on 3 July 2009
I cannot recommend this book highly enough. I only got it today but have already devoured it! We head off to Scotland in a few days time and I am so excited about the things we will be able to do that I would not have originally thought of. When reading Jane Brocket's book I was transported back to my childhood...how I wanted (longed!!) to be one of the Famous Five, or dreamt of living in a house like Green Gables!

The place where we stay has so many opportunities and because my daughter will have the company of another little girl this year the ideas in the book will provide countless hours of fun....combing the beach and rockpools, adventures in the forest, roasting marshmallows as we watch the sunset over the lough and Scottish mountains.....!!! Maybe there'll even be lashings of ginger beer!!
on 17 November 2015
I bought two copies of this book, one as a present and one for myself. I now have two grandsons and want them to have adventures through the love of books, its working! Actually I am having just as much fun as them!!!
on 22 October 2012
Doing What Children-Characters Do in Great Children's Books
This superb book is one I would have liked to have written.
Jane Brocket has looked back at what must have been some of her favourite reading as a child, and/or as an adult reading classic children's books, and identified things that the characters in the books do.
Then she has provided extra explanation and encouragement so that YOU can do them too!
Naval flag semaphore, for example, used as a code, in Arthur Ransome's "Winter Holiday".
Having a spontaneous picnic in a tree, as Pippi Longstocking does: tossing mugs up from the ground to her friends sitting on branches, ...
And many more!
The choice of books is amazing.
The activities are engaging.

This book is a double-stimulus to DO THINGS (real activity, not just watching MTV, playing computer games and Wii, and FaceBookery and online whatevering), and to READ and/or re-read great books.

As a child, decades ago, I was similarly inspired to try eating the thinly sliced dark brown bread, and thinly spread margarine, and thinly spread jam, served in Eric Williams' classic World War II escape story "The Wooden Horse".
I similarly enjoyed the games and activities and origami in "Rupert Bear Annuals".

An absolute must-have for school and town libraries, and for every Middle Years school teacher!
John Gough (Australia) - jagough49@gmail.com