls. The story has many twists and turns and kept me engaged to the last. It was a pleasure to read a well-written book with no gratuitous bad language, and an original and somewhat controversial storyline.
I've read all of the VI books to date and will certainly look out for them as they come out.
on 10 February 2015
The best things I can find to say about this book is that it moved at a pace and gives an airing to the seedy side of US politics. There's also inter-generational friendships played out sitting around on stoops and shared gardens in a way that feels like the author is giving us a lesson in how things should be. Our lawyer, turned detective hero is no Sherlock Holmes and feels so rough and clomping it comes as a surprise when she puts on a pair of high heeled shoes. I was reminded of a book I read many years ago where Jackie Collins was trying to write a character based on Tom Jones, but he came out more like Bernard Manning. The whodunit required the entire inhabitants of a small town to have been struck by inattentiveness for a day. This was the first Sara Paretsky novel I have read and I should say I'm not a regular reader of this genre so you have take what I say from that perspective, but it does have the benefit of objectivity.
on 24 April 2016
Sara Paretsky is a genius. I am dreading reading the last book of the series as I have so enjoyed keeping company with this feisty reflective and flawed female protagonist. (You gave us a scare at the end there Ms Paretsky, but I'm glad we get to read a few more!) Her characters are so well written and so believable in their imperfections, and as for the plots....If challenging our brains is supposed to stave of the horrors of old age, then holding the complexity of Paretsky's plots in our heads will definitely help ! Do I recommend? You bet ! Enjoy them all.
on 22 March 2014
IF YOU ARE A VI FAN THIS LATEST SLOTS INTO HER SERIES - GREAT RESEARCH- GREAT ERUDITION - -THE WELL LOVED CHARACTERS ARE THERE -- THE ANGST AND SOUL SEARCHING IS THERE -- THE DETECTIVE WORKS MOSTLY ALONE FLLOWING HER HUNCHES USING HER SKILLS BUILT UP OVER THE YEARS - - STORY LINES SENSATIONAL -- BACK GROUND STRUCTURE SUPERB
on 28 January 2018
Vintage Paretsky. Recommended.
on 31 July 2017
I hadn't read one of her books for several years. This was very enjoyable.
on 4 December 2014
Sara Paretsky never fails to deliver. Only 4 stars because I felt a little as if she was working to formuila ... but a great formula, none the less. Perhaps, in this case, the final ending was a little weak - but an enjoyable read.
on 3 November 2015
Parestsky is such a consistently good detective fiction writer. Good characterisation, action well described, not the best story.
on 1 April 2018