Customer reviews

on 20 September 2010
Review for the 2008/Hodder Children's Books edition.

KIPPER comes of age - 18 years - believe it or not - with this super new story, from Mick Inkpen, which introduces a couple of new characters.

From the back cover:

'A little squeaky mouse comes running across the page and hides himself inside the 'foldy bit' in the middle of the book.
Will the cat find him?
Not if Kipper can help it.'

Measuring in at around 22.75 cm x 25.25 cm, a simple but appealing paperback cover opens to 32 high quality shiny pages, presented in 2-page spread format.

Example of text:

'Kipper was sitting on the first page of this book, wondering what sort of a book it would turn out to be, when a little squeaky mouse came running across the page.
'Are you in this story?' said Kipper.
But the little squeaky mouse said nothing. It ran straight across the page and disappeared into the foldy bit in the middle of the book...', as a nonchalant Kipper looks on, on the right-hand page!

And so the story continues with text on one page, enhanced in places for effect, along with the odd speech bubble to join in with.
The main picture is on the other page but, occasionally, meanders across the two, for one reason or another!
KIPPER'S Toybox makes an appearance, along with some of the usual occupants, such as 'Big Owl' and 'Sock Thing'...and 'Big Hill' features, so regular KIPPER fans have a follow-through theme to recognise, resulting in the whole 'Kipper Collection' generally getting an airing!

Great for reading out loud, with the opportunity to act out the more challenging aspects, such as 'waggled his bottom', which usually ends in fits of laughter, even though the adult members try hard not to as the youngest try to partake!

The seemingly simple Inkpen artwork is detailed enough to offer great scope for drawing and colouring-in the characters, in class extension exercises.
A bit of counting is included...and who would like to get their tongues around the word 'ridiculous'...maybe even hazard an attempt at spelling it?

This story has proved to be tremendously popular since its arrival this term, not just because of the unusual theme, but that aforementioned opportunity as a narrator to be...a little squeaky...and a little...well...sneaky...as this unusual story unwinds!
'Ssshh!'
Can't say too much or I may spoil it!
on 5 November 2015
Have bought this well in advance of giving it as a gift, but based on the success of the other Kipper books I've bought, I'm sure my great-niece will love it come next October when she's four!
on 9 April 2014
I thought this book was thoroughly enjoyable, my daughter spent hours reading it. I would recommend this book to children of all ages. i gave this book 5 star ratting as it was well worth it.
on 29 January 2009
I bought this for my daughter for christmas and we both love it. Just as well really, as we both now know it word for word, we've read it so much!!
A very clever plot device is used to perfection and the familiarity of the hero is a comfort and a joy. You won't be dissappointed.
on 8 May 2015
My grandaughter loved this book
on 13 March 2014
Mick Inkpen's Kipper series never fails to delight both the reader and the listener. Such simple illustration but so effective.
on 26 December 2014
Essential bedtime reading
on 3 December 2012
I am delighted to rate this book highly my grandson really thinks there is a little mouse hidden in the book
on 26 February 2013
Kipper is sitting on the first page of a book, wondering what sort of a book it will turn out to be, when a mouse comes running across the pages and disappears between the pages! Kipper tries to look for him, but it turns out that the mouse is trying to hide from a cat, so Kipper offers to help him. First the mouse manages to hide in Kipper's toy box, then behind Kipper's ears, but the cat keeps coming back. Eventually, to Kipper's dismay, the mouse is captured, but it turns out that this game of cat and mouse is a playful one!

My two-and-a-half year old daughter loves Kipper, and has enjoyed sharing this particular story very much. Inkpen's illustrations are gorgeous, as always, and the playful side of his writing really comes through in this story (the constant references to the reader reminded me of 'Bear', another popular tale in our house). This is a story that will amuse parents as well as children, and comes highly recommended.

This review refers to the hardback edition of 'Hide Me, Kipper' published by Hodder Children's Books in 2008.
on 3 February 2010
I only bought this book yesterday and felt I had to come straight on here and review it, I was so impressed. It's a really novel way of telling a story and so funny - in fact I had difficulty reading it to my 2 year old son because I was laughing so much (maybe I need to get out more). We both love it and would highly recommend it.